BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
When you went back did your dealer even bother to hook up their diagnostics tool to your bike to check for fault codes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When you went back did your dealer even bother to hook up their diagnostics tool to your bike to check for fault codes?
no. he did not. it was around 4pm ish that I was there.. He was trying to sell some services and quoted that he will have to charge about 200 for a diagnostic check... Either-ways.. he seemed least interested to fix the issue, as per him, the bike is starting and running.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
This is far from the first thread about various problems post-tranny recall. As a result I was dreading my turn. Well, I’m happy to report that when I picked up the B two days ago, after tranny and software recalls, it ran as good as, or perhaps better, than ever.
I was also hesitant but last week I had it done, seems OK, I thought it sounded a bit different but as I asked for oil change etc. I figured it was that.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Idles bad and dies and not fuel, it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere.
Any chance you can take it to another dealer or just write to BMW - those things are just not what you expect from BMW and they listen to legitimate complaints.

Reactions: themama

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
Give George at Gridlock Motors in Warrenton, VA a call.

Duane

Reactions: themama

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was also hesitant but last week I had it done, seems OK, I thought it sounded a bit different but as I asked for oil change etc. I figured it was that.
I did oil change along with the recall. On hindsight I should have staggered those services..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you look at this video minute 1:45, you can see that throttle body is dismantled.
Any intake leak or tube badly connected can give you unstable idle and maybe wont show up error code. Bad gasket, tubes not well connected, etc....
If throttle body or accelarator was faulty it would show error and bike would go into limp mode.
As Duane said, a dealer should address and repair.
Good luck!
Enjoy & keep safe!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you look at this video minute 1:45, you can see that throttle body is dismantled.
Any intake leak or tube badly connected can give you unstable idle and maybe wont show up error code. Bad gasket, tubes not well connected, etc....
If throttle body or accelarator was faulty it would show error and bike would go into limp mode.
As Duane said, a dealer should address and repair.
Good luck!
Enjoy & keep safe!
I tried to explain that to dealer, he thinks the fuel pump is bad and wants me to ignore the noise as bike is able to start. Bike did not have a problem before checking in for service and I made that part clear too.
Eitherways does anyone know how much the pressure from the fuel pump should be ? Motoscan reads about 4500 hpa.. that is around 65psi if we convert it. This is when bike is at idle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get Corporate involved. If it was fine when you dropped it off and had an issue after it was picked up, you should not pay for their incompetent workmanship.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you have a video of the bike idling unstable?
With this video you could escalate to BMW corporate to force them to get it solved.
And if you have or get another video with your bike or other idling well it would be more convincing.
Sure it will be something stupid not well assembled during the gearbox campaign.
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Do you have a video of the bike idling unstable?
With this video you could escalate to BMW corporate to force them to get it solved.
And if you have or get another video with your bike or other idling well it would be more convincing.
Sure it will be something stupid not well assembled during the gearbox campaign.
Good luck!
yes I do have the video of not idling properly and stalling. as this stalling is unfortunately very sporadic, I am not sure on how to escalate the problem.
More importantly the engine beat at idle is frustrating. The frustration measure is again purely a personal view and I am 110% not happy with it.

Btw.. I went to couple of independent shops and both of them tallied that fuel pump is producing proper pressure to the spec.

I just want to ride out the gas tank before checking in with dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the transmission, software update recall on my k1600B and also had the engine oil/final drive oil change performed. I picked up the bike this morning from the dealership. The bike sounded different during delivery and tech mentioned said he did not hear anything unusual. However, while driving back home, the bike stalled after I pulled the clutch while slowing down for a turn. I thought I might have missed a gear or something so started the bike and moved on.

Later in the day, I took the bike out for an errand and was able to reproduce the stalling problem at will by downshifting to 2nd gear and pulling the clutch while slowing down.

I am then convinced that something is odd with the bike. Dealership won't open till Tuesday, so I got to wait before I take it in. I found a few forums/threads talking about rough idling is attributed to bad ignition coils.

Well keep that chance open, does anyone has suggestions on DIY for testing the ignition coils?

Also, does anyone know what are the chances of a technician messing up the fuel line or any other connection when performing the transmission recall?
My bike did the same thing, it turned out to be a vacuum leak on the intake manifold. Apparently they must loosen or remove part of it to do the transmission service. They tried to give me the same run a round but I wasn't buying it and told them it wasn't that way when I brought it in and they needed to fix it. If they didn't and it stalled at the wrong time and caused an accident , well, the lawyers would be getting some business. After 2 days the tech found the problem and everything has been good after that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My bike did the same thing, it turned out to be a vacuum leak on the intake manifold. Apparently they must loosen or remove part of it to do the transmission service. They tried to give me the same run a round but I wasn't buying it and told them it wasn't that way when I brought it in and they needed to fix it. If they didn't and it stalled at the wrong time and caused an accident , well, the lawyers would be getting some business. After 2 days the tech found the problem and everything has been good after that.
Thank you. Thats a good insight..Will ride the bike for a week and if problem persists will inform the same thing to dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which BMW dealer in the DMV performed the transmission recall on your K1600? At MOD, every K1600 is test ridden 10-20 miles after the recall to ensure the bike runs smoothly. Reverse gear is checked as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Which BMW dealer in the DMV performed the transmission recall on your K1600? At MOD, every K1600 is test ridden 10-20 miles after the recall to ensure the bike runs smoothly. Reverse gear is checked as well.
I think the dealer was overbooked when the service was being performed. He did test ride and ignored the noise when I reported during the delivery, and asked me to give it sometime.
I also spoke to several mechanics to understand what is involved and everyone asked to wait for the tank to complete and if issue persists then inspect the vents.
Electronics/ electrical are all working to the spec.

·
Registered
624 Posts
He did test ride and ignored the noise when I reported during the delivery, and asked me to give it sometime.
I always ask the service manager to write: "Owner reported "..." on the bill/ receipt. Never been refused; occasionally has come into play later.

Tom

21 - 38 of 38 Posts