BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help.

I’m using a Sena 10C with the AC10 splitter and Etymotic HF5 earbuds.
My iPhone 6 Plus is on a Ram mount in the center between the bars and my default Nav is Waze (Waaaazeeeee).
So my normal mode of ops is to listen to music off the iPhone bluetoothed up to the Sena 10C with the camera in Video tagging mode in case I witness something Krazo.

With this set up I get:
1) 30db passive ear protection
2) really good sound quality music
3) good nav capability with tactical AI intervention in case of “all lanes blocked”
4) video back up I can use in court
5) instant phone access to my wife and Emergency Responders.
6) phone access to work and friends
7) group ride comms (line of sight)

The iPhone get power off the BMW connector on the outside RH canoe. (Powerlet?)
The Sena get juice from usb battery pack LH chest pocket.
If the weather gets bad the iPhone goes in a pocket with another backup battery.
I can run all day like this as long as I have internet connectivity.

What I don’t have:
1) Good FM reception on Sena. Very directional crappy antenna that turns strong signals into weak signals.
2) No AM
3) No wx band
4) a desire to broadcast my music over speakers loud enough for me to hear but annoying to every unshielded human with 100 meters.

Goal: I would like integrate the Nav VI and BMW radio into this system and not lose the simplicity of what I’ve got when I’m out in the wilderness out of internet connectivity.

I understand that I can use a Motochello to hot wire the speaker output to a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter so I can get a signal to the Sena SM10 but I don’t know how this would work in concert with the iPhone.

Is this the best route?

I have yet to be able to connect the BMW Bluetooth to the Sena and I understand the sound quality is not very good.

Should I be able to connect two Bluetooth sources iPhone and BMW radio to the Sena 10C at the same time? Is there a better Bluetooth transmitter than the Sena SM10 that I should put in the RH canoe (or somewhere else...)

Does anybody have any wisdom on this matter?

Thanks in advance. :nerd:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi

I'm not familiar with the 10C, as to whether it has two channels so you can have to BT things connected at the same time. If so, connect the second channel to the BMW radio. It should be better than the Sena FM radio, and it should meet your objectives.

Introducing an SM10 is usually done if you want two people to listen to the same audio at the same time, or to introduce another audio source such as a radar detector into your audio stream, so if you ride by yourself, I don't see it's going to add anything extra.

Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sm10 seems problematic any how.

I've managed to get the Sena 10c to see and listen to the BMW radio. So now I've got the NAV VI talking to me through the Radio Bluetooth. I'm actually learning how to use the buttons on the LH canoe!! (Miracle i know)

I've connected the iPhone 6+ to the USB and the 1/8" jack in the RH canoe so now I can hear the iPhone and whatever else the iPhone is doing thought the headphone jack to the AUX input on the bike. But amazingly bike does not recognize the iPhone on the USB port (wtf?) so all the USB port is doing is supplying power. My wife's Subaru uses CarPlay to play nice with the cellphone and the and seamlessly connects to my cell phone either though Bluetooth or USB Lightning connector.

Is there software I need to put on the iPhone or a radio firmware update available to get the BMW Radio to play nice with my iPhone.

I can hear calls but the bike doesn't use my helmet speaker for talking and as such is still using the mic on the iPhone - not useful at any speed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe there's a "special" BMW connector for the iPhone to AUX/USB port so that the wonder wheel works. Apparently the connector for the Mini One is the same, but much cheaper than the one for the motorbike!

Even if you did have this connector, then I don't think you can use it for phone calls.

If you can't connect two BT devices to your 10C (BMW+iPhone), I think you're out of luck and there's no easy solution!

Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah the BMW connector is actually two connectors in one.

The 1/8" jack is AUX input selected by the SRC button
The USB jack is the USB input selected by the SRC button. But for some reason the USB port doesn't recognize my iPhone. Do I need special software on the iPhone to make this work?

Let me check the App Store....

·
Registered
259 Posts
But amazingly bike does not recognize the iPhone on the USB port (wtf?) so all the USB port is doing is supplying power....
maybe the usb port is only supplying power in your situation, but the bike's radio does recognize connected devices that have digital audio files and will play them as well as provide the information on the screen like a directory tree, which can be somewhat navigated thru w/ the wonder wheel. I have a thumb drive with music plugged into the usb port. I might try an older mp3 player with the internal hard drive just to see if it's recognizable, but I'm guessing it will be prone to skipping over road bumps.

Jeff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me Sainted Wife say "iPhones are Stupid" and shes right. MY PC doesn't see the iPhone as a hard drive without the iTunes software.

I'm trying a Google phone...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Crikey - my PC sees the Google phone but I cant transfer music files to it. The iPhone is stupid and I am an idiot. Whatado?

And now the Google Phone wants to gleen my PC! Abort abort abort....

Thumb drive you say. Actually not a bad idea.

·
Registered
259 Posts
...Thumb drive you say. Actually not a bad idea.
any solid state device/player should work. I have an older ipod that is s.s. that used the old 16/20 pin connector/usb cord. That should also work, as long as....

Newsflash: According to the owner's manual, an iphone can be used as an ipod, but you have to use both connectors in the canoe (this applies also for an ipod). YMMV, as this is for the 2012 model. apparently, when connected in this manner, the iphone's telephone functions are switched off and "corresponding information may be shown in the display of the iphone". not sure what the last part of the quote is saying.

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

According to the manual, media storage devices have to support the "mass storage format". Also, they have to be formatted in either Fat16 or Fat32. Lastly, it appears that the files have to be .mp3 files, so I assume it won't recognize .wav files.

Apparently, there's a device selection in one of the bike's menus for ipod. If anyone needs more info. about ipods being utilized, let me know and I'll scan and post the corresponding pages from the owner's manual.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK the memory stick works preddy gud. I wonder how it handles Folders?

Let me consult the Audio manual about the iPod...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Newsflash: According to the owner's manual, an iphone can be used as an ipod, but you have to use both connectors in the canoe (this applies also for an ipod). YMMV, as this is for the 2012 model. apparently, when connected in this manner, the iphone's telephone functions are switched off and "corresponding information may be shown in the display of the iphone". not sure what the last part of the quote is saying.

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

According to the manual, media storage devices have to support the "mass storage format". Also, they have to be formatted in either Fat16 or Fat32. Lastly, it appears that the files have to be .mp3 files, so I assume it won't recognize .wav files.

Apparently, there's a device selection in one of the bike's menus for ipod. If anyone needs more info. about ipods being utilized, let me know and I'll scan and post the corresponding pages from the owner's manual.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

And there it is on Page 38 of the 2016 manual.

So now my iPhone is an iPod who knew?

Ok how to get the MP3's on an iPhone.

Although I think I like the USB memory stick thing better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
And there it is on Page 38 of the 2016 manual.

So now my iPhone is an iPod who knew?

Ok how to get the MP3's on an iPhone.

Although I think I like the USB memory stick thing better.
BTW, your manual should mention that the stick can only have one partition.
They're saying this because the radio doesn't have the ability to recognize multiple partitions. I'm pretty sure the stick/device can have multiple partitions, but one will want to have all their music files in only one, and I'm thinking the radio will be able to find the partition w/ music files, so order of the partitions shouldn't matter. I might be wrong. Anyone, if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about re: multiple partitions, then you probably have only one, so no worries.

Also, there should be no need for a special adapter for the newer Iphones- try just plugging in the usb/charging cord for the phone to the usb harness, and of course, the phone needs an earphone jack. I don't know about the newer iphones, but some androids dropped the earphone jack.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look at the Earstudio ES100. It's a bluetooth receiver that plugs into the Aux, and is powered by the USB plug. I put mine in the right "glovebox", and bluetoothed my cell phone to it. I can switch to Aux to hear it, and if I want to hear the FM radio, I can listen to it thru the bike. It also has an equalizer function, and it can be played thru my helmet or the bike's speaker.

I paid $99 for it thru Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Jeff.

I wouldn't dream of having multiple partitions. But thanks for the heads up.

About as complicated as I might get with this is multiple folders in one partition.

I'm hoping that once the bike sees a folder it will play all the mp3 in it. I can hope right?

BTW - I found a link on the Apps page of the Garmin for some software called smartlink.. I updated a QR Scanner software and scanned the link and got some software but it doesn't seem to connect the iPhone vert smartly to the Garmin and seems to be link only to a three day trial to Garmin subscription services.. ARGH!

i still get "No USB". my nerd card is hereby revoked. :frown: Off to BestBuy...

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
You need that BMW interface cable between the iPhone and the bike harness. Without it no joy.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Help.

The iPhone get power off the BMW connector on the outside RH canoe. (Powerlet?)
The Sena get juice from usb battery pack LH chest pocket.
If the weather gets bad the iPhone goes in a pocket with another backup battery.
I can run all day like this as long as I have internet connectivity.

Does anybody have any wisdom on this matter?

Thanks in advance. :nerd:

I have a concern about anything that is hard or non-compliant in your LH chest pocket. If you have an unplanned dismount at speed the with the battery pack over your heart it could end up giving you a cardiac contusion or worse. I won't argue the chances of that happening but I would suggest that a simple relocation of that battery pack would help mitigate that from happening. I try not to keep anything on my person that doesn't pull off (wiring for my heated gear for instance) or break away easily (Sena stuff) when I ride. Things like my wallet, house/bike keys or anything that is hard go into the trunk. I know it's a pain in the butt (no wallet back there by the way) but I want every advantage I can get if the unthinkable happens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have a concern about anything that is hard or non-compliant in your LH chest pocket.

Noted. Thanks for your concern. 0:) I'm assuming surface mounted on the helmet would also cause you concern? Multiple wires to the bikes electrical system are a PITA. The Sena 10C in real life conditions will only run the camera for about an hour and a half. I ride all day and then some....if not there then where?

·
Registered
259 Posts
You mean in addition to the cable in the RH canoe? Link?
I'm not sure if you all are speaking of the adapter needed for the iphone or for simply a thumb drive. If it's the latter, than you're wrong. I have my thumb drive plugged directly into the usb port. If you're trying to use your iphone and get the radio to recognize it, then you might want to try the ipod settings/selections in the menus. I'd still like to hear if someone has simply tried connecting their iphone to the usb jack via the lightning cable, and connect the mini-jack/plug to the earphone jack with an auxiliary cord, and see if that won't work. If someone has already tried, then please chime in.

Re: folders, yes it will deal with folders. It's just one more level you have to drill through to see the files on the screen, but it'll play thru them just find- one one folder to the next.

I don't know if iphones utilize micro SD cards. If they or yours doesn't, then that might be why the radio is not recognizing it. I would think if there's an SD card in it, formatted in either FAT16 or FAT32, then the radio should find it. If anyone is not familiar w/ FAT16/FAT32, then for the sake of simplicity, it is a format used by Windows- maybe other O.S.es. the hard drives and other storage devices found on IOSes (apple products) use a different format. So this might be your issue. Again, try to get it to emulate an ipod, which the bike's radio supposedly can work with.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts