BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my K1600 GT won’t fire up. Initially all was ok. Out for a ride and came home and parked up on the drive. Went out later. Key in,all lights on etc on the dash as normal, press start and nothing. No start or noises etc. Battery fine and charged. Left it for a few hours, then went to try to start it and it started first press of start button. Was fine for approx a month. however, Same thing happened yesterday. Went out, no issues. Came home and parked up. Would not start but all lights on dash etc as normal. Read the advice about leaving the bike in direct heat, hot starter switch etc but nothing. Read about the faulty starter switch and the advice of by-passing the starter relay (drill hole and insert a pin). This worked and the engine turned over as normal but would not start. Any advice? All other function work on left controls (wonderwheel, indicators etc and on the right controls the mode button goes through the choices as normal but the kill switch does nothing nor the central locking button (not sure if this works without engine running anyway). Besides the obvious problem with the kill / start switch needing repairing / replacing, what could be preventing the bike from firing up if the relay is by-passed and it turns over as normal but will not fire up? Never had a problem with it starting before. It’s a 2011 model. Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check that as it clearly is faulty and will need to be replaced regardless. What the pressing issue is why it still does not fire up when I by-pass the switch via the starter relay. It turns over as normal but won’t fire. This indicates to me a separate (or connected) issue as the bike should fire up if the relay is by-passed (as this, in effect, ignores the issue with the Kill switch). I could be wrong but that is my understanding

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,205 Posts
I believe the kill switch could be holding you out from starting even though you force the starter motor to run.

I have a BMW service record showing the switch recall has been done on my 2013 that I bought last year, and the dealership confirmed that with a VIN status report.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
+1 @1004ron , sounds like the handlebar switch recall wasn't done. The original switches were ALL bad.

Duane

Reactions: Lee510

·
Registered
534 Posts
Seems like I remember reading that when the bike was left outside in the heat and direct sunlight, the switch would get warm and fail to allow the bike to start. Temporary solution was to wrap the switch in a bag with some ice. Things cooled and the switch would function normally. This was prior to the recall for the bad switches. If yours hasn't been done, your dealer should still take care of it. I'm not aware of any time limitations on recalls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your kick stand is down it wont start...

·
Registered
K1600 GTLe
47 Posts
It's just a process of elimination as far as your able to go with what you have, then if no joy - into a bike shop for diagnosis.
I've just had a problem with my f750 GS not ticking over when it got up to temp. I'd have never found the problem had I'd been out of warranty, apparently turned out to be an air intake split o ring ..all sorted now. I know dealers charge for their service but you do have a high end complicated bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you find?
It’s off to the garage Tuesday. Mechanic seems to agree that it’s the switch but he can diagnose this on computer (whether kill switch is on or off etc). Start from there really. Hopefully as straight forward as that. Change the switch. £190 from BMW though but it has to go in for a service anyway so will have it fixed at the same time. Small price to pay of it gets it going. Could have been worse if I had been out and about on it. Thankfully it happened at home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s off to the garage Tuesday. Mechanic seems to agree that it’s the switch but he can diagnose this on computer (whether kill switch is on or off etc). Start from there really. Hopefully as straight forward as that. Change the switch. £190 from BMW though but it has to go in for a service anyway so will have it fixed at the same time. Small price to pay of it gets it going. Could have been worse if I had been out and about on it. Thankfully it happened at home.
Turns out to be the kill / start switch. Apparently the start switch also operates the fuel pump so by passing the starter relay simply operates the starter motor (hence why the engine will turn over when doing this but won’t start as the bike is still detecting the kill switch is off and the fuel pump is not activated). Mechanic replaced the kill switch control and all is ok. Just waiting for the service to finish now and it is all good to go.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Having a similar problem.

Bike started right up after sitting on the tender for a week. I stalled it outside my house about 30 seconds later. From that point when I try and start the bike it turns over for about half a second but won't start.

Lights on, dash on, looks like it's ready to roll. Bought a new tender that measures the battery charge - normal - and left it on for 24 hours. No change. The "starting noise" it makes is identical every time - half a second of what sounds like normal starting operation and then silence. The consistency makes me think it's not the battery?

2016 K1600GT with original battery so it might be time for a new one anyway? I could swap the battery and if problem persists then it's time for a tow? Thanks all,

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,205 Posts
2016 K1600GT with original battery so it might be time for a new one anyway? I could swap the battery and if problem persists then it's time for a tow? Thanks all,
The best would be to get the battery load tested at one of the auto parts stores.

From what you describe it does sound like its incapable of delivering the cranking amps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts