BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good bag but definitely not waterproof. The innerbag has the look of a river bag but it's porous. 4 hours today in rain/snow. Water soaked right through.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
What bag do you have?

The two large BMW soft bags I have are definitely water proof.
Yep. Mine too.
Rode over 300 miles last fall in pouring rain. Everything was completely dry.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Softbag 3. It's a great bag but that blue inner bag is not waterproof. I think the backdraft deposits water on top of the bag. It went through the outer and inner bags yesterday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I’ve had the same bag for a couple of years now, but never felt it was as waterproof/water resistant as BMW claimed. Bought a cheap rain cover off Amazon after I bought the bag, and no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
That bag is not the weatherproof bags I have. The ones I have have a solid vinyl exterior with a roll up top. They are like the Wolfman bag I also have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the small one and like it. BMW only says the main compartment is waterproof.
If someone can post a link for good fitting rain covers for this and the small one, it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I've had the same bag for years and it's leaked for years. Finally got a hard top case, but I kept the soft bag and only the Lord knows why...

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I have had the small soft AG for years and have ridden with it in every weather, including extended downpours during which extreme caution was necessary to ride. It has never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rain covers: see wolfmanluggage.com . Assorted sizes. You just need to figure out which of their bags is closest to yours.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Awesome thread I nearly missed, since I'm currently making my mind up about a rear seat bag myself, and was considering the bag initially discussed, but ONLY if the center section were totally waterproof. With the BMW softbag eliminated, though, I'm still torn between the ability to get large items in a single, big, roll-up, waterproof bag like this BMW Duffel Bag 3: BMW Duffel Bag 3 | Bob's BMW

...OR the versatility of a piggyback set of two, like these Dry-Spec: DrySpec D66 Modular Drybag System - RevZilla

Dry-Spec claims the big bag is 22" wide, and I never measured, but the BMW bag at the Rally last year looked to be about 4-6" wider.

However, TOTAL capacity is 66L for the Dry-Spec combo, versus 50L for the single BMW bag.

And I'm not averse to other choices. I really like @TarkusNY's YETI bags, and I'm sure they're incredibly well-made, I'm just not giving YETI any money for personal reasons. Still, that's a style and durability level I like.

Thoughts, opinions on options?

·
Vendor
586 Posts
Hi Gang,

Richard here from RKA,

Here is a link to our "What is water proof" page We have been in business for 35 years and have always said "water resistant" and feel there is no such thing as a "waterproof" textile product ... but as you will see on the "What is waterproof" we do our very best to try and make the products best as we can. We recommend a raincover which we have nade an option.

Currently our "Flagship" product is our 49ner Rackbag (Raincover included with this bag) for all the RT and GT and most any rack owners.
RKA Rack/Seatbag page

Some "Images here"

49ner

Movable dividers ...................................................................................... Organizer .. Vanity mirror

36 liter rackbag ..................................................................................... Expanded

33 liter seatbag ..................................................................................... Expanded AND or saddlebags liners .. These are in Optional premium colors

While Kathy and I are in "Shelter in place" we are running the business remotely, questions? shoot away or give us a call ... 707 836 7659
AND
We are playing with our new E-Bikes ;-)
Arrows showing accessories .... Gotta have those right?
Find the battery, Find the motor

Richard & Kathy
RKA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts