BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Bagger and just went for the Stage 1 Upgrade... Wow, what a difference! The bike screams particularly up above 3000 rpm... Sound is much better too... Honestly, before this, I was thinking about bagging the bagger and staying with my old 03 K1200RS which performed much better.

Now, I can hold a throttle position and the bagger will actually accelerate!! This is nice!

I've been reading about the Stage 2 and the Handheld.. What's the opinion on this? I've checked out their website and yes, sounds good, but would like to hear from you guys who have actually spent the bucks and realized the "benefits"...

Is this worth an additional $600 bucks?

Thanks,

Joel

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
If you already have the tune you like, the only additional benefit you will get from having the hand-held is the capability to apply your tune "locally" if the dealer ever overwrites it without having to send your ECU to Bren. However, if it is overwritten it will likely be overwritten by code that is incompatible with your current tune and you will need to spend another $100 to have Bren create a new tune to match the current revision. (No different than the "old" way).

Essentially the hand-held is not much more than a matter of ease and time. It is much faster to email files back and forth than to remove the ECU, ship it, and be without the bike while you wait for it to come back.

For me it was worth not having the hassles of removing the ECU and shipping it off...

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It was worth it to me, The stage 2 has a slight performance advantage over the stage 1 combined with the convenience of the handheld plus the fun of working on it let's me easily justify the cost. I'm still praying for stage 3 >:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you not get the stage 1 tune with the hand held tuner?? Or is stage 1 only done by sending in ECU?

·
International Man of Mystery
3,293 Posts
Can you not get the stage 1 tune with the hand held tuner?? Or is stage 1 only done by sending in ECU?
With the handheld you get both stage tunes for your bike. Easy to use with some basic computer knowledge.

Reactions: 1600B

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
When you buy the tuner, you get both Stage I and Stage II.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and 1600B

·
Registered
587 Posts
Stage 2 and beyond is amazing but you'll need gas types that are hard if not impossible to find in the US.
(92 minimum, 94 recommended or required if you really get aggressive)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bren

Also keep in mind that I think if you have Stage 1 you can upgrade to Stage 2 for $295 during the Black Friday deals.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Kudos all the way to Bren Tuning for their perseverance to get my 2017 K16GT back onto their tune. I was part of the group purchase here some 3 months ago and within 3 weeks of installing Stage 2 I had the bike in for the 80,000km service and BMW updated the software, rendering the Bren Tune out of date for my bike.

Whatever BMW did (my spy told me it was a throttle setting change particularly to soften the speedshift following the 5/6 fork issue) it has taken some 10 weeks of effort for Bren to finally update my Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes, which arrived via email last week.

I had the Stage 2 installed painlessly and off for my coffee run through the hills, and the bike is (again) what I expect from BMW. Mid range acceleration is quite stunning, touch of a scare passing a truck downhill and having to haul on the anchors approaching a hairpin; that sort of improvement!

No hesitation in recommending Bren Tuning, one of my riding mates has had his S1000RR also flashed via the handheld and is also mightily pleased. Shipping ECU's from Australia really isn't on, the handheld is the only way to go :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Kudos all the way to Bren Tuning for their perseverance to get my 2017 K16GT back onto their tune. I was part of the group purchase here some 3 months ago and within 3 weeks of installing Stage 2 I had the bike in for the 80,000km service and BMW updated the software, rendering the Bren Tune out of date for my bike.

Whatever BMW did (my spy told me it was a throttle setting change particularly to soften the speedshift following the 5/6 fork issue) it has taken some 10 weeks of effort for Bren to finally update my Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes, which arrived via email last week.

I had the Stage 2 installed painlessly and off for my coffee run through the hills, and the bike is (again) what I expect from BMW. Mid range acceleration is quite stunning, touch of a scare passing a truck downhill and having to haul on the anchors approaching a hairpin; that sort of improvement!

No hesitation in recommending Bren Tuning, one of my riding mates has had his S1000RR also flashed via the handheld and is also mightily pleased. Shipping ECU's from Australia really isn't on, the handheld is the only way to go :)
I want to make sure I understand this correctly- there is a software update to the bike that corresponds to the transmission recall- meaning any bikes affected by the recall should NOT install a Bren (or any other) tune prior to having the transmission recall performed?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I want to make sure I understand this correctly- there is a software update to the bike that corresponds to the transmission recall- meaning any bikes affected by the recall should NOT install a Bren (or any other) tune prior to having the transmission recall performed?
That's not what I meant, but the internet isn't perfect with what's written against what's read!

BMW had a software upgrade about three months ago and my contact advised that the throttle response when using the speed shift was softened, to allow for the stress on the gear forks. No gearbox recall has been carried out to date (to my knowledge) as the 5/6 gearbox cassette hasn't been distributed to dealers yet.

Whatever you choose to do with your Bren Tuning files you should/must ensure that your bike has the current BMW software before sending your file to Bren Tuning, so they will then send you the three files for your bike which will match what is in your ECU. Should there be a later change by BMW then Bren Tuning should be advised and the process repeated to give you a current set of tuning files.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I put mine back to stock just to be safe. Doesn't take long and could save me a $100 if they do install a update.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I put mine back to stock just to be safe. Doesn't take long and could save me a $100 if they do install a update.

Sent using Tapatalk

IF an update is installed during the recall process, anyone who currently went through with the Bren tune will be spending $100 unless Bren decides otherwise. We will have to send Bren the “new” stock map and receive new tuned maps. Chris (Bren) explained this in the early stages of the group buy process. If I am wrong, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
542 Posts

Sent using Tapatalk
No, I think if the dealer installs an update, you will have to pay $100 to have Bren write a new tune. If you do not flash back to stock and the dealer installs an update, you will have to not only pay $100 for the new tune, but you will also have to pay to unlock the tuner.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
No, I think if the dealer installs an update, you will have to pay $100 to have Bren write a new tune. If you do no flash back to stock and the dealer installs an update, you will have to not only pay $100 for the new tune, but you will also have to pay to unlock the tuner.
I agree with this, so I guess I'm trying to save myself some money by not having to unlock the tuner then.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Techmeister
1,638 Posts
I don't think so. I've had my Bren stage 2 in since last Winter. The bike is flawless. I am on the transmission list.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes. You can go back to stock tune before service. But Stage 2 needs super gas. Stage one is plenty for me. 125 in fourth and not redlined! And two more gears..... have no clue what a quarter mile time might be but it rolls very nicely now. Suspension settings are tighter too. AND, I can read and clear codes. Love the versatility of the handheld.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can’t say if you’re wrong or not, but Bren has given me a file that I love and the bike seems fine. It would depend upon just what an update from dealer entailed. I have no qualms about discussing these things with my shop guy. We dance around some things, naturally. But they like my money a lot. They’re not unaware of stuff that transpires, as long as folks aren’t blatant about it. IMO.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes. You can go back to stock tune before service. But Stage 2 needs super gas. Stage one is plenty for me. 125 in fourth and not redlined! And two more gears..... have no clue what a quarter mile time might be but it rolls very nicely now. Suspension settings are tighter too. AND, I can read and clear codes. Love the versatility of the handheld.
Could you expand on the suspension being tighter after the tune ?? I have had too many conversations to count with Bren on the phone and no one never mentioned anything about suspension ?? I currently have stage 1 with stage 2 on the way.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts