BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/new-portland-barbecue/

"Portland Has the Best Texas Barbecue Scene Outside of Texas
Some of the brisket you’ll find in the Austin of Oregon ranks right up there with top joints in our state."

"Kyle Rensmeyer missed Texas barbecue dearly when he left Dallas in 2014 for a job in Portland, Oregon. Finding brisket to match what he’d enjoyed at Lockhart Smokehouse and Pecan Lodge was a struggle. “There was nothing like that up here,” he said, so he bought a smoker for his backyard and started making his own barbecue. In May, he started selling barbecue as a weekend side gig. Two months later, he quit his day job and opened up four days a week at his Holy Trinity Barbecue trailer. Now he’s one of several impressive barbecue operations in a city that might have the best Texas-style lineup in the country outside the Lone Star State."

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good barbecue is a powerful motivator. During the nearly seven years that my wife and I spent in California for the military, we searched persistently for it. Never found any. Fortunately we were able to make frequent trips home to Texas, and moved back long ago. The food scene here is pretty fun.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I may tout the virtues of the Golden State, but I'll concede this point to y'all.:grin:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Joe's (formerly Oklahoma Joe's), located in a working gas station in Kansas City, is as good as BBQ gets. The late Anthony Bourdain gave it a spot on his list, "13 Places You Must Eat Before You Die."

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Had some decent pulled pork from a place in northern sub of Minneapolis called "Smokey's". Haven't tried their brisket, but have heard it's good. Not bragging (well, yes I am) but doubt it would beat out what I've learned to do here at home on the kamado. I like my brisket trimmed and usually toss the point...not into burnt ends. Costco sells the primes, and after trimming and 12 hours in the smoke it's fairly good.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
You may disagree but I like Famous Dave's. First discovered it in Minnesota, then they got to California. We have several near us.

·
Super Moderator
16,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You may disagree but I like Famous Dave's. First discovered it in Minnesota, then they got to California. We have several near us.
There are tasty BBQ offerings across the USA as BBQ is so popular now.

Famous Dave's is sauce heavy, as many prefer their BBQ to be. Thick sweet sauce. Even poorly prepared, or poor quality meat, tastes good with enough sauce.

When looking for brisket in other states, I find that what is served is much more like roast beef than I care for. So dry that it takes a lot of sauce to make it flavorful. When I ask for "moist" or "bark" everyone looks at me like I'm speaking another language. Well, I guess I am, it's Texan.

Texas BBQ is unique with a focus on the meat. Beef, pork, steaks, pork chops, turkey, different sausages, etc... All about meat. Sides are usually just OK.

When the meat is the highest quality and prepared well, no sauce is needed. I often add a tiny bit of Volcanic hot peppers and sauce to modify the meat flavor, but never enough to hide it. Ribs should never "fall off the bone" because that is overcooked. There should be the perfect amount of tug by the teeth to cut the meat from the rib bones. Brisket should be moist with juices flowing. Yes, moist = fat, but as we all know fat = flavor.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Love that TX brisket. But equally love that KC que I was raised on. I think it is all getting better at mom n pop joints because the science and history is widely shared. And regional differences are more understood so expectations of what is called BBQ don’t lead to disappointment as often.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Joe's (formerly Oklahoma Joe's), located in a working gas station in Kansas City, is as good as BBQ gets. The late Anthony Bourdain gave it a spot on his list, "13 Places You Must Eat Before You Die."
Texas doesn’t have the corner on BBQ. KC Joe’s like you said is good and here in StL we have Pappy’s , Bogarts and Sugarfire. Also check out Roy’s in Hutchinson Kansas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/new-portland-barbecue/

"Portland Has the Best Texas Barbecue Scene Outside of Texas
Some of the brisket you’ll find in the Austin of Oregon ranks right up there with top joints in our state."

"Kyle Rensmeyer missed Texas barbecue dearly when he left Dallas in 2014 for a job in Portland, Oregon. Finding brisket to match what he’d enjoyed at Lockhart Smokehouse and Pecan Lodge was a struggle. “There was nothing like that up here,” he said, so he bought a smoker for his backyard and started making his own barbecue. In May, he started selling barbecue as a weekend side gig. Two months later, he quit his day job and opened up four days a week at his Holy Trinity Barbecue trailer. Now he’s one of several impressive barbecue operations in a city that might have the best Texas-style lineup in the country outside the Lone Star State."
My son lives about 2 miles from Trinity. I'm going to have him check it out. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts