BMW K1600 Forum banner

BMW Reveals Concept 101 K1600 Bagger

37K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  ViennaK 
#1 ·

BMW, with the help of Roland Sands Designs, revealed the Concept 101, a bagger based on the six-cylinder K1600 platform. Debuting at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este at Italy’s Lake Como, the 101 is only a concept, but with spy photographers recently catching a glimpse of a prototype undergoing testing, we may see a production model shortly.

This isn’t the first time BMW and RSD have teamed up for a concept. In 2013, RSD helped put together the BMW Concept Ninety (incidentally, it was also revealed at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este) which was followed soon after by the RnineT production model. Unlike most concept models, the the RnineT differed quite a bit from the concept thanks to Roland Sands’ custom touch, and we expect the production bagger to look more like the K1600GT and K1600GTL.

052515-bmw-concept-101-k1600-bagger-P90184388_highRes

The BMW Concept 101 gets its name from the 1649cc engine’s displacement in cubic inches as well as Highway 101 which runs near BMW’s Designworks subsidiary in Newbury Park, Calif. The nods to a West Coast highway and the American use of cubic inches to measure engine displacement are more than incidental, as bagger style bikes are very much an American-influenced motorcycle segment.

“The Concept 101 opens up a new chapter in the history of our concept bikes,” says Edgar Heinrich, Head of BMW Motorrad Design. “It is the BMW Motorrad interpretation of endless highways and the dream of freedom and independence – the perfect embodiment of ‘American touring’. Designing this big touring bike study was amazingly exciting for us because we haven’t been involved with a motorcycle concept like this before. To me, the Concept 101 is the epitome of elegance, power and luxury on two wheels.”

The 101 offers a drop-shaped profile with a tall front-end that tapers towards the tail. The integrated luggage follows the same streamlined shape above the tailpipe which actually directs exhaust gasses out to either side instead of straight back.

052515-bmw-concept-101-k1600-bagger-P90184370_highRes

The bodywork uses a combination of brushed aluminum finish and carbon with wood-panel trim. The K16 engine remains in full display but with a black finish to contrast with the lighter bodywork. The headlight maintains the same look as on the K1600GT and K1600GTL but the taillights are integrated into the bags.

052515-bmw-concept-101-k1600-bagger-P90184384_highRes

We look forward to seeing the final production model bagger, likely to come this fall at EICMA, but we’re especially looking forward to the inevitable shootout between the new BMW and Honda‘s Gold Wing F6B.

Read More Here: BMW Reveals Concept 101 K1600 Bagger - Motorcycle.com News

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it!

#6 ·
The wood trim on the Concept isn't fake, just FYI.

#11 ·
I like the bike. If it handles and rides as good as the GT and GTL, same frame, it should be a lot of fun. I can't wait for the reviews. The fairing looks a little low so I wonder what kind of wind you'll get. The only thing I don't like are the pipes. They don't seem to fit the bike right.

#18 ·
dealer told me

I mentioned to my dealer(owner) this week about the "bagger" and he said he was told that the bike would look nothing like what is pictured when/if it is released. He did not like it and neither do I even with the K engine.

I think the project was a "dream" and in the dream, too many people drank from the HD wishing well and not the BMW reality pitcher.

Just my opinion on the last part.

#23 ·
Wow, looks really bizarre. Would love to try it, though :)

#25 ·
At the end of the day it's a concept, it has some nice lines and design cues. I wouldn't want a bike with real wood anywhere on the motorcycle, if they do build it, some brush chrome and or carbon fiber would do nicely in place of the wood...with another exhaust tuned for more of a grumble the 6 cylinder is a great engine that I think will do a well in this setup.

#26 ·
Change the wood thing and the end of the exhaust,......and I'm in. As I see it, most of the bagger crowd today are V-twins with noise. We need a so-called bagger bike with a seat height below 29 inches that handles great and has a real motor. This bike is headed in that direction.

#27 ·
Concept 101

You are right, but there is one out already that presaged the Concept 101 by 3 model years--the Honda F6B. It is not as flashy as the Concept, nor is it as potentially full of sporty agility. It is well powered by a healthy and reliable flat 6 boxer style engine that pulls like a tractor and keeps the weight down low, where it aids in the handling. I would trade my F6B as well as my K1600 if this Concept comes to market, although I love them both for different reasons. Personally, I am not put off by the addition of real wood and carbon fiber. It's like the surfing safari wagons of the 50's, only modernized. I can't wait!

#31 ·
Don't need to ride one to know.

I've followed all the pics, I can see the riding position and chassis changes, and I've actually seen the bike in person and looked quite closely at all the details.

If you want a long, low slung cruiser with a big ol' motor, then this is that. And it probably will handle somewhat better than the other long, low cruisers or baggers or whatever you want to call them.

But there's no way it'll handle anywhere near as well as the current K16 chassis.

I give BMW credit for exploring new markets, and they may even find a few interested buyers.

But I sure won't be one of them . . .

Reactions: Maupen
#32 ·
You guys are appropriately conservative when it comes to the handling for the Concept 101, just as any concept bike or car deserves before decision time concerning the build out and marketing. I am still looking forward to it the same way I did with the R9T, which did not disappoint me even though the handling is way off its sibling boxer twins in the last few years. The bike fulfills a completely different need and that works for me. Although I love the K1600 as a touring machine, when it comes time for a spirited ride in the wine country my bike of choice is always the K1300S, which of course is more sport bike than any of my other rides. I just hope the Concept becomes a reality.

#33 ·
Actually, I like the looks of the Honda F6B better. Only in profile. Plus it has a second seat. The proportions work better, the side bags look better, and the exhaust works better the the Concept 101. I'd still try for some sort of trunk on the F6B, if shorter then stock...sort of a little taller then the seat back support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.