BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
@JohnS1955 Language recognition has come on massively in recent years, we will be incorporating it into our software this year and we are just a small software company in Northern Ireland.

I am convinced that BMW Motorrad could have incorporated it into their development schedule, having said that they launched a product a year ago that was not fit for purpose and it took hem until August 2021 to get the basics of connectivity sorted.

As it sits today, I am due another update which is a 3 hour wait in a dealer for the TFT software which may or may not fix my single outstanding issue i.e. loss of voice directions if a phone call is made or received. The workaround for that is to stop and start the bike at the next turn.

The "Standard" setup on the TFT is to connect your phone to it, followed by your headset. Knowing the way you operate and should you ever upgrade you will probably need two devices one to handle navigation and the other to allow you to operate as you do. 👍

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
742 Posts
@JohnS1955
As it sits today, I am due another update which is a 3 hour wait in a dealer for the TFT software which may or may not fix my single outstanding issue i.e. loss of voice directions if a phone call is made or received.
I am still baffled that the TFT "infotainment" has to be updated at a dealer! Any other car infotainment can be updated at home. Even Harley's infotainment can be updated at home via a USB drive.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
After 2 K16s back on an RT
571 Posts
We can complain all we want but what BMW decided we needed is what we have to work with. I put my bike away for the winter before I could get the updates for the TFT (‘21 RT). I could not get the system to work reliably for me (dropped connection to bike or loss of voice instructions were the 2 main dissatisfiers). I am hoping that the updates will allow an acceptable level of reliability. Fortunately my big trips last year were with my daughter and I mounted my Nav 6 on her bike with the same routes and we had a routine when the TFT lost connectivity she would ride in front and use the Nav 6.
I bought a used iPhone X that I did not put a sim in and it is used as my ”TFT computer”. I loaded the BMW app, Google Maps and Spotify and everything I could delete was deleted from the phone to minimize interference with the BMW app. I don’t take or make phone calls when riding so that is not a functionality I need. I do like music but I could not get that to work in tandem with the Nav so I gave up on that and decided to wait for the update. Once I get the updates done in spring if I still cannot get the system to work reliably I will mount my Nav 6. I would prefer not to have to do that. I love the display but the implementation/roll out sucked.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I was happy with iTunes, it worked well with the iPod which I was sad to see go. The app was OK but bulkier being on the phone. I kept using iTunes but then found that I couldn't transfer all my music to a USB or SD to play in the bike. I agree a lot of my iTunes music could be played but some stuff didn't and apple don't offer the mp3 format even though I bought the music.
A bit off topic, but when I took delivery of my GA, I opted to load all of my iTunes music on a thumb drive so I could play my music using the handlebar multi controller. I found that some of my music files were AAC protected by Apple during download that I couldn't transfer and play via the thumb drive. iTunes allows you to "Convert" those protected music files to MP3 format and others. Simply select the music file in your iTunes Library and for to File>Convert and change the file to an MP3 file format. I have all of my iTunes music loaded on removable drives that I use on my BMW and in all of my Autos. I prefer to listen to my own music rather than the same tunes over and over again from FM or XM.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
A bit off topic, but when I took delivery of my GA, I opted to load all of my iTunes music on a thumb drive so I could play my music using the handlebar multi controller. I found that some of my music files were AAC protected by Apple during download that I couldn't transfer and play via the thumb drive. iTunes allows you to "Convert" those protected music files to MP3 format and others. Simply select the music file in your iTunes Library and for to File>Convert and change the file to an MP3 file format. I have all of my iTunes music loaded on removable drives that I use on my BMW and in all of my Autos. I prefer to listen to my own music rather than the same tunes over and over again from FM or XM.
Kevin
That's what I did with my 1600 however it isn't an option with the TFT equipped GS as there is no USB port.

Reactions: MotoToph

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
I am still baffled that the TFT "infotainment" has to be updated at a dealer! Any other car infotainment can be updated at home. Even Harley's infotainment can be updated at home via a USB drive.

BMW provide two update options on their cars. If you have subscribed to T mobile data plan then it downloads on the internal mobile. If you haven't then you can download into the app and upload to the car. On my older BMW car, updates are downloaded onto USB and when the USB is plugged in then it comes up and says found updates would you like to install. On my Nav 6, well I guess you know that, it also updates when plugged into the PC.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I got my 21 RT at the beginning of March 21 and joined the crowd of riders with connectivity issues etc, Everyone complained to BMW and they said they would fix it. In August I got an email from Stefan at BMW telling me that my bike was due an update and to contact my dealer, so I did. My dealer knew nothing so I forwarded the email to him.

I got a call telling me to bring the bike in, 3 hours after arrival I go a call telling me the update was done so I collected it.

I asked the dealer what was done and he showed me the Job card which has a bundle of numbers on it and that was it. Zero communication. of what the update did. Bear in mind this was six months after getting the bike.

The dealer and I took a look at the TFT to see if we could figure out anything different, we noticed that you could now program the buttons on the fairing and that is all I know about the update.

I tried it out with a route and it remained connected for the duration, music could be re-started after a stop and those were the main issues I had. However, my wife rang me and after that I lost voice directions. I stopped and re-started the bike and they came back so I called my wife and the voice directions stopped again. I emailed Stefan and he said watch out for an update due in December.

BMW Motorrad are using the "Mushroom method of customer care". (keep them in the dark and feed them s**t)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I got my 21 RT at the beginning of March 21 and joined the crowd of riders with connectivity issues etc
BMW Motorrad are using the "Mushroom method of customer care". (keep them in the dark and feed them s**t)
What does genuinely baffle me is the obviously blatant inadequacy of the software testing regime. How on earth can software that fails core functionality tests be released to production?

We're a long way from the days when software testing relied upon test teams manually exercising each function and verifying the results against a test plan: there are now automated test tools that exercise all functions and log results, with anything out of spec flagged up for attention.

My conclusion is that either the testing parameters are inadequately specified, that proper regression testing is not carried out when fixes to apparently unrelated functions are deployed, or that the bugs are actually known about but the software is released anyway. Which all points to a cynical disregard for the customer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What does genuinely baffle me is the obviously blatant inadequacy of the software testing regime. How on earth can software that fails core functionality tests be released to production?

We're a long way from the days when software testing relied upon test teams manually exercising each function and verifying the results against a test plan: there are now automated test tools that exercise all functions and log results, with anything out of spec flagged up for attention.

My conclusion is that either the testing parameters are inadequately specified, that proper regression testing is not carried out when fixes to apparently unrelated functions are deployed, or that the bugs are actually known about but the software is released anyway. Which all points to a cynical disregard for the customer.
BMW has a long history of disregard for their customers. That is part of the mystique. 😂

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi

What baffles me is they decided to go in-house with their TFT display and didn't just take the working "in-house" functionality that they have. I've spent a large part of my life merging, simplifying and bringing efficiency to company operations and I've never presented the need for two different IT systems to be built with the same functionality unless the regulator requires it. If there is a regulatory boundary then I recommend two copies of the same system with either logical or physical separation depending on the legal requirement.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts

My BMW Dealer is an hour and a half ride into the next State each way. A 3 hour software update will be an all day service appointment for me........doesn't sound very efficient. Even my 2017 Jeep has software and navigation updates via a USB drive mailed to vehicle owners. Seems strange that BMW would prefer to pay Dealer labor rates for something Owners could easily do.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
You’re going to be disappointed then, as there’s no facility for music via USB on the MY2022 K1600's.
You may be right, but even the Owners Manual for my 2018 Grand America makes no mention of the USB port and zipper bag in the right saddlebag.......but it's there, and I use it all the time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
You may be right, but even the Owners Manual for my 2018 Grand America makes no mention of the USB port and zipper bag in the right saddlebag.......but it's there, and I use it all the time.
The USB port in the phone pocket (the only one on the RT) is used to charge the phone only. Music is played on your phone and comes to your headset via the TFT.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
According to the Owners Manual for the '22 Grand America and the GTL (don't have the GT manual), Data can be stored locally and transferred using a smartphone, USB Stick, or MP3 player. That tells me that I'd be able to use a thumb drive for listening to my personal music through the bike entertainment system.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
According to the Owners Manual for the '22 Grand America and the GTL (don't have the GT manual), Data can be stored locally and transferred using a smartphone, USB Stick, or MP3 player. That tells me that I'd be able to use a thumb drive for listening to my personal music through the bike entertainment system.
Font Number Handwriting Circle

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
According to the Owners Manual for the '22 Grand America and the GTL (don't have the GT manual), Data can be stored locally and transferred using a smartphone, USB Stick, or MP3 player.
Sorry, but I fancy that you’re misinterpreting what is in the manual.

The section that you refer to is related to data in the vehicle that may be the subject of legal disclosure. The particular statement in the bullet point that references USB sticks is in the sub-section headed “Data input and data transfer in the vehicle / General”, and immediately above the bullet point are the words, “Depending on the individual equipment, this includes:” (my emphasis).

Nowhere else in the manual does it reference a USB port except for charging provision, so I conclude that the relevant “individual equipment” to support media on a USB stick is not present.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Don't forget on the K16 the only charging option for your phone/nav unit (bike phone) is the USB port, there is no wireless charging and you have to keep your phone charged if you want to run the BMW App for music or maps.

I believe BMW are also selling a special USB cable that is the exact length of the pocket as room is tight.

201 - 220 of 282 Posts