BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW of North America has issued a recall on certain 2019 and 2020 models for a brake light issue.

According to the defect report, certain vehicles were produced for the US market with an emergency stop signal function which causes the brake lamp to flash during emergency braking, instead of remaining steady. While allowed in certain markets, brake lamps in the US must remain “steady burning” in accordance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). BMW has identified the specific models where this emergency stop signal programming, which would remove this function, was not included in the build configuration.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Interesting. Does this make the initial flash for attention prior to steady on non-conforming? Or as long as it is solid after flash it complies?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Interesting. Does this make the initial flash for attention prior to steady on non-conforming? Or as long as it is solid after flash it complies?
Steady burning only. No automatic flashing of any kind allowed. In group rides, I've had to follow bikes that have those retarded initial flashing brake lights and they are f*cking annoying as ****. Again, goes back to the as-long-as-I-am-safer-f*ck-you-all mentality I mentioned in the other thread "Why all the EXTRA lights?", just because your local LEOs haven't bother you doesn't mean you are in the clear and good to go.

Per CFR 571.108 49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

And per Texas Transportation Code Title 7: TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

You can peruse through the rest of Title 7, and no, flashing brake lights are not specifically authorized for ordinary motorist in Texas Transportation Code. Nor is it legal per CFR sited above.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It was introduced into Europe on a defined pattern, heavy braking (from a set speed), and a defined flash rate (I think 5Hz) for a defined period of time, so the bike is required to sense emergency braking. You "never" see it working though.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
@Volfy, my Brother, TX is one state.

I have the 4-pulse flashing happening when I brake hard from speed; but only then. Solid brake lights are often not seen and bikes get rear-ended. Four pulses that capture the attention of the car behind me, approaching quickly, and who does not see me because of the truck immediately in front of me, is not a big ask.

If the law disagrees with that logic, the law is wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,381 Posts
@djfalkenstein , in '08 starting with a Rolling Thunder 200mm wide tire frame I built a custom bagger. I installed LED brake and turn lights. Once I got the bike registered/licensed I took it to the local HD for the state inspection. It failed inspection because LED lights were illegal... Same thing here with flashing brake lights..

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
It failed simply because the emitter was a solid-state device versus an incandescent bulb? I get the flashing part; but mine rig does not flash unless I brake hard from speed. Sitting still, the brake light operates as expected.

Keep in mind that 25 years ago the third brake light on a car was also prohibited; then Congress changed their minds. A similar thing was true with seatbelts 60 years ago. The quick-flash function used in the limited scenario I have described (from a hard-brake) is a good thing regardless of the slowness of Lawmakers. I want to be noticed in what is ostensibly the most dangerous place to be on a motorcycle - standing still on a road at a light with a wall of metal (truck) in front of me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would suspect the GS911 will be able to enable or disable in the future, regardless of continent. As for testing they are G related so a stat test at a dealership shouldn't reveal it is enabled

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Steady burning only. No automatic flashing of any kind allowed. In group rides, I've had to follow bikes that have those retarded initial flashing brake lights and they are f*cking annoying as ****. Again, goes back to the as-long-as-I-am-safer-f*ck-you-all mentality I mentioned in the other thread "Why all the EXTRA lights?", just because your local LEOs haven't bother you doesn't mean you are in the clear and good to go.

Per CFR 571.108 49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

View attachment 140630

And per Texas Transportation Code Title 7: TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

You can peruse through the rest of Title 7, and no, flashing brake lights are not specifically authorized for ordinary motorist in Texas Transportation Code. Nor is it legal per CFR sited above.
Settle down Francis...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
It failed simply because the emitter was a solid-state device versus an incandescent bulb? I get the flashing part; but mine rig does not flash unless I brake hard from speed. Sitting still, the brake light operates as expected.

Keep in mind that 25 years ago the third brake light on a car was also prohibited; then Congress changed their minds. A similar thing was true with seatbelts 60 years ago. The quick-flash function used in the limited scenario I have described (from a hard-brake) is a good thing regardless of the slowness of Lawmakers. I want to be noticed in what is ostensibly the most dangerous place to be on a motorcycle - standing still on a road at a light with a wall of metal (truck) in front of me.
GM started putting the high mount third light in all their vehicles for the 1986 model year so you're only 10 years off.

·
Registered
661 Posts
@Volfy, my Brother, TX is one state.

I have the 4-pulse flashing happening when I brake hard from speed; but only then. Solid brake lights are often not seen and bikes get rear-ended. Four pulses that capture the attention of the car behind me, approaching quickly, and who does not see me because of the truck immediately in front of me, is not a big ask.

If the law disagrees with that logic, the law is wrong.
Yes, the Law is wrong, so we are gonna ignore it and do what we want.

... so say millions of illegal immogrants entering this country every year.

·
Registered
661 Posts
BTW, feel free to find the statue in your state that specifically allows it. I'm sure you did do your due diligence before commencing with the mods, yes?

·
Registered
661 Posts
The 3rd brake light worked well in grabbing motorists' attention when only a few vehicles had them. Now that EVERY car has them, their effectiveness is greatly reduced.

If we end up with a sea of blinking brake lights... well, I'm sure you know what would happen. Besides epileptic seizure rate going through the roof. ;)

It only works now because of the exclusivity that comes from illegality.

yeah... how about loud pipes saves lives? ALL motorcycles should be equipped with drag pipes, I say.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Our traffic laws are are generally included in an interstate compact like extradition laws. In the states they are pretty uniform. How do you think a traffic ticket you get in another state end up on your driving record in your own?
Insurance companies have good lobbyists.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
GM started putting the high mount third light in all their vehicles for the 1986 model year so you're only 10 years off.
I remember them appearing sometime during my high school years of 78-82...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts