BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thats an overloaded motorcycle...good luck in your travels.

Joe

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Joe.

The trip took place July 2017. I packed the bike with the heaviest supplies starting from the lower end.
I traveled 14,482 miles in 68 days (includes days staying with friends along the way) without a hitch.
West Virginia>Glacier Park, MT>Arctic Circle Sign>West Coast Canada>San Francisco>Gunnison Colorado>Tempe, AZ.Tail of the Dragon/Cherohala in TN & NC.back to WV.
It was an awesome trip. I recommend seeing Alaska now before they totally screw it up.
Peace,
Fernando

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanx Joe.
It was an awesome trip. I recommend seeing Alaska now before they totally screw it up.
Peace,
Fernando

I have been to Alaska back in 1995. I have plans to return next year RT from Minneapolis.
Approx 8,000 miles or so...give or take depending on my return route. I thought about a GS for the trip but your GTL gives me inspiration.

Joe

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone attempted to talk me out of riding my K1600gtl. It performed awesomely over every type of road.
I met a rider from Fairbanks that followed me into a rest stop to tell me that mine was only the third K1600 he had ever seen up that way!
Peace,
Fernando

·
Registered
298 Posts
Epic Fernando

I wish you well on your future endeavours - it's way beyond my meagre attempts at touring doing only a three and a half thousand miles over a couple of weeks round Europe half a dozen times. A 14k bike trip is just pie in the Sky for me.

James

·
Bubonic
995 Posts
This is inspiring and makes me yearn for June when I finally get to put my B16 through the crucible of traveling. Thank you for this sir.

·
Registered
323 Posts
so many questions

Fernando, what does that cylinder below the license plate hold? How is it mounted/secured? So, is the artic circle as far north as you went? Did that include Prudhoe Bay?

I'm really intrigued. I always figured I'd need to take a dual sport that way. Now you got me thinking. :bow:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m curious too. I want to do Deadhorse, but a little afraid to do it on my GT. I was thinking of a KLR or GS800. The GT might be a handful on that 400 mile stretch of dirt highway.
But your trip has me thinking!!!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I would like to know if the red gas can was eventually used, or were you able to gauge the distances between towns with the GTL's nice sized tank?

·
Steve's Brother
6,242 Posts
I would like to know if the red gas can was eventually used, or were you able to gauge the distances between towns with the GTL's nice sized tank?
I see Spiritrider51 hasn't responded so I thought I would jump in on this question. In 2011 I rode a Honda ST1300, brother Steve on a BMW K1200GT and my son on a Suzuki 1000 Vstrom. We didn't take gas cans and never felt like we needed it. Vstrom had the shortest distance of about 200 miles to travel before needing gas so the other 2 bikes definitely were safe. It's always stated "get gas every time you see a gas station" well that's not true unless you are way out in the boonies. The only time it might be iffy is riding to Prudhoe Bay. Leaving Fairbanks there is gas at the Yukon river which is about 150 miles. We gassed up there and road to the Arctic Circle and back to that station where we gassed up again and then back to Fairbanks. You aren't riding fast so the K1600 definitely has enough range for this ride.

The rest of the trip up and back gas was easily found. We did the trip between June 18-July18. Very early or late in the year "may" have other results. The only unpaved roads we rode on was the Dalton Hwy (Fairbanks to AC)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so many questions

Fernando, what does that cylinder below the license plate hold? How is it mounted/secured? So, is the artic circle as far north as you went? Did that include Prudhoe Bay?

I'm really intrigued. I always figured I'd need to take a dual sport that way. Now you got me thinking. ?
Hey, I apologize for the delay. Life happens.
The cylinder below the license plate is a tractor document holder (West Virginia!). It normally holds a liter can of gas, for emergencies. Thankfully, I have used it a few times for somebody else. I used the lower skirt of the rear fender screws on a homemade bracket, a 1-1/2" wide piece of 1/4" aluminum.
Yes, the Arctic Circle sign was as far as I wanted to go. Dipping my feet in the Arctic Ocean was not my thing! LOL! In addition, the oil companies own everything up there, including having to bus to the shore on one of their buses. No Prudhoe Bay.
Peace.
so many questions

I'm really intrigued. I always figured I'd need to take a dual sport that way. Now you got me thinking. ?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not have to use the red gas can on Dalton, or anywhere else for that matter. I filled up just short of getting on the highway, and there's gas (most of the time) about half way to the sign.
The GTL was amazing. Some of the construction sites were pretty hairy. Oil, gravel, mud, dust, you name it. Did not lose it.
Peace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see Spiritrider51 hasn't responded so I thought I would jump in on this question. In 2011 I rode a Honda ST1300, brother Steve on a BMW K1200GT and my son on a Suzuki 1000 Vstrom. We didn't take gas cans and never felt like we needed it. Vstrom had the shortest distance of about 200 miles to travel before needing gas so the other 2 bikes definitely were safe. It's always stated "get gas every time you see a gas station" well that's not true unless you are way out in the boonies. The only time it might be iffy is riding to Prudhoe Bay. Leaving Fairbanks there is gas at the Yukon river which is about 150 miles. We gassed up there and road to the Arctic Circle and back to that station where we gassed up again and then back to Fairbanks. You aren't riding fast so the K1600 definitely has enough range for this ride.

The rest of the trip up and back gas was easily found. We did the trip between June 18-July18. Very early or late in the year "may" have other results. The only unpaved roads we rode on was the Dalton Hwy (Fairbanks to AC)
You were fortunate not to have hit rougher roads. I left WV, stopped in MT, then shot straight up to Fairbanks. I his a couple of hellacious storms, and construction sites so long, we had to follow a pilot car. Bikes are given the courtesy to ride up at the front of the line, which was nice. Gas stations and lodging, and restaurants are few and far in between up in the Yukon. I never ran out of gas.
I would carry gas anyway.
Peace,
Fernando

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You were fortunate not to have hit rougher roads. I left WV, stopped in MT, then shot straight up to Fairbanks. I his a couple of hellacious storms, and construction sites so long, we had to follow a pilot car. Bikes are given the courtesy to ride up at the front of the line, which was nice. Gas stations and lodging, and restaurants are few and far in between up in the Yukon. I never ran out of gas.
I would carry gas anyway.
Peace,
Fernando
Not sure if you know, Alaska has two seasons, winter and construction!

·
Steve's Brother
6,242 Posts
We were lucky I guess. We did ride on rough construction sections of roads but not so bad that we were concerned and even though the weather was cool (55 ish) and drizzly we didn't have any bad storms. I think the longest stretch of construction was from near Whitehorse to the Alaska border. The 3 of us spent many years riding off highway dirt bikes so I think that experience helped a lot when traversing those sections. When on those kinds of sections RAIN mode (on the K1600s) works perfectly to keep the bike going straight. We saw a variety of motorcycles going and coming like Kawasaki Ninjas, Harleys, Trikes and of course dual sports but all of them made it. I suggest that anyone that has ever thought they would like to go to Alaska should plan the time and go, riding whatever bike they have at the time. We planned 4 weeks but were back in the States at the end of 3. Once we crossed into Canada our days were probably no more than 400 miles. With the long hours of sun it's easy to keep riding. From my house in Arizona and back I rode 9,000 miles. My Honda wasn't as hard on tires as the K1600 so I made it on one set of tires as did the other 2 bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts