BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this and thought others might be interested. It's a brief history of the BMW logo and dispels the idea that it was designed to symbolize a spinning propeller or air screw but instead came from the Bavarian flag that has a checker board design of blue and white diamonds.

BMW logo evolution | Logo Design Love

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Interesting information. I also clicked the links for the logo history of Shell and Mercedes-Benz.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Very interesting...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ran across this and thought others might be interested. It's a brief history of the BMW logo and dispels the idea that it was designed to symbolize a spinning propeller or air screw but instead came from the Bavarian flag that has a checker board design of blue and white diamonds.

But 2020 has provided an update. Here's the time line and the new logo.It'll take me some time to appreciate it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not sure I buy the latest 'convenient' explanation of logo design's origins.

BMW & the old family shareholders are as keen as ever to distance the company from it's past involvement in military hardware production, shall we say closing the book on a very dark chapter of it's history. I understand the motivation, but it will never change the actuality.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts

When I picked up my M3 in Munich (european delivery on the personal program) I got the whole story about the origin of BMW and the logo (and their pride, etc). Once while I was being handed the keys, and once when I did some driving for the BMW club later in the week, although the second time was a much abbreviated version. Both times I got the story from BMW employees and it was all about the origins of BMW during the war (and the spinning prop). Pic from the then delivery room in Munich.

Not sure if they were embellishing then or now, not that I care as it was a long time ago in either case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts