BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the transmission, software update recall on my k1600B and also had the engine oil/final drive oil change performed. I picked up the bike this morning from the dealership. The bike sounded different during delivery and tech mentioned said he did not hear anything unusual. However, while driving back home, the bike stalled after I pulled the clutch while slowing down for a turn. I thought I might have missed a gear or something so started the bike and moved on.

Later in the day, I took the bike out for an errand and was able to reproduce the stalling problem at will by downshifting to 2nd gear and pulling the clutch while slowing down.

I am then convinced that something is odd with the bike. Dealership won't open till Tuesday, so I got to wait before I take it in. I found a few forums/threads talking about rough idling is attributed to bad ignition coils.

Well keep that chance open, does anyone has suggestions on DIY for testing the ignition coils?

Also, does anyone know what are the chances of a technician messing up the fuel line or any other connection when performing the transmission recall?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,823 Posts
If you don’t have an “engine light” you don’t have a bad coil.

Duane

Reactions: AntonZ and themama

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don’t have an “engine light” you don’t have a bad coil.

Duane
Thank you for the response @Gunnert

I do not have an engine light. One more thing I observed is, if I just start the bike and do not touch the throttle, it stalls after 2-3 secs. Well, this only happened a couple of times. There is definitely something wrong after that service.

Any suggestions on what I can look for?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,823 Posts
I’d immediately take it to dealer. If you have a GS911wifi you could run a diagnostics but I doubt that would help.

Duane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
left there for couple of days. But the fuel in there is pretty old. Probably from last season. I filled the tank again this afternoon. Are you suspecting bad fuel?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Only did transmision or they also did starter motor?
For starter motor they dismantle more sensible components of engine fuel input.
Could be also that the clutch has air, wasnt well bleeded.
You will find videos of what they do for transmision recall, a bit a thriller jjjjjj.....
Enjoy & keep safe!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Only did transmision or they also did starter motor?
For starter motor they dismantle more sensible components of engine fuel input.
Could be also that the clutch has air, wasnt well bleeded.
You will find videos of what they do for transmision recall, a bit a thriller jjjjjj.....
Enjoy & keep safe!
They performed transmission recall only as Per documentation. I am not sure if starter motor had to be touched for that.
I did not know that clutch could breathe air into it. If so what is the procedure to fix it ?
As dealership won't open till Tuesday, I am just trying to troubleshoot few things myself.

·
Techmeister
K1600GA
2,374 Posts
To eliminate one possibility, I would completely drain the fuel and replace it with fresh high-octane fuel. Then test again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To eliminate one possibility, I would completely drain the fuel and replace it with fresh high-octane fuel. Then test again.
yep ..Thank you.. I was going to try that today. Is there a better way than siphoning out from the tank?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is far from the first thread about various problems post-tranny recall. As a result I was dreading my turn. Well, I’m happy to report that when I picked up the B two days ago, after tranny and software recalls, it ran as good as, or perhaps better, than ever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Quick Update: Still not fixed
1. Siphoned gas from the tank.
2. Filled tank with fresh gas. Took 6.4 gal.
3. Rode about 30 miles.

Observation: No Issue when revved up. Vehicle still struggles/hesitates to stay running when under 1k rpm.

Also I have noticed that I hear noise as if vacuum is releasing when opening gas cap. Can some please confirm if they hear any swish noise when opening gas cap?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is far from the first thread about various problems post-tranny recall. As a result I was dreading my turn. Well, I’m happy to report that when I picked up the B two days ago, after tranny and software recalls, it ran as good as, or perhaps better, than ever.
I am glad your bike is running well. That is good news. I hope mine is something minor too... Fingers crossed till Tuesday.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,823 Posts
@themama , my best advice to you is to do nothing. Take your bike to your dealer. If I've read one I've read a million recommendations to blame bad fuel for a motor running bad. Fuel can and does go bad. But what are the odds the fuel went bad while having your transmission recall done?

Duane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@themama , my best advice to you is to do nothing. Take your bike to your dealer.

Duane
yep. Thank you..I have nothing else to try .. I am sure dealer would have pointed old gas in the bike. So thought I would get that sorted before I go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
“Also I have noticed that I hear noise as if vacuum is releasing when opening gas cap. Can some please confirm if they hear any swish noise when opening gas cap?”

That sound can mean that a fuel vent line is pinched off, which can easily happen when removing and replacing the tupperware. That could explain your symptoms. Hope it’s that simple.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also I have noticed that I hear noise as if vacuum is releasing when opening gas cap. Can some please confirm if they hear any swish noise when opening gas cap?
How does the bike run after you relieve the pressure from the tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update: Did a trip to dealership, long story short, the visit to dealership was waste of time.
The bike does idle bad and it definitely has some issue with throttle response in lower RPMs. Dealer says he can't really help as bike is starting and running and tried to sell few services based on guesswork.
I want to get hands dirty, and want to open up and check the throttle body myself to make sure everything is clean and there are no kinks to fuel line

Few questions for experts: (I did ]try to search in forum and internet, didn't quite get clarity on few pieces of information)
1- the rubber pin like on the side panel (behind the winglet)-- How do we remove it ?
2 - If we are to test the Fuel pump, what is the process? I have motoscan app, but do not have GS911. Is it only possible with GS911?

Is there any mechanic in DMV area that anyone can recommend?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts