BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yeah...I don't think I'd put any one of those near the top of my wish list.

Some nice bikes, but just not what I'm looking for in two-wheeled transport...

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
744 Posts
The F range updates were expected but I see they are still testing the market with that Concept R18/2 big beast. I gather getting an oil/air cooled engine through future noise/emissions will be a bit of a challenge, along with oil foaming in a big boxer twin layout.

Best they devote more energy into keeping the existing customer base happy & park some of the more outlandish ideas for the time being.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see the updated to the S1000XR. Colors are not for me. However, the bike is one of the best sellers for BMW. To compete it is said Ducati is going to make a V4 MultiStrada- OMG!!. Best,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would be interested in seeing where the pricing comes in on the S1000XR, and the 900XR, seeing if it can compete with Yamaha's Tracer 900GT, especially in pricing, which is 13k.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I'm with @Meese, nothing exciting for me. I'm holding out for a shift-cam K1600. :)

Duane

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had half thought that with the new Goldwing launch BMW might have decided to give a few updates to the K1600 range, but no, they launched a cruiser that sounds like a moped with a burst exhaust :crying:

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Nothing in for me, I have a bad feeling about the K1600 future, would have expected some updates like TFT screens and new audio, but no. Lets see if they pull something together for the actual model 2021 in fall 2020. If not it could very well be the closing bell for the BigK.
These EU5 regulations for motorcycles or the extreme targets for energy efficiency for cars will take out low volume vehicles like the K1600 and affordable subcompact cars because the specific costs to reduce fuel consumption pushes the the prices up too far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nothing in for me, I have a bad feeling about the K1600 future, would have expected some updates like TFT screens and new audio, but no. Lets see if they pull something together for the actual model 2021 in fall 2020. If not it could very well be the closing bell for the BigK.
These EU5 regulations for motorcycles or the extreme targets for energy efficiency for cars will take out low volume vehicles like the K1600 and affordable subcompact cars because the specific costs to reduce fuel consumption pushes the the prices up too far.
I don't feel the need for anything else for my 2017 k1600 GT, with all the ergonomic mods I've made. I see a Wilbers suspension in my near future and potentially (not really need it or financially worth it) an aftermarket exhaust (Akrapovic OEM or Remus Black Hawk).
No need for TFT as I have the Nav VI in position at all times, no need for audio - my Schuberth SC1 Advanced is streaming directly from the Nav VI,Spotify or Apple Music from my iphone. Not amazing, but adequate - not quite the wired Baehr top of the line intercom / headsets from my previous beemers, but I don't miss the hassle of all the wires. I don't need or miss any bike audio capabilities (this is my first and last bike with "audio system").
All I need for my bike are: money for tires, gas, maintenance and travel. And the time for it, of course. For up to 10 years, I'm good. Sure, there will always be better toys but this bike is more than beautifully equipped to deliver absolute motorcycle joy, for years to come :)
And my next bike after this will be an electric supertourer (once the tech is there and the price makes sense), so it anyway doesn't matter what BMW does to the K16 range :)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hey BMW Less bikes and better quality please! Even the 2020 S1000rr has a recall on oil cooler and lines. Open driveshaft? Sadly they've gone with looks over function, a big step backwards!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I for one, am not quite sure where this presentation left me. Certainly I like seeing new models and knowing that BMW is selling like hot cakes in Italy, but I don't live in Italy and the new models aren't my cup of tea at 68 years old. I assuredly am not a fan of the R18 or whatever they call the big Boxer, it just doesn't look right to me. The entire subject of touring purpose was left out of the presentation and all I saw in the videos were a couple of almost naked bikes chasing down twisty roads with no other traffic, or driving in an urban setting at about 3:00 AM also traffic free.

Perhaps there is a connection here of sorts in that as you sell more motorcycles you begin getting intoxicated with your own success and start developing models that stretch the imagination, but have no real purpose. The perfect example of that would be Harley-Davidson. H-D could lop off fully half of their models and no one would ever miss them plus they would save a ton of money. They could also put Livewire on the shelf until battery technology gets to the point of allowing a trip of more than 90 miles before a recharge is needed. This all begs the question, does BMW consider the K1600 a true success and worthy of updating and keeping in the line up, or is it just a model that is nearing the end of the line for them soon to follow the 1200LT into oblivion. It's difficult to judge where BMW is going with the K1600 series from this new model presentation, but there obviously was no emphasis on our beloved model. Kinda of sad in a way, I had hoped for more from BMW.

Rick H.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I for one, am not quite sure where this presentation left me. Certainly I like seeing new models and knowing that BMW is selling like hot cakes in Italy, but I don't live in Italy and the new models aren't my cup of tea at 68 years old. I assuredly am not a fan of the R18 or whatever they call the big Boxer, it just doesn't look right to me. The entire subject of touring purpose was left out of the presentation and all I saw in the videos were a couple of almost naked bikes chasing down twisty roads with no other traffic, or driving in an urban setting at about 3:00 AM also traffic free.

Perhaps there is a connection here of sorts in that as you sell more motorcycles you begin getting intoxicated with your own success and start developing models that stretch the imagination, but have no real purpose. The perfect example of that would be Harley-Davidson. H-D could lop off fully half of their models and no one would ever miss them plus they would save a ton of money. They could also put Livewire on the shelf until battery technology gets to the point of allowing a trip of more than 90 miles before a recharge is needed. This all begs the question, does BMW consider the K1600 a true success and worthy of updating and keeping in the line up, or is it just a model that is nearing the end of the line for them soon to follow the 1200LT into oblivion. It's difficult to judge where BMW is going with the K1600 series from this new model presentation, but there obviously was no emphasis on our beloved model. Kinda of sad in a way, I had hoped for more from BMW.

Rick H.
Well said.

The video tells you that BMW is looking beyond the small group of aging riders (us :smile:) who make up their touring segment. The company exists more than anything else to make money, and they have to chase the demographics where they can sell the most bikes.

It aint us.....

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Not sure what people are looking for? BMW DIDN'T make any changes to the model we love, and people are complaining because that means they have lost their focus on sport touring? I see model development as a rotating sprinkler, and at this point the nozzle isn't aimed our way.... which means things are good and it is still dominant in a ever decreasing segment of the market.

If you look at the developement of the line, from the initial 2012 machines, to the peak of the line in 2014-2015, the reface of the fairing (in 2017?) and the addition of reverse 2017 again? it has been constant incremental improvements.

I might be somewhat biased regarding the 2014 pinnacle, but hey, everyone has an axe to grind.

Frankly, BMW can continue to ignore our model until a complete refresh is required in 2028 (..at least that was how long Honda went with the 2002 goldwing)..I'm happy and it would take a lot for me to decide there was something else I cant live without..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts