BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
But I don't want a separate phone for calls or music, my music is downloaded to my phone and I often download new music and get straight on the bike. If I connect my phone to my helmet then I can't see my calls from the TFT which I thought was a big plus.

Who wants two phones, I have the other way round, two sims in one phone

In simple terms I just want to get on the bike and go and not connect anything. That's what I do today. Today my phone connects to the sat nav and ear studio and helmet and i can make calls, get traffic updates, listen to music from phone, listen to radio on bike all on Bluetooth. WiFi is a far more energy consuming technology maybe 100 times, than Bluetooth. My helmet is connected to my bike and my phone. I'm not hiding from anyone i have one mobile number for everything in my life, I don't need a second.

Can I ask, If you make a call on the TFT does the call come through the TFT bluetooth connection or direct phone connection to the helmet? My phone is only capable of having connectivity to one device for phone not two. When i make a Bluetooth connection I configure use for data, media or phone.

You're basically saying there are 3 options

1. Two phones, keep everything synced and tell everyone you have a Bike number. What about text messages do they appear, I guess only if sent to the new number. What happens if someone is stealing my BMW car whilst I'm on the motorbike the tracker will contact my phone that isn't connected, no two numbers doesn't work for me. Everyone has my one number.
2. One phone, in your pocket but you will get battery anxiety just watching the road map
3. One phone that fits the compartment, stop using a case on the phone, or take off every time, Take gloves off fiddle around drive away
Do reverse when you get somewhere.

You can't easily use a smartphone when there is water on the display. Have you seen all the promotional videos from BMW, the app demonstration is by people in office clothes ready to go for a coffee not people dressed up trying to find a hotel at a motorway services in wet clothes on a cold day negate the weather's turned.

I will wait judgement until the K16 arrives I hope option 3 isn't a nightmare, but if it's as bad as you say, I will be complaining big time to BMW and may well not accept the new bike and keep my current one. I know some people who have done that because of no bluetooth. I just need to find the BMW text that is a contradiction of reality and I'm sure I've read easy to use somewhere.

I hadn't looked into this TFT stuff at all, I thought it would be like the stuff in my car but with WW instead of the car joystick.

Amazing, I will wait, Excel London next month
Ok lets try and make some sense of all of this, lets look at it from what BMW expect you to do and that is have a single phone to connect to the TFT.

1. You will have to keep the phone charged either on your person or on the bike.
2. Before you start to ride you need to open your music App and select a playlist or whatever type of music you want to play.
3. If you are going on a route you will have to select it in the APP
4. The TFT will be Blue toothed to your phone and your headset will also be Blue toothed to to the TFT
5. When you start the bike the TFT will automatically start the BMW App on your phone and after about a minute display the map.

That's it, it will work however, you will not get text or email notifications on the TFT. You can make and receive calls that come through the TFT.

You will have no voice control over your phone so if you use Waze or want to do a voice call forget it.

If you break your phone and are in the middle of the Alps or somewhere you are properly stuffed, no phone no navigation.

If you choose to use the bike pocket for your phone and

1. Slide off you bike someday and your bike goes one way and you another and you really, really want to call someone for help you are stuffed. Obviously you can get around this the BMW way with the SOS option.

2. On another post I listed the 18 steps you will probably have to take every time you stop your bike and go for a coffee, chat etc.

Good luck with the Simpletons at Excel, I doubt you will get much more that a smile and blank look.

This is a video I done a while back it demonstrated a problem with the App and the TFT, I sent it to BMW and they acknowledged the problem and have now fixed it. It will give you a look at what the TFT is like. Scroll forward to about 2 minutes into it. The video demonstrated the problem and the fix that we had to do until BMW updated the TFT software last August

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Nope, the BMW App can be up and running on your bike phone, hooked into the bike via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. You can play music from your bike phone and all is well. If you put a Sim in you bike phone you can make and receive calls on it. So the bike phone is an independent unit doing essentially what your Garmin is doing.

Your bike phone can be hooked into your headset using Phone 1 or possibly the Navigation connection, I don't know about which is the best cause I don't use it that way.

You personal phone can also be hooked up to your headset as Phone 2.

I have not experimented with this, cause I don't use it that way but maybe someone else on this forum can comment, if not, you should try the RT forums for more info.

I see no reason why your bike phone and personal phone can't be connected to your headset using Phone 1, Phone 2 or the Navigation option. Each phone should be able to operate separately

Hope this clears up any confusion.
But I don't want a separate phone for calls or music, my music is downloaded to my phone and I often download new music and get straight on the bike. If I connect my phone to my helmet then I can't see my calls from the TFT which I thought was a big plus.

In simple terms I just want to get on the bike and go and not connect anything. That's what I do today. Today my phone connects to the sat nav and ear studio and helmet and i can make calls, get traffic updates, listen to music from phone, listen to radio on bike all on Bluetooth. WiFi is a far more energy consuming technology maybe 100 times, than Bluetooth. My helmet is connected to my bike and my phone. I'm not hiding from anyone i have one mobile number for everything in my life, I don't need a second.

Can I ask, If you make a call on the TFT does the call come through the TFT bluetooth connection or direct phone connection to the helmet? My phone is only capable of having connectivity to one device for phone not two. When i make a Bluetooth connection I configure use for data, media or phone.

You're basically saying there are 3 options

1. Two phones, keep everything synced and tell everyone you have a Bike number. What about text messages do they appear, I guess only if sent to the new number. What happens if someone is stealing my BMW car whilst I'm on the motorbike the tracker will contact my phone that isn't connected, no two numbers doesn't work for me. Everyone has my one number.
2. One phone, in your pocket but you will get battery anxiety just watching the road map
3. One phone that fits the compartment, stop using a case on the phone, or take off every time, Take gloves off fiddle around drive away
Do reverse when you get somewhere.

You can't easily use a smartphone when there is water on the display. Have you seen all the promotional videos from BMW, the app demonstration is by people in office clothes ready to go for a coffee not people dressed up trying to find a hotel at a motorway services in wet clothes on a cold day negate the weather's turned.

I will wait judgement until the K16 arrives I hope option 3 isn't a nightmare, but if it's as bad as you say, I will be complaining big time to BMW and may well not accept the new bike and keep my current one. I know some people who have done that because of no bluetooth. I just need to find the BMW text that is a contradiction of reality and I'm sure I've read easy to use somewhere.

I hadn't looked into this TFT stuff at all, I thought it would be like the stuff in my car but with WW instead of the car joystick.

Amazing, I will wait, Excel London

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I'm going to excel to see if my phone fits in the compartment and how easy it all is

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, you can put your smart phone in your pocket, but you'll have to set it up to stay on all the time, and will probably drain the battery running it continuously for map routing without any power connected. Do a search online for the '22 B, and you should find lots of pictures.
Kevin
Good point with the always on - I forgot that. Then I might have to get a dedicated phone for the bike. I do also use my phone for tracking when running (on rare occasions :)) and it does not seem to drain the battery that fast. We will see!

Regarding the photos (and videos) - I can find plenty of BMW press photos and two BMW videos of the new ‘22 models. However, I can only find one pre-/review video and 0 photos of the new models (not taken/released by BMW). I find that quite strange compared to e.g. the R18B. Soon after being presented, plenty of photos and preview videos showed up.

The only (non-BMW Motorrad) video I can find is this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Regarding the photos (and videos) - I can find plenty of BMW press photos and two BMW videos of the new ‘22 models. However, I can only find one pre-/review video and 0 photos of the new models (not taken/released by BMW). I find that quite strange compared
Here's photos from the NEC that Phil took , is this what you meant?

Reactions: onkeldunkel

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Good point with the always on - I forgot that. Then I might have to get a dedicated phone for the bike. I do also use my phone for tracking when running (on rare occasions :)) and it does not seem to drain the battery that fast. We will see!

Regarding the photos (and videos) - I can find plenty of BMW press photos and two BMW videos of the new ‘22 models. However, I can only find one pre-/review video and 0 photos of the new models (not taken/released by BMW). I find that quite strange compared to e.g. the R18B. Soon after being presented, plenty of photos and preview videos showed up.

The only (non-BMW Motorrad) video I can find is this one:

All of the pictures and videos I've seen of the new K models are from BMW. I wouldn't expect to see any 3rd party information until the bikes are released to the public sometime in February. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
All of the pictures and videos I've seen of the new K models are from BMW. I wouldn't expect to see any 3rd party information until the bikes are released to the public sometime in February. Stay tuned.
You can read the manual, what's left to know. I'm going to London show next month so I'll take pics there, of all the K models they have on show.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found this video from NEC 2021, which shows all the K-models - not the best video though:
. Looking forward to seeing some more images, especially of the Manhanttan Metallic Matt I ordered :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Then just buy a phone that supports two sims, but it in regards to the TFT it will not give you any benefits.
I'll repeat what I said yesterday:
Maybe it is different in your neck of the woods but here in Norway you can have two sim cards with the same number. When the phone rings it rings on both phones. you get text messages on both phones. Maybe worth checking out if that is possible also where you live.

Some additional information on how it works with my provider. The phone with the primary sim card has to be turned on, if not the phone with the secondary sim card will not ring. With my provider I can choose if text messages should go to both phones/sim cards or just one of them.
WIth two phones but one number you will get calls on the TFT.

Regarding music, my understanding is that it is possible to play music from the phone, music that is located on your phone using the music player native to the phone, not Spotify/Tidal etc. So if you can synchronize music files downloaded to your primary phone to the bike phone you are good to go. Maybe something like Onedrive, Dropbox can be used to this purpose? I do not have a bike with the new TFT so the above suggestion is my understanding of what might work based on information from this site and reading the manual.

BTW, how do you play music from you phone today? Do you start it manually on the phone before you start riding? If so I'm pretty sure you can have all the functionality you want by having two phones with twin sim cards sharing the same number.

·
Registered
864 Posts
One question is

After not using the app for a period of time say a week it takes me multiple times to log in and this is frustrating does anyone else have the same symptoms

And my other flaw is what happens when you replace your phone does all information get transferred or is the slate wiped clean

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
One question is

After not using the app for a period of time say a week it takes me multiple times to log in and this is frustrating does anyone else have the same symptoms

And my other flaw is what happens when you replace your phone does all information get transferred or is the slate wiped clean

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
This logging in crap is new and very frustrating. I suggest we all send a note to the developers and tell them that. I got a new phone a few months ago and everything transferred without problems.

Reactions: cboothe

·
Registered
40 Posts
@orkabeke: Are you sure regarding not being able to play Spotify etc.? I really hope you are not! I only use Spotify and stopped downloading music to my phone many years ago :)

I know it works on a R18B and based on what is said in the German K1600 ‘22 preview video - the new K1600’ should use the same audio unit as the R18B.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
@orkabeke: Are you sure regarding not being able to play Spotify etc.? I really hope you are not! I only use Spotify and stopped downloading music to my phone many years ago :)

I know it works on a R18B and based on what is said in the German K1600 ‘22 preview video - the new K1600’ should use the same audio unit as the R18B.

This is why i said I would wait before complaining, I read somewhere that the K1600 system was an upgrade to the R1250 system. i don't really want to complain about a R1250 system.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
BTW, how do you play music from you phone today? Do you start it manually on the phone before you start riding? If so I'm pretty sure you can have all the functionality you want by having two phones with twin sim cards sharing the same number.
OK I have an Earstudio device that gets power from the USB socket and plays Bluetooth to the AUX socket. The Earstudio pairs to both my and her phone simultaneously. I used to use ITunes but that was a bit proprietary, I couldn't download some ITunes to the SD card that I used to put in the NAV VI for music selection there so I went to Google Music, that shut down and now I'm on a mix of Spotify and Amazon. For my phone I do have to select a play list before getting going or change at the lights. For her phone she just changes things whilst we ride along. I can't remember how Earstudio switches between the phones, it's automatic, maybe it switches when music is played on the phone.

My phone is paired to the Nav VI for phone & traffic & Earstudio for media. My helmet is paired to the bike and Nav VI for calls. Her helmet is paired to the bike and her phone. Sometimes I listen to my play list and she listens to hers. We can both start a conversation with each other by pressing a button on the helmets or I have a button on the left that switches as well.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Maybe it is different in your neck of the woods but here in Norway you can have two sim cards with the same number. When the phone rings it rings on both phones. you get text messages on both phones. Maybe worth checking out if that is possible also where you live
Can you give me the name of the product and mobile provider? I googled it and, it's an often asked question with the answer no. One use case I read was a builder who has an old cracked phone that he uses at work and a nice phone for home. So there's definitely a market for such a product.

I actually have a dual SIM phone, I always use the second sim as a local SIM. For instance in EU I use my Polish number and Polish data plan as it's EU wide, in US I use a US SIM card etc. I always keep my UK SIM card in the phone. Now we've left the EU our UK providers have decided to re-introduce roaming charges.

It's highly frustrating that BMW didn't have the common sense to provide data to the TFT from the SOS SIM card and just use Bluetooth for the low bandwidth phone stuff. In my BMW car I have system 7 and it seems to works like that.

In a way I want a bike solution that doesn't extend complexity beyond the bike when I'm not using it. I just want it to all work on the bike when I use it. I also don't want to fiddle about every time I go for a ride, I just want to get on and go.

You look at the BMW car solution, I search on the "My BMW" app for where I want to go and send it to the car by SMS and then when I start the car it says "Navigate to X?" I say yes and away I go. I have two BMW cars, one is 2021 and the other is 2015 and the "my BMW" app can send addresses to both cars, check status, location etc. It's hardly a leading edge technology for BMW. I'd rather pay a subscription for that experience than anything else. But you never know, maybe it all works like that come the arrival of the bike.

On a side note, my 2021 car also has a digital key card, I don't see why BMW haven't transferred that technology to the bike where we're always looking to reduce the number and size of items we have. The idea is that the one digital key card works with all your BMW products.

Reactions: ViennaK

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
One question is
There are a lot of questions above so this is a reply to the above and some of the rest:

1. When you replace your phone, you will download the BMW App to your new phone and pair it to the bike. All the bike data e.g. miles, fuel, time for service will transfer to your new phone. You will then download whatever maps your need to your new phone. I have two phones, my bike phone and my personal phone. I have the BMW App on both phones and all the maps I need downloaded to both phones. Obviously, only one phone can be paired to the bike at a time, but if my bike phone broke, I would simply pair my personal phone to the bike and continue.

2. Whatever music you play on your phone i.e. Spotify, Amazon, YouTube or downloaded music can be played on the bike. I also have a radio App on my phone and its brilliant, I can setup favourite channels and switch channels using the wonder wheel. BTW from what I understand, if you have the bike radio it only plays radio and the sound is not muted when directions are provided from the BMW App e.g. directions.

3. Its the same 10.25" Bosch TFT that is installed on the RT and R18 bikes that is going on the K bikes and the same App so everything will be the same.

4. The 6.5" TFT on the GS, S bikes and some others is different in that this TFT does not show maps, just turn by turn directions. For these bikes BMW originally provided a Nav cradle but that is now moving on to the phone cradle recently announced. These bikes also use the same BMW App, so its "One App for ALL".

5. I have no problem logging into the BMW Connected App, I have just tried it on my personal phone and it has updated the App to the latest version and asked me to update my maps. My bike is off the road at the minute due to winter. Tonight I will switch on my bike phone and do the same update.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK I have an Earstudio device that gets power from the USB socket and plays Bluetooth to the AUX socket. The Earstudio pairs to both my and her phone simultaneously. I used to use ITunes but that was a bit proprietary, I couldn't download some ITunes to the SD card that I used to put in the NAV VI for music selection there so I went to Google Music, that shut down and now I'm on a mix of Spotify and Amazon. For my phone I do have to select a play list before getting going or change at the lights. For her phone she just changes things whilst we ride along. I can't remember how Earstudio switches between the phones, it's automatic, maybe it switches when music is played on the phone.

My phone is paired to the Nav VI for phone & traffic & Earstudio for media. My helmet is paired to the bike and Nav VI for calls. Her helmet is paired to the bike and her phone. Sometimes I listen to my play list and she listens to hers. We can both start a conversation with each other by pressing a button on the helmets or I have a button on the left that switches as well.
In theory I think you should get all that you want with a bike phone in addition to your primary phone. Something like this should work:
  • Connect primary phone to helmet and Earstudio just like you do today.
  • Connect bike phone to bike.
  • Connect helmet to bike.

This assumes that the helmet can connect to both your primary phone and the bike at the same time which needs to be verified. Since you today connect the helmet to two devices I guess it should work. I can't guarantee that this works so don't make any purchases based on this information. 😀

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can you give me the name of the product and mobile provider? I googled it and, it's an often asked question with the answer no. One use case I read was a builder who has an old cracked phone that he uses at work and a nice phone for home. So there's definitely a market for such a product.

I actually have a dual SIM phone, I always use the second sim as a local SIM. For instance in EU I use my Polish number and Polish data plan as it's EU wide, in US I use a US SIM card etc. I always keep my UK SIM card in the phone. Now we've left the EU our UK providers have decided to re-introduce roaming charges.
Here in Norway this is called "tvilling-SIM" wich directly translates to "twin-sim". Here is a google translated text about this from my provider Telenor: "Gemini is the service for you who use several mobile phones. You get an extra SIM card and can use the phones with the same subscription and the same number."
I thought this was a standard that was offered all over the world, but maybe it is not offered in the UK. I see that Vodafone has something the call OneNumber but it only seems to be supported with certain smartwatches.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2. Whatever music you play on your phone i.e. Spotify, Amazon, YouTube or downloaded music can be played on the bike. I also have a radio App on my phone and its brilliant, I can setup favourite channels and switch channels using the wonder wheel. BTW from what I understand, if you have the bike radio it only plays radio and the sound is not muted when directions are provided from the BMW App e.g. directions.
Can you switch between apps using the wonder wheel?

161 - 180 of 213 Posts