BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the 1 day On Road school here recently?

Wondering what it is like and if you felt like it was worth the $635.

I have taken numerous slow speed parking lot classes (All the MSF classes, Ride Like A Pro, and Pro Rider) so I don't think I will gain much from additional slow speed instruction VS me practicing what I already have learned. What I am wondering is if you get any higher speed and track type work and if so how much time was spent. Trying to work my way up to some full track day training but don't think I am ready yet for all out track day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's been a few years since I took the course, but unless things have changed considerably, I don't think this is the course you are looking for, good training, but mostly slow speed. Additionally, if you do decide to take the course, if you are an MOA member, you get a discount, and can also apply for a Paul B scholarship from MOA for 250 bucks. Might make the course a little more attractive.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,338 Posts
Trying to work my way up to some full track day training but don't think I am ready yet for all out track day.
I had the same question for the same reason. I'd like some training on "spirited" sport-touring riding, hanging off/weight transfer, and trail braking, and don't want to worry about being the guy on a huge bike all the pure sportbikes are riding around, because I'm so slow compared to them I'm in their way and they're all annoyed as heck.

Ideally, I'd like to find a novice track day where most of the participants are FJR, GS, or K16-type guys.

I've seen pics/vids of such, so I know it's been done, but can't find one on the innerwebs.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a few years since I took the course, but unless things have changed considerably, I don't think this is the course you are looking for, good training, but mostly slow speed.
I suspected this might be the case simply from a liability standpoint for BMW.

Here in ATL we have Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway and now the Porsche track - all of which offer novice auto training days. I think Road Atlanta has some moto stuff from time to time but what I have seen it is mostly the serious track day events which are over my head and even these events are scarce.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

I have taken numerous slow speed parking lot classes (All the MSF classes, Ride Like A Pro, and Pro Rider) so I don't think I will gain much from additional slow speed instruction VS me practicing what I already have learned. What I am wondering is if you get any higher speed and track type work and if so how much time was spent. Trying to work my way up to some full track day training but don't think I am ready yet for all out track day.

Thanks.
Save your money. I was able to split the cost of the course with a friend as part of a buy one get one free promotion a few years ago. It was basically an advanced MSF course. We finished the day with about 15 minutes of spirited riding on the big track.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I just finished the 1 day course. It was great. It is a lot of slow speed practice. Tight circles, Figure of eights, Slow in line and staggered slalom practice (Very tight turns). Emergency braking with avoidance. For me, this is what I needed. Definintely worth the money. There are courses that cater specifically for track days. The BMW 1 day riding course is not the course for that. I hope that this helps. The instructors ar great. Patient. Encouraging. Very positive.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts

Thanks.
Check out the California Superbike School. I took level one at Barber in Birmingham several years years ago. You can bring your own bike or use one of their S1000RRs. I rode my RT. Their instruction is top notch, I think you will find its exactly what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out the California Superbike School. I took level one at Barber in Birmingham several years years ago. You can bring your own bike or use one of their S1000RRs. I rode my RT. Their instruction is top notch, I think you will find its exactly what you are looking for.
Thanks - looks like I just missed the one at Barber for this year. I see they have one coming up in VA. Might do that one - I have family in Richmond and I can probably work out a timely visit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you don't mind coming up to the NY area, there's an outfit called "Tony's Track Days" and he hosts 2 or 3 "non sport bike days" at some tracks. Mostly touring and sport touring bikes, no sport bikes, heard its a great time and very informational without the pressure of other sport bikes working on getting faster. More focus on cornering. I'm doing my first in July. I'll report back.

Reactions: WillH

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last month
Loved it
Not slow the whole time
All done on track
30-40 -50 MPH EMERGENCY STOPPING
HOW AT HIGHER SPEEDS to avoid the rear end of a tractor trailer ( cones used for the experiment ) lol lol
Awesome instructor , he is a highway cop , who teaches there ....call his cell .. super nice guy and he will answer questions etc
704-791-4037
Mention my name ( Greg w the GTL ) his name is ARON ....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like some training on "spirited" sport-touring riding, hanging off/weight transfer, and trail braking, and don't want to worry about being the guy on a huge bike all the pure sportbikes are riding around, because I'm so slow compared to them I'm in their way and they're all annoyed as heck. /QUOTE]

RideSmart Texas

Your comments are exactly what I've also been looking for. They offer a "Street Bike" course that's designed for big touring bikes and sport bikes are not allowed. Of course they specialize in sport bike courses with different levels. I attended their 101 intro course on Saturday at COTA Austin. I'm already signed up for a Novice / Level-1 course on 8 Sept and I'll be back for a Level-1 track day at COTA on 30 Nov. Yes... ride your bike in 20 minute sessions on the same MotoGP track all day. The classroom work after each session is also required for the L-1 riders.

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks.
Well worth it. Every penny - do not use your own bike - rent theirs - you will do things you would never do with your own bike. - like lock up your rear wheel a 55 mph & leave a 150’ rubber patch . Or drop it and pick it up and not even look at what got damaged 😎

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,338 Posts
Well worth it. Every penny - do not use your own bike - rent theirs - you will do things you would never do with your own bike. - like lock up your rear wheel a 55 mph & leave a 150’ rubber patch . Or drop it and pick it up and not even look at what got damaged 😎
Well, that implies you got "up to speed" in the BMW class. Can you give a bit of detail about size of track used, whether you primarily saw GS's doing a street add-on to the dirt portion of their class, or whether you saw sport-touring machines? If you "rent theirs," what will it be? A big GS, something else?

·
Registered
127 Posts
If higher speed training is what you are looking for and want to learn more about throttle control, line selection, vision, self-confidence, trail breaking, etc then Keith Cole's course (California Superbike - 4 levels) and Lee Park's Total Control (2 levels) would be better choices than the one-day BMW Motorrad course. I have taken parts of both and are worth the time and money.
Not sure if the 2 day 0n-road BMW course moves into higher speed training but the folks at Spartanburg are exceedingly nice and helpful; I would call them and ask them.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
If higher speed training is what you are looking for and want to learn more about throttle control, line selection, vision, self-confidence, trail breaking, etc then Keith Cole's course (California Superbike - 4 levels) and Lee Park's Total Control (2 levels) would be better choices than the one-day BMW Motorrad course. I have taken parts of both and are worth the time and money.
Not sure if the 2 day 0n-road BMW course moves into higher speed training but the folks at Spartanburg are exceedingly nice and helpful; I would call them and ask them.
+1 on Keith Code's school. They have courses at several tracks and it's a worthwhile school to attend.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Totally understood, but wouldnt you get most benefit from doing this on your own bike?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks.
worth every penny. - rent their bike - you will do things you wouldn’t dream of doing on your owm ride - trust me it was awesome

1 - 20 of 21 Posts