BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer was pretty adamant having BMW Protective Film installed on my GTL. I was reluctant to spend the extra $ so he installed without charge. Now I’m glad it’s there. Between my wife and we have scuffed the top of the side cases several times. We’re now getting somewhat used to the size and location of the cases but not ready to remove the protective film. My question – is there a way to buff out scuffs on the protective film? The scuffs do not appear to be deep or go all the way through the protective film.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try as a person may, inevitably you will scuff the side cases and sometimes the trunk, trying to do the Karate kick thing to get on or off the bike. When I get off the bike, I usually grab the bottom of the jeans on my right leg and cautiously lift it up to clear everything.

I've seen many brand new bikes on the showroom floor already scratched by customers sitting on the bikes---I've done it myself!

Sam:)

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I usually step on a footpeg to give myself some extra room when slinging a leg over and my wife gets on the same way, onto the driver seat and then moves back - no scuffs yet. :gm

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
It cost $ 209.00 to have the BMW kit installed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a local dealer do a complete 3M protective film application for my bike. It covers the side boxes top and sides, tank. side pieces below seat, front of fender and the headlight lens. He said he would replace any piece free because he can make them from scrap pieces left over from car jobs. He had the complete kit on his computer and can make any piece easily from his software-cutting machine.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe the last time I read a BMW manual they do not recommend this; not sure if they specifically comment, but common (really should be called rare sense) sense might say that if you are 'big' don't do this. But, most people I know hop on their BMW's kind of like a horse/stirrup maneuver. Step on footpeg with left foot, throw right leg over bike (keep leg high). Perform in reverse for dismounting?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m still looking for tips on removing scuff marks from the protective film. Scuffs do not appear to have gone through to the paint.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m still looking for tips on removing scuff marks from the protective film. Scuffs do not appear to have gone through to the paint.
At the risk of being obvious, the protective film is indeed a two-edged sword. Once scuffed, scarred, or starts becoming cloudy, seems that nothing can be done. Here you wanted to protect your finish, and you did, and now you have an ugly protective coating. Talk about vicious cycles (pun intended), been there and done that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts