BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
It's a Vanson Leathers thing, and my wife and I own several of their excellent products (although none of the bones stuff). It's something that used to be common and popular in flat-track racing, so if you have an Indian FTR as it appears he does, and can handle the attention (I certainly couldn't), it would actually be kinda cool and appropriate from an historical perspective.

But on your point, when we were young, my wife didn't get the American blue collar "always wanted one and never could afford one until now," when you're over 50, 'Vette thing. Once, a guy whose about our age now and was driving one was acting like a D-bag about her Japanese sports car, and she told him, and I quote, "Aww, you need to feel important because you drive a Corvette. I'm sorry about your d**k." :eek: Perspective and wisdom changes with age, obviously, but unlike most nice, middle-aged 'Vette drivers, the guy was a jerk and had it coming.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
It's a Vanson Leathers thing, and my wife and I own several of their excellent products (although none of the bones stuff). It's something that used to be common and popular in flat-track racing, so if you have an Indian FTR as it appears he does, and can handle the attention (I certainly couldn't), it would actually be kinda cool and appropriate from an historical perspective.
I'm also a Vanson fan and have several products of theirs. I've always thought about the bones but frankly always skipped them because I'm not sure how they would stand up to years of abuse. My favorite perf jacket is pretty broken in (and bears some road rash) so can't imagine that the bones would look as good. Or maybe that just would give it more character.

james

·
Registered
131 Posts
While not my cup of tea I wouldn't jump to the conclusion the guy is trying to make some sort of statement or compensating for anything based on his preference for riding gear.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's something that used to be common and popular in flat-track racing
Not sure of the size of Dave Aldana's "member", but from what I remember of watching him at Brands Hatch in the late 1970's riding in the Trans-Atlantic Trophy match race series, he had balls the size of water melons...

(Not big enough to best Barry Sheene though ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I admire strong women
I do, too, or I'd have run away long ago. Working in a male-dominated business, when she has to entertain folks from out-of-town, she makes it a point to order quality bourbon, neat, and enjoys watching the mens' eyes open wide. Sends a message before they start talking business.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
At least he is wearing a jacket (and gloves, and helmet, and boots, and armored pants).
Indeed. I have 4 Vanson jackets (2 of which even still fit me 😁), and if you choose their "regular" weight leather instead of the "firenze" leather which is more like that from other mfgs., it's nearly as thick as the leather in a horse's bridle. It's like breaking in a new baseball glove, but once you do, it's comfy.

Sure, a hard impact may still kill you (they're stuck with using the same quality armor as every other good mfg.), but sharp things are less likely to penetrate, and you will not (see @jamesg68 's post above) EVER have road rash where you are covered by a Vanson.

For the Vanson-curious, a good summary is: Absolute best leather in the business; next to NO features, apart from those designed to regulate air flow.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Huh, back when I rode this everywhere, I was told that IT was compensating for an undersized package. Hey, whatever I may or may not lack in size, I make up for in enthusiasm. :sneaky:

Reactions: XPLSV and capav8r

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This actually tickles at the core of one of my peeves; misplaced bravado. Your choice of ride and how you present yourself is your brand and none of my business. Personally, I don't do this consciously; I don't wear colors or do teams. I do like to hang out and observe people; I love parties and I definitely help to make them better. My wife says I treat them like a science experiment.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This actually tickles at the core of one of my peeves; misplaced bravado. Your choice of ride and how you present yourself is your brand and none of my business. Personally, I don't do this consciously; I don't wear colors or do teams. I do like to hang out and observe people; I love parties and I definitely help to make them better. My wife says I treat them like a science experiment.
Are you saying that I have misplaced bravado? You don't know me, sir. I simply thought it was a rolling work of art so I bought it. It belches flames out of that 3" dump pipe when you blip the throttle! Who doesn't like that!?!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sorry, @Vandaldog I can neither confirm nor deny your bravado. I was referring to the theme, but I see how that looked. For what its worth, I am intimidated. ;)
Huh, I wasn't trying to intimidate. Must be that badass chopper that scared you. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Huh, back when I rode this everywhere, I was told that IT was compensating for an undersized package. Hey, whatever I may or may not lack in size, I make up for in enthusiasm. :sneaky:

View attachment 143370
Yikes! IF you're not joking, and that was really your ride, and you didn't put an Airhawk or similar pad on it, I would want smaller daddy-parts, because if they weren't tiny, they'd soon be bruised and bashed to death. When I'm caught on full sport mode on the K1200S suspension, and then hit a really bumpy construction patch? If I don't think to immediately grip, HARD, with both legs? Ow! Ouch! The jewels!

Then my wife's Triumph TFC Bobber is worse and feels almost like a hardtail, so if that IS a real hardtail, as it appears, while VERY beautiful, I think actually riding it would equate to a medieval, testicular torture device.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Sorry, @Vandaldog I can neither confirm nor deny your bravado. I was referring to the theme, but I see how that looked. For what its worth, I am intimidated. ;)
As am I. The issue here wouldn't be so much size as materials. Regardless of size, I'd think his stuff would have to be titanium to take the pounding. The very thought of having to ride that for more than 15 minutes on good pavement, or at all on less than that, gives me the shivers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts