BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a ride yesterday, going about 60mph, gave the bike slight throttle to accelerate and bike seemed to hesitate, then caught and accelerated. This happened about two more times before I stopped for gas. Filled up and pulled away, going around 70 and it happened again, but this time the yellow warning triangle and ABS lights lit up solid, so I pulled over, extended the side stand to kill the engine, then tried to power down the ignition, but to no avail - ignition would not power down. Decided to limp home the remaining 60 miles which I did without incident, except that the cruise control would not engage and neither would the hill hold control. Once home I was able to shut the bike off by pressing and holding the ignition button down.

Fired her back up, rode around the block, all indicators cleared and the HHC was working, was too slow to test the cruise control.

I am now thinking that the bike was not hesitating but in fact was shutting down and "bump starting" itself and firing back up. Perhaps the last time it happened the bike did not reboot itself, hence the lit up indicators and dysfunction of the cruise control and HHC.

The bike is a 2015 GT, 48,000 mi, original battery. Temps were in the high 90's.

Any thoughts as to what might be the cause?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My thoughts are that there's an intermittent problem with one of the ABS sensors kicking on the traction control, but I would check the stored error codes which should confirm.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
You need to pull the codes and go from there.
Duane

·
Registered
962 Posts
You may also want to have your battery tested. Sounds like it may be going bad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The OP stated it was the original battery from a 2015
I see that, but wouldn't it be wiser to get it tested at a place like Autozone, free of charge.

You may also want to have your battery tested. Sounds like it may be going bad.
Also, if the problem occurred while its running the alternator should keep it going in spite of an aging battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even if it's only a couple of months old?

Is there any technical basis to your suggestion that you could share with us?
I would replace a 6 year old battery just on general principal. You're on borrowed time with a battery that old imho. And I would put an oem style battery in and not a Batteries Plus or similar battery supplier one back in.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Was out for a ride yesterday, going about 60mph, gave the bike slight throttle to accelerate and bike seemed to hesitate, then caught and accelerated. This happened about two more times before I stopped for gas. Filled up and pulled away, going around 70 and it happened again, but this time the yellow warning triangle and ABS lights lit up solid, so I pulled over, extended the side stand to kill the engine, then tried to power down the ignition, but to no avail - ignition would not power down. Decided to limp home the remaining 60 miles which I did without incident, except that the cruise control would not engage and neither would the hill hold control. Once home I was able to shut the bike off by pressing and holding the ignition button down.

Fired her back up, rode around the block, all indicators cleared and the HHC was working, was too slow to test the cruise control.

I am now thinking that the bike was not hesitating but in fact was shutting down and "bump starting" itself and firing back up. Perhaps the last time it happened the bike did not reboot itself, hence the lit up indicators and dysfunction of the cruise control and HHC.

The bike is a 2015 GT, 48,000 mi, original battery. Temps were in the high 90's.

Any thoughts as to what might be the cause?
I had a similar incident on my 2012 after a service. Turns out that one of the battery cables was loose. Give them a quick check and then pull the codes.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting codes checked tomorrow, have a slot on a friend's GS911.

Already had decided to replace the battery as a possible culprit and due to its age. Have an Odyssey PC680 on the way.
Thanks for all the input, will report back.

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - I inspected the battery connections, both were tight but negative side had quite a bit of corrosion. Removed both leads, cleaned terminals and reconnected. Rode about 30 mi to meet my buddy with the GS 911 with no issues, bike performing fine. GS 911 did show a front wheel speed sensor fault code, and a "tank switch error", whatever that is.

My plan is to install the new battery on Monday and cross my fingers that will clear everything up. Hopefully the front wheel sensor fault was a one time event.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Had a similar problem at 85 on I10, the dealer tried everything BMW recommended eventually replaced the throttle assembly after a month in the shop.
This is a common problem BMW is aware of but no recall as of yet. (2018)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update 2 - Installed the PC680 and went for a ride today. Everything perfect for about 50 miles then same problem returned - @1004ron you hit the nail on the head, faulty wheel speed sensor as evidenced by the codes.

Anyone replaced one of these things before?

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the wheel speed sensor also the ABS ring sensor? Is it very dirty or damaged?
Yea it's the same sensor. Not dirty and doesn't appear damaged although interestingly enough, I hit a rock that split apart about 30 miles before the problem started.

Fortunately it's an easy fix, pull the front wheel and the left side panels, and plug in a new sensor. About $175 for the part and a 6-pack for my labor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'll take another look when I get home, but I don't think you need remove the wheel.

Make sure the left pinch bolt it tight and the left axle sleeve hasn't shifted.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll take another look when I get home, but I don't think you need remove the wheel.

Make sure the left pinch bolt it tight and the left axle sleeve hasn't shifted.
There's a cable "race" on the inside of the left fork that has to be removed to remove the sensor cable. Can't get to it without pulling the wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts