BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Happy New Year.

Just bought the Navigator VI and I have a Macbook Pro M1 2020. I use the Apple's USB-C male - USB female (MJ1M2ZM/A) adapter and still can't link it to mass storage. It only charges it.
I tried to access the hidden menu and change to mass storage, but no luck again.
Does anyone have this problem?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Still not connecting...
The video that @djfalkenstein linked mentions something that I've run into. Waiting a minute or two after connecting the cable and turning on the Nav VI is an important step. For some reason the Nav VI takes longer to connect to USB than anything else I've ever used. It usually shows the normal startup screen, and then suddenly changes to the much darker "connected" screen.

I usually have to turn the Nav VI off and back on 2-3 times, waiting a minute each time before it connects. I've been messing with adding MP3 files to the SD card, so I've been doing a lot of power cycles for the last few days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The video that @djfalkenstein linked mentions something that I've run into. Waiting a minute or two after connecting the cable and turning on the Nav VI is an important step. For some reason the Nav VI takes longer to connect to USB than anything else I've ever used. It usually shows the normal startup screen, and then suddenly changes to the much darker "connected" screen.

I usually have to turn the Nav VI off and back on 2-3 times, waiting a minute each time before it connects. I've been messing with adding MP3 files to the SD card, so I've been doing a lot of power cycles for the last few days.
Are you using the Macbook Pro M1? I m trying all these suggestions and nothing happens. It just opens in home "where to" menu and charges via the cable, but doesnt enter connection mode..

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
Are you using the USB cable that came with the NAV VI via a USB-C adapter? I know some USB cables are not for transferring data...

Duane

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Getting a bit more desperate - verify the Garmin USB cable and the Apple dongle with other devices. Maybe plug a thumb drive into the dongle, and try the Garmin cable on a camera or phone or something.

My experience is that when everything is working right, it will take 2-3 tries at 2-3 minutes per try before the Nav VI recognizes my computer. I use an HP Spectre laptop and an iMac desktop with similar results from both.

Even this is way better than my handheld Garmin that I hike with. I think USB sketchiness is just a Garmin thing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Are you using the Macbook Pro M1? I m trying all these suggestions and nothing happens. It just opens in home "where to" menu and charges via the cable, but doesnt enter connection mode..
It's APPLE - "M1 is here. Our first chip designed specifically for Mac, it delivers incredible performance, custom technologies, and revolutionary power efficiency."

The new M1 is no longer an Intel machine; and the problem is most drivers, even the old one's that worked on Apple have to be rewritten and licensed to work on ARM based machines.

Basecamp development has been virtually discontinued - there is little likelihood that anyone will write drivers for a discontinued product. No surprise that there is a problem with the M1, Microsorft isn't even licensing Boot Camp drivers for Apple ARM yet. The only way to run Windows so far is through a Virtual partition rather than a dual boot "Boot Camp" partition...:unsure:

Unless anyone has a better bad idea...:whistle:

Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting a bit more desperate - verify the Garmin USB cable and the Apple dongle with other devices. Maybe plug a thumb drive into the dongle, and try the Garmin cable on a camera or phone or something.

My experience is that when everything is working right, it will take 2-3 tries at 2-3 minutes per try before the Nav VI recognizes my computer. I use an HP Spectre laptop and an iMac desktop with similar results from both.

Even this is way better than my handheld Garmin that I hike with. I think USB sketchiness is just a Garmin thing.
I m sure I 've double checked and already tried more than 10 times and with few minutes intervals in case it wants to connect its wayo_O, but I think the problem is with the M1 chip and the dongle.
One friend suggested a usb 2.0 hub and then connect to the provided usb cable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basecamp has been discontinued - there is little likelihood that anyone will write drivers for a discontinued product. No surprise that there is a problem with the M1, Microsorft isn't even licensing Boot Camp drivers for Apple ARM yet. The only way to run Windows so far is through a Virtual partition rather than a dual boot "Boot Camp" partition...:unsure:

Unless anyone has a better bad idea...:whistle:

Tom
When I was checking this macbook, everything I m using on daily basis is so well supported, but I guess compatibility and connectivity issues will never resolve.
I dont think i want to go to so much trouble in using a virtual partition.

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you also have an external keyboard (especially a wireless one) I've had trouble on my Mac connecting my Sena. to get my Sena to sync, I have to unplug wireless keyboard and use mouse only.

I would also recommend that you power on the Nav6, connect it up to the dongle then plug dongle in to MacBook.

and, while I assume you've already done this: update your Mac to latest software release. if you have another dongle (non-apple or apple), may be worth a shot as well.

I'd wager it's cable issue either in the Garmin USB cable or dongle.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd wager it's cable issue either in the Garmin USB cable or dongle.
I’ll take that wager, how much? It’s the M1 Mac.

The M1 is a complete game changer for the “Mac”. Apple has gone to ARM processors - which are used in their iPads and is an entirely different architecture. :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
OK, So...I just received a personal M1 MacBook Pro from work. I haven't installed much on it. But also recently received a refurbished Nav VI from Garmin due to mine going wonky on my trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago. I've got a bunch of USB cables hanging about and the first two I tried behaved exactly the same as what you are seeing. I downloaded both Basecamp and Express. With the first two cables, I could see the GPS had power, but it wasn't putting it into the disk mode. The third cable I tried, bingo! The Nav VI unit came up with the connected screen and Express told me it had located a new device and asked if I wanted to connect to it.

I suspect it's your cable at this point because I can verify that it will connect properly.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Garmin is still maintaining BaseCamp, and correcting any issues that cause problems. It has not been abandoned, and won’t be for some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cable. I have a NAV V for my R120RT and it is very picky on the cable that is used. Out of 5 cables I tried only one will connect properly to the NAV V. NAV VI is probably the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts