BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the article does not mention the K1600 as it did last year. I'd assume the recall slowed those sales. Looking forward they don't mention the K1600, just the new R1800. Without question, they will make sure 2020 is there 10th year of sales gains. They have a lotta room for growth in the USA, they need more dealers.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/393016/bmw-motorrad-motorcycle-sales-2019/

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
They have a lotta room for growth in the USA, they need more dealers.
BMW have done a great job with increasing their sales compared to other brands.

In particular, I believe BMW have done a great job of eating into the HD market with the K1600 B and GA. However I think the HD and USA market for large touring/cruiser motorcycles is still dwindling.

The USA is a tiny market for motorcycles compared to India and China. Motorcycle sales in the USA are still half what they were in 2006.

https://motorcyclesdata.com/2020/01/02/united-states-motorcycles-market/

Younger riders do not seem to be interested in large touring motorcycles. I don't think that adding dealers would increase BMW sales significantly.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Interesting that BMW is showing an uptick in sales in NA even with the stop sale on K1600, sales of which grew 25% last year. The numbers, because they are unit volumes, can be misleading as the increase in sales of 310 GS/R and scooters don't make up for the revenue loss of selling the big bikes (by pure volume). Still good to see BMW getting more traction. Anecdotally the 1800 will probably drive more 1600 sales. Customer feedback (comments here) says that its the motor, handling, and styling of the B machines that won folks over from HD. The 1800 concept is a showpiece for a small segment of the motorcycle world and it will drive attention to the brand which should drive attention to the k1600. The success of the 1800 however is not guaranteed. Its a polarizing product clearly aimed at a perception of the market target and not the reality of the market.

·
Registered
906 Posts
bmw plays fast and lose with the numbers. I heard from 'undisclosed sources' they have added the motorcycles sitting at the dealers to the 'sold' figures in order to inflate the numbers. Well, BMW sold the bikes to the dealers.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmw plays fast and lose with the numbers. I heard from 'undisclosed sources' they have added the motorcycles sitting at the dealers to the 'sold' figures in order to inflate the numbers. Well, BMW sold the bikes to the dealers.
That's not playing loose with anything. All manufactures count units sold to dealerships not final retail customers.

Manufacturers only sell to dealers.

Nothing unusual.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Most motorcycle manufacturers are going to reach their peak at some stage of the game. That's when they have to get inventive largely in an effort to keep investors happy but, as others point out, certain sectors of the bike market are changing. Sports bikes took a hit when, despite the excitement factor, their performance exceeded practical limits. Now we are seeing touring bikes in retreat as younger riders, fewer in number now, eschew the pleasure in favour of something more instantaneously gratifying.

Having plugged every gap/sector in the premium bike market BMW will need to adjust at some stage or watch sales wither slowly. The Adventure Bike market is unlikely to sustain them for ever. H-D have been there already.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Relates to the automotive side. From Car and Driver:
The practice of "sales punching," the paper said, if proved against BMW, would mean the automaker had its dealers record vehicle sales for cars and SUVs that were not actually sold but still sitting on dealership lots. A BMW spokesperson told the paper that the company plans to cooperate "fully" with the SEC's probe.

As was mentioned motorcycle manufacturers typically reports sales units, as sales to dealers. Frankly, I enjoy BMW ownership so I couldn't care less what they report .............. unless they start reporting "zero".

·
Registered
906 Posts
Relates to the automotive side. From Car and Driver:
The practice of "sales punching," the paper said, if proved against BMW, would mean the automaker had its dealers record vehicle sales for cars and SUVs that were not actually sold but still sitting on dealership lots. A BMW spokesperson told the paper that the company plans to cooperate "fully" with the SEC's probe.

As was mentioned motorcycle manufacturers typically reports sales units, as sales to dealers. Frankly, I enjoy BMW ownership so I couldn't care less what they report .............. unless they start reporting "zero".

so why is it ok for motorcycles and not cars?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worked in Automobile Dealer Advertising for close to 40 years. It was common practice for manufacturers to have big incentives for selling XX number of new XX models. Toyota as one example did it regularly. The dollars were high enough that some dealers would R/S "report sale" on a bunch of new vehicles, selling them to themselves, then selling them to consumers at a steep discount as used cars, still with 5 miles showing. It's legit, they are sold. The dealer would sell the cars near cost but pocket around $50,000 ( example only ) for hitting his target.

Really put the smaller dealers at a disadvantage. They had a hard time competing with the big volume dealers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Who cares? Are you losing sleep over this?
That was a bit harsh on the reply but honestly, the information pin-point accuracy doesn't seem to pose significant risk to our collective daily fulfillment as forum members, (unless you are an investment banker, high rank motorcycle industry exec, major industry supplier, dealer, etc, which most of us aren't). JMO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I seem to recall HD doing this a few yrs ago...reporting sales figures based on the number of bikes sent (sold) to dealers. Made their quarterly report look better than it actually was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts