BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just bought my first BMW motorcycle. I got a 2020 1600 GA. Had to drive it 2 hours from the dealership to home in PA in the dark as my first ride and the bike didn’t disappoint. Now, the morning after, I need to figure out all of the buttons and cool things that can be done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Had mine over a year before I knew there was AM on the radio. Enjoy the bike and forum. Some pretty good folks on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, reading the owners manual is key. I would even suggest you have the manual in your hand while first learning the whiz wheel. You should pay particular attention to checking the oil(nowhere else will you see such a weird procedure). Enjoy 😊
Thanks for the advice. Yea I struggled to figure out the trips part of the wheel last night while driving. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t see the trips info in the middle when selecting it, but figured out later that it showed up all the time at the bottom unlike most other stuff, which showed up on the right.

I also didn’t realize you couldn’t pair a phone with the bike. That is a bit disappointing. I was hoping that I could pair a headset and a phone so that I could choose to play music from my phone to the bike or my headset, but I guess that isn’t possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on the GA. If you reveal how you intend to ride the bike (2-up vs. solo, music/phone preferences, navigation requirements, etc.), you'll get more direct input. In the mean time, enjoy...
Two-up. I have two other bikes, one for my wife and one for me. Mine is a Harley Livewire, which I traded in a 2018 Goldwing to get, and the other is a Honda Rebel 300. After a few months without the Goldwing, we decided we wanted a touring bike again and wanted to test them all. Landed on the BMW after coming from a Can-Am dealership last night. Didn’t like the Can-Am that much and the BMW impressed me immediately

So far, only thing I think I will need to replace/upgrade is the windscreen. I drove a while last night to get home and the stock one has a decent amount of buffeting at highway speed for my 6’2” frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congratulation! I just started riding my 2019 K1600b. It is a truly amazing machine. Lots to learn for sure, especially coming from more basic bikes. How does your wife like that Rebel? We have a deposit down on a 500 for my wife. Hopefully they will start hitting VA soon. Have fun and be safe.

·
Upside Down
1,632 Posts
Congratulations, welcome to the BMW family where you will find so many great members always willing to help if you need it. Enjoy your new bike and be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulation! I just started riding my 2019 K1600b. It is a truly amazing machine. Lots to learn for sure, especially coming from more basic bikes. How does your wife like that Rebel? We have a deposit down on a 500 for my wife. Hopefully they will start hitting VA soon. Have fun and be safe.
My wife is still timid and hasn’t much driven despite having her license. She fell over on a turn early on and has been scared to go out much since. She wants to though. We actually had a 500 Rebel and she didn’t drive it for a year or so so I ended up selling it. She wanted to try again so I got her a 300 this time. We shall see if she gets going on it. Either way, she loves riding along, so we get out together.

Hope your wife loves the bike. It is a great starter bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to BMW K16 ownership. Great bike and great forum for information.

Question: Any thoughts on the seat? Many here replace with aftermarket due to low comfort level.

Suggestion: Many threads on screens on this site if you search. We went with a California Scientific as it seemed to have the most wind protection.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum and to BMW K16 ownership. Great bike and great forum for information.

Question: Any thoughts on the seat? Many here replace with aftermarket due to low comfort level.

Suggestion: Many threads on screens on this site if you search. We went with a California Scientific as it seemed to have the most wind protection.

Enjoy your new ride.
So far the seat seems really comfortable. Have been looking at the Corbins but man they are pretty expensive.

For the windscreen was this king either the CalSci or the National Cycle VStream one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To the OP, my ex-wife has a similar experience on her bike. She ended up on a Vulcan 900 and loved it due to the like height and easy nature.

Plus, it's plastic fenders so no dents if she drops again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts