BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
17,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The “Parrot Zik by Starck” Wireless Headphones | The Audiogon Hub

First introduced at CES 2012, the Parrot Zik by Starck over-ear headphones have caused a stir among computer audiophiles. Featuring superior noise-canceling technology, these headphones allow the user to not only listen to music wirelessly, but also make and receive phone calls with excellent clarity, thanks to the Jawbone Sensor mics built into the ear cup.

An embedded NFC chip enables the listener to pair a NFC capable smartphone like the Blackberry Curve or Nokia N9 with just a tap on the outside of the ear cup, and Bluetooth 2.1 technology makes it just as easy to pair other devices like the Apple iPhone or the Droid RAZR. Flipping through tracks or changing volume are as simple as a swipe of the finger on the right ear cup. One of the coolest features is the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chip, which allows the listener to choose one of the standard EQ settings, like Parrot Concert Hall, or manually adjust the EQ using the companion iOS or Android app. Another great addition is the accelerometer, which automatically pauses or plays when the headset is removed or in use.

The unit houses 2 outer microphones (for noise canceling), 3 smaller interior mics, the Jawbone sensor, a micro-usb port, and a battery that provides between 5 – 20 hours of wireless listening, depending on usage. Once the battery runs out, you can switch it out for the optional back-up battery, or simply use a 3.5mm audio cable for passive listening. Some reviewers thought the headphones were a little heavy at first, just over 12 ounces, but felt that Philippe Starck’s sleek design handled the weight comfortably.

Available at the end of July, the Parrot Zik by Philippe Starck is certain to be on any mobile audiophile’s gadget wishlist.

·
Administrator
17,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If BMW offered this quality in their Alpine unit I doubt that it would make much improvement to the harsh reality of the low bit-rate compression offered by Sirius.

It would certainly help with the listening enjoyment of music on USB drives, or personal music sources.

If this caliber of music reproduction can be fit into a headphone, it could certainly be fit into a helmet.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Looks good and probably sounds good as well. It shows what can be achieved with bluetooth:gm. A bit pricey though and not easy to use under a helmet:D, which is mandatory in Europe.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
RL- DOn't get this. Sirius sounds very good, although not audiophile quality, in my cars. A huge difference from the bike's very poor quality. It is not all Sirius.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Administrator
17,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RL- DOn't get this.
You guys are missing my point.

There is a way to make a Bluetooth system that works well, as evidenced by this headphone.

It is obvious that BMW chose not to incorporate systems included in this headphone in the Alpine unit.

Same can be said about the two Bluetooth units for the Schuberth helmet.

I have no interest in this product because I am happy with my Autocom wired set-up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree with you RL, I use a uclear bluetooth, in helmet speakers, put foam plugs in my ears and the sound is very good. When I use the phone, (I'll answer the phone but find a place to pull over) I come through clearly over the microphones attached to the speakers. Bluetooth is capable of carrying all the digitized information needed for a high quality of sound reproduction. I'm of the opinion that this was a manufacturer's attempt to lock their customers into using only OEM equipment. I say that because my gear works great until I link to the Alpine unit. I'm not sure I've even seen anyone comment that they were pleased with the BMW communicator.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts

There is a way to make a Bluetooth system that works well, as evidenced by this headphone.
I did get your point ;). Bluetooth itself is fine and can provide great audio quality. I do not have the BMW bluetooth, because I already had a Zumo 660 and Cardo G4 headsets (and based on the comments on this forum I do not regret this). The sound quality of the built in MP3 player in the Zumo combined with the Cardo G4 is good enough for me :gm, even with custom made earplugs. I like my music while driving, but do not require HiFi on a bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts

It is obvious that BMW chose not to incorporate systems included in this headphone in the Alpine unit.

Same can be said about the two Bluetooth units for the Schuberth helmet.

I have no interest in this product because I am happy with my Autocom wired set-up.
RL, thank's for sharing this. I agree 100%. I have a GTL and I'm not very happy with the bluetooth sound quality over my BMW system VI helmet. Is there any solution at all?? What would you recomend for a music freak?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did get your point ;). Bluetooth itself is fine and can provide great audio quality. I do not have the BMW bluetooth, because I already had a Zumo 660 and Cardo G4 headsets (and based on the comments on this forum I do not regret this). The sound quality of the built in MP3 player in the Zumo combined with the Cardo G4 is good enough for me :gm, even with custom made earplugs. I like my music while driving, but do not require HiFi on a bike.
RL, you say you have an Autocom wired setup? I'd like to know more. I'm a GL1800 Goldwing rider and I'm looking at switching to the GTL1600, but all the chatter about sound system has me confused. I'm used to plugging in my helmet on my Wing and getting pretty good sound. It seems nobody likes the BMW sound systems but that in order to use the high tech controls on the bike you must use the BMW factory sound system?

·
Registered
12 Posts
is there anybody at BMW willing to listen to and fix the audio quality problems with the BMW system; seems absurd to purchase the BMW recommended system for big money and have all these problems; could there be a software update possible to fix the problems?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was looking at the wires going to the Alpine, I wanted to identify the various connections in the hope of finding a unit with the same connectors. I decided to link the bluetooth and found that my connection was clear, none of the fading out that I had before. It's actually clear enough for me to listen to it now.
I called the dealer who had changed my left cluster switch and he told me they had done an update because so many had complained about the bluetooth.
I do not have volume control with the wheel, it also seems that I might drop the link to my telephone when I shut down the bike, but my main complaint has been cleared up.
I believe as time goes by there will be a complete solution with an aftermarket communications device that will allow us to program the bluetooth along with engine diagnostics. Maybe Hexcode will include this in their package.

·
Registered
71 Posts
is there anybody at BMW willing to listen to and fix the audio quality problems with the BMW system; seems absurd to purchase the BMW recommended system for big money and have all these problems; could there be a software update possible to fix the problems?
Bds, I know it has been a long time since this thread has been created. Anyway just want to let you know that there is a software update for the helmet with the system comm istaled. Version 250, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow, I agree with you. Huge money for a poor sound quality. I guess we'll have to wait a bit more for bluetooth tech improvements. Meanwhile let's adapt to what is avaliable for wireless (bike + helmet), and enjoy! ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The “Parrot Zik by Starck” Wireless Headphones | The Audiogon Hub

First introduced at CES 2012, the Parrot Zik by Starck over-ear headphones have caused a stir among computer audiophiles. Featuring superior noise-canceling technology, these headphones allow the user to not only listen to music wirelessly, but also make and receive phone calls with excellent clarity, thanks to the Jawbone Sensor mics built into the ear cup.

An embedded NFC chip enables the listener to pair a NFC capable smartphone like the Blackberry Curve or Nokia N9 with just a tap on the outside of the ear cup, and Bluetooth 2.1 technology makes it just as easy to pair other devices like the Apple iPhone or the Droid RAZR. Flipping through tracks or changing volume are as simple as a swipe of the finger on the right ear cup. One of the coolest features is the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chip, which allows the listener to choose one of the standard EQ settings, like Parrot Concert Hall, or manually adjust the EQ using the companion iOS or Android app. Another great addition is the accelerometer, which automatically pauses or plays when the headset is removed or in use.

The unit houses 2 outer microphones (for noise canceling), 3 smaller interior mics, the Jawbone sensor, a micro-usb port, and a battery that provides between 5 – 20 hours of wireless listening, depending on usage. Once the battery runs out, you can switch it out for the optional back-up battery, or simply use a 3.5mm audio cable for passive listening. Some reviewers thought the headphones were a little heavy at first, just over 12 ounces, but felt that Philippe Starck’s sleek design handled the weight comfortably.

Available at the end of July, the Parrot Zik by Philippe Starck is certain to be on any mobile audiophile’s gadget wishlist.
I'm surprised some innovative K1600 owner hasn't bought these, torn them apart and tried using them in their helmet.

I think I may have just found my next project!:k16:

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
I'm still amazed and disappointed that no one has made a ANR headset for a motorcycle helmet. I use nothing or foamy ear plugs when I'm out for a short ride around town and my Sensaphonics when on the road for hours at a time. An ANR headset might bridge that gap into a solution that works without the hassle of custom molded earphones. Until then, I'm rockin' the Sensaphonics to protect my ears and they give pretty darn good sound with bluetooth through my Sena.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
blue tooth is compressed and the low frequency is lacking. bluetooth does not sound anything like wired speakers.
You need to try on my Schuberth C3-Pro with SRC, Bose drivers.

Phenomenal! and yes I'm picky, it features plenty of punchy 50hz low-end w/ delicate crisp highs, no hiss or noise whatsoever. I have Bose headphones (wired) as well and cannot tell any difference.

At my last Rally (in Huntsville Canada last month) I had 4 different skeptics try on my bose powered lid, all not wanting to take it off once on and they all gave up the wow factor and HS, I can't believe that man! stuff.

Now that bad part? I got over $1500 in this helmet/comm setup. :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts

Phenomenal! and yes I'm picky, it features plenty of punchy 50hz low-end w/ delicate crisp highs, no hiss or noise whatsoever. I have Bose headphones (wired) as well and cannot tell any difference.

At my last Rally (in Huntsville Canada last month) I had 4 different skeptics try on my bose powered lid, all not wanting to take it off once on and they all gave up the wow factor and HS, I can't believe that man! stuff.

Nice man! Well done! Tell me, can you control it all via your moto (wheel controller and everything else)? I mean, does it work normal with an iPod plugged in your K1600?

·
Registered
256 Posts

I'd like to see pics of the Bose drivers. Where can I get some ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.