BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Really pleased with this, as you can see it comes up on the screen as a Mouse so you can control your phone from the remote ($10). Really handy when I have the phone setup in the Nav dash and want to make any changes. It will fit over this accessory bar so hoping a little soft velcro between the two and it will be snug. If you have the dough-though Carpe Iter make a fancy version of this (Google)

Not road tested yet ..

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hi,

Really pleased with this, as you can see it comes up on the screen as a Mouse so you can control your phone from the remote ($10). Really handy when I have the phone setup in the Nav dash and want to make any changes. It will fit over this accessory bar so hoping a little soft velcro between the two and it will be snug. If you have the dough-though Carpe Iter make a fancy version of this (Google)

Not road tested yet .. View attachment 146609 View attachment 146611 View attachment 146613
Interesting, I also looked at the Carpe Iter version. at €195 it's a bit too rich for me for what it does. I use a Sena SC1(a) set up on both our helmets which works very well. That said my phone (Samsung S9+) interface is less than optimal. Anyone got the 'Hey Google' to work efficiently. I've tried with mine but in a bike environment it simply doesn't work?

·
Premium Member
6,453 Posts
That said my phone (Samsung S9+) interface is less than optimal. Anyone got the 'Hey Google' to work efficiently. I've tried with mine but in a bike environment it simply doesn't work?
I recently purchased a Sena 50S and have been playing with it in my house. Yesterday I was working on the voice commands to my iPhone. "Hey Siri" worked about 1 out of 10 times. The Siri "swirl" would show on the screen and quickly go away. I then used "Hello Siri" which seemed to work every time (5 times in a row), the swirl would stay on the screen, although by then I was mentally exhausted and stopped. I did have my brother call me and I tried answering by saying Hello. It only seemed to work if I yelled Hello. I haven't played with the microphone sensitivity yet which may solve that issue although too sensitive and wind noise may cause additional issues.

The 50S has a phone button that works every time. Ah the joys of modern electronics.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I recently purchased a Sena 50S and have been playing with it in my house. Yesterday I was working on the voice commands to my iPhone. "Hey Siri" worked about 1 out of 10 times. The Siri "swirl" would show on the screen and quickly go away. I then used "Hello Siri" which seemed to work every time (5 times in a row), the swirl would stay on the screen, although by then I was mentally exhausted and stopped. I did have my brother call me and I tried answering by saying Hello. It only seemed to work if I yelled Hello. I haven't played with the microphone sensitivity yet which may solve that issue although too sensitive and wind noise may cause additional issues.

The 50S has a phone button that works every time. Ah the joys of modern electronics.
Hey Jim, I found it almost impossible to use the Siri commands with my helmet on in the house. In my case, because there isn't the noise of the engine, the phone still hears you directly and ignores the Mic. Although my Sena 50 works perfectly with Siri (in motion on the bike), I do have issues on my Cardo unit. I called support, and they suggested using the app to turn down Mic sensitivity. It mostly works now. It might apply to the Sena also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like this idea. Can you program the buttons for things?
Not that I am aware (if your an android programer maybe you could?!) it does have 3 programs though settings though. I want to be able to move around the screen and Select things for Music Programs or Navigation Programs-those are my needs K16 Remote Instructions.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,453 Posts
Hey Jim, I found it almost impossible to use the Siri commands with my helmet on in the house. In my case, because there isn't the noise of the engine, the phone still hears you directly and ignores the Mic. Although my Sena 50 works perfectly with Siri (in motion on the bike), I do have issues on my Cardo unit. I called support, and they suggested using the app to turn down Mic sensitivity. It mostly works now. It might apply to the Sena also.
Thanks John. I guess I need to fire up the old girl and go for a spin with Paul or Jerry so I can test everything out.

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Arizona Jim It's frustrating. Even though I have no issues with Siri commands through the 50S, I can't get the Sena Natural Voice commands to work consistently. I just talked to Sena tech support, and they said the major issue is having the mic too close to the mouth. I'm going to switch out the boom mic that came attached OOB with the wired mic. Maybe that will be the magic bullet.

·
Premium Member
6,453 Posts
@Arizona Jim It's frustrating. Even though I have no issues with Siri commands through the 50S, I can't get the Sena Natural Voice commands to work consistently. I just talked to Sena tech support, and they said the major issue is having the mic too close to the mouth. I'm going to switch out the boom mic that came attached OOB with the wired mic. Maybe that will be the magic bullet.
I used the button mic when I had the SMH10R installed and again with this 50S. My two brothers also use the button mic stuck to the helmet liner material. I haven't tried the Sena commands yet.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
I gave up on the "Hey Sena" voice commands. The Sena Wrist Remote mounted on top of the clutch reservoir suffices.

Duane

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I gave up on the "Hey Sena" voice commands. The Sena Wrist Remote mounted on top of the clutch reservoir suffices.

Duane
Ditto except with the RC4 handlebar remote up front and the RC3 housed in the pannier handle well for 'she who must be obeyed' out back......

·
Registered
773 Posts

Duane
I just got back from a test ride with the wired mic. I called @Arizona Jim to make sure I didn't mess up the phone, and he said the connection was perfectly clear. (y) The "Hey Siri" functionality worked flawlessly like before. Maybe I just got lucky, but the "Hey Sena" commands that I tried worked. All I attempted were the check battery and volume commands, but they worked repeatedly. I made sure to say "Hey Seeeena" instead of 'Hey Sena". Also, the wired mic definitely sits a little further from my mouth than the boom. The next ride out might be a bust, but so far so good.

Siri suffices for most everything I want to do (music and phone), so if Sena commands become flaky, I'll kick them to the curb. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Gunnert @afhorsley well lightning struck twice.

I got out again today and the Sena commands (along with Siri) continued to work as advertised. I was able to intersperse Siri and Sena commands to control all aspects my Apple music and phone, and have Siri direct me to the closest Chevron station. I never had to take my hands off the bars or play with any controls, which was kind of a cool experience. There are aspects of routing all functions of music/phone through my Nav6 that I miss. I liked having the visuals of my Apple playlists and iPhone contacts. And I don't like that since Siri is tied to Internet cell reception, my music manipulation is DOA in rural areas. But overall I'm happy with this hands free approach.

Sena commands shouldn't be so hit-and-miss for different people. It's too sensitive to different variables. Once you get the mic situated just right, I think there is still the issue of voice. If you pronounce a bastardized version of English found in Europe, or outside the western US, you're probably out of luck. ;) Thankfully, there are multiple ways to skin the communication cat.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
@JohnS1955 , shortly after getting the 50S I spent about an hour on the phone with Richard @RKA. I could hold the phone up to the 50S mic and "hey send" worked for Richard, same result with Carolyn. We determined the 50S doesn't speak southern; e.g. I have a deep southern accent. :) I have no issues using Siri voice commands.

Duane

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Gunnert thankfully, I think Siri makes the Sena commands mostly irrelevant. For me, it was just a quest to make the dang thing work. I have a Sena helmet and a Cardo helmet, so keeping all the Sena/Cardo specific commands straightened out is above my pay grade. 😊 Siri is common across everything, so I’ll stick with that.

·
Soupa Mod
2,589 Posts
Interesting, I also looked at the Carpe Iter version. at €195 it's a bit too rich for me for what it does. I use a Sena SC1(a) set up on both our helmets which works very well. That said my phone (Samsung S9+) interface is less than optimal. Anyone got the 'Hey Google' to work efficiently. I've tried with mine but in a bike environment it simply doesn't work?
The Hey Google and Hey Sena both work great in my second 50S. The first 50S was sent back. Few things worked on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts