BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 years spread over 5 BMW bikes. R1200 C Montauk, R1200RT, 2x 1200 GSAs, and the current 17+ K1600 GT.

No more.

In 26000 kms (current mileage on my bike) I've experienced 3 satnav replacements, 1 gearbox replacement, and currently a hard to diagnose / fix gearshift pro failure.

Every few months, my bike spends time in the shop. This morning I went in with my bike in, the dealer thought replacing the sensor will fix the gearshift pro - it didn't, now they have to tear it down and fix it and they have no idea when I will have my bike back. Again. Less than a few months after being left without a bike due to the ridiculous gearbox recall which turned into a full gearbox replacement, that left me stranded for months.

I received a high amount of bashing on this forum, after posting about my gearbox problems (enough to ask forum moderators to delete my own multipage thread). The opinion that BMW was becoming a Sunday afternoon bike, meant for low-mileage, high margins, garage queen / trophy status, more than a daily / real life vehicle was the one that proved the most troublesome, for most forum members, here.

Well, reality is once again beyond internet wisdom. Today my BMW fanboy days are officially over. I've stood behind the brand and the bikes for so long, but the BMW transition from a "true, long distance bike" to a marketing hyped pile of fluff is now complete. Marketing has killed the product and the brand. A stranded BMW biker is no longer a rare occurence and it doesn't get a network of corporate pressured dealers to lose any sleep on how to get the rider back on the road asap. I've seen this both in the UK and Romania, across multiple dealers. Corporate HQ is non-existent in the relationship with customers, and they are incredibly disconnected from any form of deep / real responsibility for their product and service.

German top engineering and reliability is, as things currently stand, sorry ... a joke. And with BMW customers obsessing only over which display is better on their 2-3 years, 15-20k miles scheduled upgrade, there is no real pressure to change anything fundamental from the way BMW is doing business. They keep churning out unending iterations of gadget filled machines that are nothing more than disposable, expensive, toys.

Well, sorry, I don't want to play this game anymore. Too rich for my blood, too much mindless consumerism fuelling corporate irresponsibility. My time and money are no longer going to fuel this mess. Feel free to make your own choices - but for me it ends, today.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have had 7 BMW's since 2005 including 3 K16's. I am currently on a R1250RT and enjoying it, no issues so far. I put a thread up last year called "Not fit for purpose" and got blasted for it. I tour Europe each year and of the seven years touring on a K16 I was stranded with overheating problems on five trips, so in my humble opinion if a "Touring Bike" cannot tour without overheating or breaking down, its not "Fit for Purpose" FULL STOP

I am often astonished at how defensive members on this forum are of BMW, the "Mother Ship" that lives in the "Fatherland" are often cited in some affectionate way to dilute the issues that members have had. I have even been told its my riding style that caused me problems.

I hope the RT range is more reliable and I base that assumption on the volume of RT's that are used around the world by emergency services etc. Time will tell.

From a reliability, development and quality point of view, IMHO the K16 brand is forgotten and I agree that it only maintains top step from "a marketing hyped pile of fluff"

·
Registered
819 Posts
We heard something similar from Sir Arthur a while back, largely frustration with overheating problems in the mountains IIRC.

With Euro 5 now in place & the EU derogation period for Euro 4 bikes ending December 31, 2020, choice is becoming very limited. Just wondering what are your plans OP, once you get the quick shift fixed?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We heard something similar from Sir Arthur a while back, largely frustration with overheating problems in the mountains IIRC.

With Euro 5 now in place & the EU derogation period for Euro 4 bikes ending December 31, 2020, choice is becoming very limited. Just wondering what are your plans OP, once you get the quick shift fixed?
It is a sad day when you realize that you have to let go of something you used to love. I feel for you. Good luck in your next adventure.
I have no idea what I'm going to do after this new mess is sorted. I was planning on keeping the k16 for a long time, as there is no other bike that I currently lust for or need. And I've been a BMW guy all my life, but I will definitely not go for another BMW bike - I've had issues with my other BMW bikes, also. I am not ready to piss away any more of my hard earned money on the BMW marketing machine, this was their last chance to get their mess sorted out. I have no idea what the future holds, but for sure not another BMW. The "BWM machine" is, overall, fundamentally flawed and there is no sign of long term resolution to that - except more money from the customer's pocket, in order to 1. either keep fixing stuff after the warranty expires 2. or make a forced upgrade to the next gen, in order to try to bypass the planned obsolescence / improper design and manufacturing. In both cases, the customer ends up paying money for something that shouldn't be broken, in the first place.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A bike and brand is only as good as your experience, not anyone else's. If BMW (or any brand) has let you down, you should move on. It is sad that a "premium" brand has all the issues you have had. I'd feel the same way too. I was leary of BMW but it was the only bike that I thought met my ideal bike coming from an ST1300... wanted a an upgrade from that and Honda didn't have what I wanted anymore. My fingers are still crossed as premium = expensive to fix and BMW does not stand for quality on auto's, lux/performance but not quality.

There are so many brands and bikes, try something different but keep riding.

CJ

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Keep in mind part of the issue is when someone takes a specific event or series of events to make the case every other unit is just like your own. This is my second GT and had 99,000+ on last one and 12 so far on newer one.

If I were to say all K16 models' have been perfected and runs like a bat out of he** due to my specific and limited experience that would not be accurate if applied to every other unit. Invoking quote marks over and over is pure frustration with your specific bike and empathize with you but logging on to lecture us on how we must be posers or koolaid drinkers while many of us have had great experiences with our K16 will obviously get responses.

i have owned many bikes over the years and encountered the most problems with two Hondas. I would never jump on a Honda model specific forum and start throwing out Rising Sun references or other attempts at mocking the country of origin. Instead I went over some of my experiences with the bikes while knowing I was in the minority when it came to the issues I was having.

Sorry to hear of the issues you have and are having with your bike. Best of luck on your next purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
In 26000 kms (current mileage on my bike) I've experienced 3 satnav replacements, 1 gearbox replacement, and currently a hard to diagnose / fix gearshift pro failure.
(Shrug) The SatNav is made by Garmin - not sure how blame can be laid on BMW for that. Is the gearbox replacement the recall? If it hadn't been for Covid-19, I would have had mine done months ago and with very little fuss on my part. Have ridden mine all along with no issues. Taking mine in on Saturday and am told that it will be ready the next business day (Tuesday).

Your money and your decision of course. (Closing shrug)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(Shrug) The SatNav is made by Garmin - not sure how blame can be laid on BMW for that. Is the gearbox replacement the recall? If it hadn't been for Covid-19, I would have had mine done months ago and with very little fuss on my part. Have ridden mine all along with no issues. Taking mine in on Saturday and am told that it will be ready the next business day (Tuesday).

Your money and your decision of course. (Closing shrug)
The recall was about replacing a few specific parts. When they took the gearbox apart they discovered premature wear on multiple parts (20000 kms) and they decided a whole new gearbox was needed. Which they didn't have in stock. Long story short - I was left without a bike for almost 5 months, and I had to pay to have it shipped back to my country. Less than 3 months after that I am again without a bike - as the dealer needs it for "up to 1 week" to be able to tear it apart and investigate the gearshift pro failure (after 1 more trip to the dealer for diagnosis, which resulted in a new sensor being order, fitted on the 2nd trip to the dealer, just to discover that was not the problem).
About the Satnav being made by Garmin - it says BMW on it and I paid BMW money for it, not Garmin. Supplier selection and component testing is another BMW problem in this case.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
I feel for ya. There seem to be a percentage of owners with similar experiences. My experience has not been that way. This is my first BMW. I worry sometimes, like when I read threads like this, that at any given moment my good experience could turn sour. I’m just going to enjoy what I have and cross the bridges and expenses if/when they come. It’s sad this bike has been the straw that broke your brand loyalty back after all these miles and years. I hope a model does come along that gives you that obsessive desire to own it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The recall was about replacing a few specific parts. When they took the gearbox apart they discovered premature wear on multiple parts (20000 kms) and they decided a whole new gearbox was needed. Which they didn't have in stock. Long story short - I was left without a bike for almost 5 months, and I had to pay to have it shipped back to my country. Less than 3 months after that I am again without a bike - as the dealer needs it for "up to 1 week" to be able to tear it apart and investigate the gearshift pro failure (after 1 more trip to the dealer for diagnosis, which resulted in a new sensor being order, fitted on the 2nd trip to the dealer, just to discover that was not the problem).
About the Satnav being made by Garmin - it says BMW on it and I paid BMW money for it, not Garmin. Supplier selection and component testing is another BMW problem in this case.
I do feel your frustration as in your previous post you mentioned this was your method of transportation
I have to add that in my opinion you are not being entirely fair
I would assume most people would be happy that when they found premature wear on the gearbox the decision was made to replace it under warranty
I agree it would be very frustrating not to have your bike for 5 months
Some dealerships may have lent you a loaner (this of course would depend on your relationship with them and from what I have read is not good)
As far as shipping your bike "back to" your country, you had moved from one country to another and this should be your cost
As far as the sensor failure goes, this is

·
Registered
127 Posts
I do feel your frustration as in your previous post you mentioned this was your method of transportation
I would assume most people would be happy that when they found premature wear on the gearbox the decision was made to replace it under warranty
Some dealerships may have lent you a loaner (this of course would depend on your relationship with them and from what I have read is not good)
As far as shipping your bike "back to" your country, you had moved from one country to another and this should be your cost
As far as the sensor failure goes, how they handled it is pretty standard for any dealership
I hope you have better luck with your next bike

·
Registered
647 Posts
@nazdravanul I understand your pain. I just went through a complete engine replacement, followed by a failed starter clutch after just a few hundred miles. I thought about dumping the bike more than once while the bike was in the shop several months. But I'm not there yet. The K16 is too intoxicating to switch out for an RT or a Japanese pretender. In terms of purpose, the K16 does the essential things better than any other bike made.

Given your personal experience, it's understandable that you're throwing in the towel. Good luck moving forward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lean towards empathizing with Nazdravanul, but would like confirmation that the 3 defects mentioned in the original post are issues that require one to stop riding the bike while parts are ordered and available for install. In my case, a malfunctioning satnav would not stop me from riding, I would just use my phone for GPS. I've read that others continue to ride while their gearbox parts are on order. Regarding gear shift pro, can't one continue to ride using normal clutch until the parts arrive? I appreciate any education on these issues from forum members. I've owned 2 ST1300s over the last 13 years and still retain the 2nd, just in case I have issues with my newly acquired K bike, which hasn't yet had an issue during the year I"ve owned it (a one-owner '16 GTL with 1200 miles).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I lean towards empathizing with Nazdravanul, but would like confirmation that the 3 defects mentioned in the original post are issues that require one to stop riding the bike while parts are ordered and available for install. In my case, a malfunctioning satnav would not stop me from riding, I would just use my phone for GPS. I've read that others continue to ride while their gearbox parts are on order. Regarding gear shift pro, can't one continue to ride using normal clutch until the parts arrive? I appreciate any education on these issues from forum members. I've owned 2 ST1300s over the last 13 years and still retain the 2nd, just in case I have issues with my newly acquired K bike, which hasn't yet had an issue during the year I"ve owned it (a one-owner '16 GTL with 1200 miles).
Every situation will probably be different. My personal experience is that if the dealer tears down the engine or the transmission under warranty, and finds a replacement is necessary, BMW will not pay for reassembly while parts are on order. So you wait....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
As far as the sensor failure goes, this is
So, you are saying I am not entirely fair: 3 satnav replacements, 1 gearbox change, 1 yet to be understood and fixed gearshift pro problem (with 1 failed repair already), being left without a bike for 5 months, and then less than 3 months after, being left again without a bike "until we figure this out" is ...is me not being fair. A top of the range BMW with 26000 kms on the clock ... I am not being fair. Here we go again ... Feel free to defend the Fatherland and the Mothership, they have paid serious marketing money for that Kool Aid you've been given. And they took it from our bikes, from the rigorous R&D, testing and QA budget, from proper supply chain management budget and whatever else they could squeeze it from.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Satnav replacement doesn't require being left without the bike, just several trips back and forth to the dealer, and not being able to use a critical, expensive component that you've paid for (I was in a foreign country)
Regarding the other 2 problems (gearbox and geashift pro): I am currently for the second time in less than a few months, without a bike. Again, "until we figure this out". Different country, different dealer, same BMW bike, same story.
I never chose to leave my bike in the shops for that long, every time the dealers took it apart, and then notified me that I need to leave my bike with them for a lot longer than initially planned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So, you are saying I am not entirely fair: 3 satnav replacements, 1 gearbox change, 1 yet to be understood and fixed gearshift pro problem (with 1 failed repair already), being left without a bike for 5 months, and then less than 3 months after, being left again without a bike "until we figure this out" is ...is me not being fair. A top of the range BMW with 26000 kms on the clock ... I am not being fair. Here we go again ... Feel free to defend the Fatherland and the Mothership, they have paid serious marketing money for that Kool Aid you've been given. And they took it from our bikes, from the rigorous R&D, testing and QA budget, from proper supply chain management budget and whatever else they could squeeze it from.
Good luck with your new bike

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
It seems to me BMW builds a new bike line and it takes a few years to get the bugs out. Then they screw the line up by switching venders that make the parts to save money.. The first 1600's 2011 -2014 had a few problems and then by 2015-2017 they were good. 2017 on they slowly changed things and here we are. I sure it's going to turn around.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts