BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put on non-factory brake pads and have squealing noises from the sintered pad material? My fronts were gone at 24k. Due to the high price of the BMW pads , I tried the aftermarket ones and hate the squeal. I used brake grease on the sliders too. I quess I’ll be going back with BMW next time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure if this is it, but it may be:

See 11:15 into this video

The original pads came with noise eliminator which can be transferred to new pads.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Has anybody put on non-factory brake pads and have squealing noises from the sintered pad material? My fronts were gone at 24k. Due to the high price of the BMW pads , I tried the aftermarket ones and hate the squeal. I used brake grease on the sliders too. I quess I’ll be going back with BMW next time.
EBC on my fronts, no noise at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i use brembo pads, but different pad materials sound different, my fronts squeal, the backs don't. Anti Squeal shims are in place

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the EBC brake pads from Beemerboneyard. I also transferred the anti-squeal shims to the new pads. Maybe I just have a bum set?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I used the EBC brake pads from Beemerboneyard. I also transferred the anti-squeal shims to the new pads. Maybe I just have a bum set?
what pad material, carbon, sintered !!

·
Registered
516 Posts
EBC sintered front and rear. No squeal. Assembled clean and dry, no grease. When installed years back my first impression was I did not like them. They were more noisy than the original worn out pads removed. Never a squeal but louder when braking and my thought was they would wear out the rotors faster, over thinking it for sure. The brake performance seemed normal after the break-in period.

Pad replacements for my current K1600 or its replacement will be the BMW pads. The cost difference is minimal when considering how many times they are serviced, compared to tire or oil and filter replacement cost. Happy braking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try brake cleaner on the discs. Use an abrasive pad (like on the back of a washing up sponge) to rub the discs with. I had a squeal after fitting EBC pads, I was told that the new material didn't like the coating left from the previous pads.

Cleaned the discs. Squeal gone.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I use a green Scotch Brite pad and then wipe down with brake cleaner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I put a set of Carbone Lorraine pads on the front of my GT and the made a awful noise at slow speed. Never an issue with my RTs. Went back to stock and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scrubbed the rotors but they still were noisey. Replaced with new EBC pads and problems are gone now!

·
Registered
364 Posts
David Drew is correct. My Jeep dealer service manager recommended abrasive cleaning pad for pots from any food store with WD-40 Degreaser which is so safe for any plastic, paint or finish. Rub it while wheel is up few times, than clean rag with same degreaser and to do it occasionally. Brakes like new !!!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
So the alarm indication on display remains on forever?

There are no electric connected wear sensors on bike pads, and no warning will be given on the display.
I've had many bikes over many years and I don't know if any do. I stand to be corrected though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts