BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't get it but then it probably is the upper income crowd buying harleys and dressing up like pirates anyhow so why not make a bike for the riders that don't want to dress up like a pirate.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Spy shot of new K1600 Bagger, enjoy. You will see this at your dealers in the not too distance future.

Reactions: Terry Foster

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, looks really bizarre. Would love to try it, though :)

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
If the Progressive International Motorcycle Show comes to your area...concept 101 will probably be at the BMW booth...its pretty darn cool...this pic is from the Portland, OR show today...

Rivets and all...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
At the end of the day it's a concept, it has some nice lines and design cues. I wouldn't want a bike with real wood anywhere on the motorcycle, if they do build it, some brush chrome and or carbon fiber would do nicely in place of the wood...with another exhaust tuned for more of a grumble the 6 cylinder is a great engine that I think will do a well in this setup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Change the wood thing and the end of the exhaust,......and I'm in. As I see it, most of the bagger crowd today are V-twins with noise. We need a so-called bagger bike with a seat height below 29 inches that handles great and has a real motor. This bike is headed in that direction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Concept 101

Change the wood thing and the end of the exhaust,......and I'm in. As I see it, most of the bagger crowd today are V-twins with noise. We need a so-called bagger bike with a seat height below 29 inches that handles great and has a real motor. This bike is headed in that direction.
You are right, but there is one out already that presaged the Concept 101 by 3 model years--the Honda F6B. It is not as flashy as the Concept, nor is it as potentially full of sporty agility. It is well powered by a healthy and reliable flat 6 boxer style engine that pulls like a tractor and keeps the weight down low, where it aids in the handling. I would trade my F6B as well as my K1600 if this Concept comes to market, although I love them both for different reasons. Personally, I am not put off by the addition of real wood and carbon fiber. It's like the surfing safari wagons of the 50's, only modernized. I can't wait!

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Have you seen that tall, skinny front tire?

That bike is not going to handle well . . .

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are right, but there is one out already that presaged the Concept 101 by 3 model years--the Honda F6B. It is not as flashy as the Concept, nor is it as potentially full of sporty agility. It is well powered by a healthy and reliable flat 6 boxer style engine that pulls like a tractor and keeps the weight down low, where it aids in the handling. I would trade my F6B as well as my K1600 if this Concept comes to market, although I love them both for different reasons. Personally, I am not put off by the addition of real wood and carbon fiber. It's like the surfing safari wagons of the 50's, only modernized. I can't wait!
I've ridden the F6B and have put 150,000 miles on 1800 Wings. I really liked the F6, really good power and handled extremely well. The inline 6 of the K1600 would make this bagger a stand out.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Don't need to ride one to know.

I've followed all the pics, I can see the riding position and chassis changes, and I've actually seen the bike in person and looked quite closely at all the details.

If you want a long, low slung cruiser with a big ol' motor, then this is that. And it probably will handle somewhat better than the other long, low cruisers or baggers or whatever you want to call them.

But there's no way it'll handle anywhere near as well as the current K16 chassis.

I give BMW credit for exploring new markets, and they may even find a few interested buyers.

But I sure won't be one of them . . .

Reactions: Maupen

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys are appropriately conservative when it comes to the handling for the Concept 101, just as any concept bike or car deserves before decision time concerning the build out and marketing. I am still looking forward to it the same way I did with the R9T, which did not disappoint me even though the handling is way off its sibling boxer twins in the last few years. The bike fulfills a completely different need and that works for me. Although I love the K1600 as a touring machine, when it comes time for a spirited ride in the wine country my bike of choice is always the K1300S, which of course is more sport bike than any of my other rides. I just hope the Concept becomes a reality.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Actually, I like the looks of the Honda F6B better. Only in profile. Plus it has a second seat. The proportions work better, the side bags look better, and the exhaust works better the the Concept 101. I'd still try for some sort of trunk on the F6B, if shorter then stock...sort of a little taller then the seat back support.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes the F6B is a good looker--even the HD guys look at it as I blow past them with the Cobra 6-2-6 pipes wailing. The saddlebags do hold a ton of stuff if you buy a set of internal organizers that approximate the strapping system in my GT bags, but I rarely have need of an extra bag over the tail, where a little aftermarket rack supplies ample tie down options. For a one-size-fits all bike the F6B is a terrific alternative if you want a power cruiser/bigger that can actually tour. Personally, I use mine for grocery shopping around town or zooming up to Napa to collect my monthly wine shipments. Grins and compliments everyday make it a real winner!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I do like the look of the F6B but why no cruise? It took more effort to leave it off than it would to just leave it in. Made it a non starter for me. Bet it sounds good with the Cobras!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
That makes sense. I haven't looked since I got this one.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
It's not?? For my money (equal to two cents) that wood makes it look too much like a '67 Country Squire.
The Concept is real wood, just done in the old Style of what I would liken to a antique Chris-Craft.

If it goes into production, I highly doubt the real wood trim would stay, probably not even fake wood.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I am a woodworker and this wood trim design doesn't excite me. The 1940 Pontiac Special Series 25 probably WOOD.:smile:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts