·
Registered
939 Posts
I want to understand this sir.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I want to understand this sir.
If you are an MOA member you can add your name to a list of folks that are willing to share across a number of things ranging from time, to coffee to tools to garage space to your wife.

Previously it was only available as dead weight (the book, not your wife), now it is in its full glory as an app so no matter where you go, you can look up another MOA member.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
"This app is available only on the App Store for iPhone and iPad". :mod:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't find the app in the apple store. what is the name of the app ? Thanks in advance

OOPS, I found it and installed it, and it looks pretty good, now I don't have to carry the book anymore, although in the last 40 years as a MOA member I have only used the book a couple of times to look up dealers.

BMW motorcycles MOA anonymous app

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
"This app is available only on the App Store for iPhone and iPad". :mod:

Yet another developer pandering to the apple fan boi club?

:serious:

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
BOOOO..!!

Your current state is not in our database....
"...all Canadian dealers and members who have opted in will be added with the first update. "

Patience, Glasshopper...

:grin:

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad to see the book available as an app; but for the app to really be useful it needs a map showing all the members/volunteers or a way to search the database for the area you in.

Duane

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
I'm glad to see the book available as an app; but for the app to really be useful it needs a map showing all the members/volunteers or a way to search the database for the area you in.

Duane
That would not be hard to do. The plumbing is already built. I could show them how, if they want to donate to education.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thank you and will install!

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts

Duane
You can use 'current location' to narrow the scope of the search and then browse for info/numbers. The app has both a phone function and a chat function once you find a likely contact. The easy way to get to someone would be for them to share a location, map link, or address through chat and then copy/paste to google/waze/scenic whatever map you normally use.

That would not be hard to do. The plumbing is already built. I could show them how, if they want to donate to education.
If they got this far they certainly know how to do the mapping. The problem is most likely how they will deal with anonymity issues (the myth of privacy). They would not want to be in a news headline that says someone used the app to find another person for the wrong reason. To go directly to a map view so you can find someones house would be tricky from a privacy perspective (again, GDPR, Anonymity, etc).

To solve the mapping problem..

What they could do is show 'distance' as radius (within 10,20,50, 100 miles without direction or directions) next to each listing. That distance should be a sortable function so you can find the people within a reasonable radius and that way you are contacting people who are in the most convenient and reasonable radius for contact or help.

To solve the anonymity problem...

The easy solution for data exchange would be to add a contact/link function where both parties volunteer to share information directly and the info can be copied to a contacts list or mapping app. The function would show up next to the call and chat buttons as a link button (two hands shaking or something). To use - both parties hold down the link button and when both parties do BMW MOA gets a recording that both parties volunteered to exchange information releasing them from liability and the information is exchanged.

I really don't want yet another app with its own mapping functions and all that comes with it (tracking, errors, etc) on my phone, there are companies that are much better at mapping and I am used to looking at one kind of map, introducing another one (map) is adding complexity without solving any real problems.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can use 'current location' to narrow the scope of the search and then browse for info/numbers. The app has both a phone function and a chat function once you find a likely contact. The easy way to get to someone would be for them to share a location, map link, or address through chat and then copy/paste to google/waze/scenic whatever map you normally use

Please elaborate, I'm missing something. When I use current location it shows the state I'm in and I can browse members in that state alphabetically.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Please elaborate, I'm missing something. When I use current location it shows the state I'm in and I can browse members in that state alphabetically.

Duane
Thats exactly what I meant, I must have missed what you are looking for.

I thought you were just looking for a way to find a volunteer, I guess you wanted more than that (find specifically someone or..) which I agree with but there are privacy concerns. I outlined why the map is problematic, not saying that they won't do it, but I would not and I have to make these kinds of decisions all the time. The way our unfortunate privacy rules are written and the state of the consumer (hair trigger and aimed at blame) makes it very hard to find a line where you can share information without running into privacy or potential liability issues. I offered up a way (there are many others) to solve both issues which I think could lead back to what you are looking for (mapping function and direct search capabilities).

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, not looking for a particular person, just someone within my area, e.g. 20 mile radius, closest to farther, etc. I can only narrow search down to state which I'm located and in alphabetical order.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
To solve the mapping problem..

What they could do is show 'distance' as radius (within 10,20,50, 100 miles without direction or directions) next to each listing. That distance should be a sortable function so you can find the people within a reasonable radius and that way you are contacting people who are in the most convenient and reasonable radius for contact or help.
Even that doesn't hide your location. In about 5 minutes, I could largely triangulate on a particular listing's location to within a couple hundred yards. Once I get a distance from 3 different points, there is only one location on the surface of the earth where that distance works from all 3 points. You could further refine the location by taking additional points.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts