BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having trouble changing the tune on my bike I hook the handheld unit to the bike it is not giving me direction to adjust modified. In the instructions it does not say to reconnect the handheld device to the computer although I did do that and asked for updates to the app but I never saw the handheld device communicate with the computer any help in this would be great I’m not a computer guru but I can get by this kind of stuff frustrates me thanks in advance

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
There should be an instruction sheet included. Have you copied your stock tune and sent it into Bren? If so, have they sent you your new tunes? You should be good to go after that if you follow the instructions. I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all that downloading A while ago when I bought the bike and the tune the instructions tells you what to do when you first open the box no were does it say now to make changes do this or that I upgraded the computer app with any updates it did that but it’s not communicating or letting me download mod 2 Into the handheld device I see it in the computer but that’s as far as I can get it. When the device is connected to the bike it says one mod already exist please pick another mod or original something like that but I can’t do it on the device while it’s connected to the bike so I went back to the computer and now I really screwed things up because I just deleted mod one from the computer which is stage one so now it says I have stage zero and stage two which stage two is what I want but now I got two instead of three programs in here

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Computer says the handheld device has three programs in it already stage zero stage one and stage two But I can’t seem to change the different mods from the handheld to the motorcycle

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after enough jerking around with a handheld device I got it in I’m in stage two if the admin would like to Eliminate this thread that would be fine

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not abusive with the bike 91 octane is what we have here in California I will be fine I talk to Bren. Stage one won’t make it for me Anymore off the bottom it’s too soft

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am not abusive with the bike 91 octane is what we have here in California I will be fine I talk to Bren. Stage one won’t make it for me Anymore off the bottom it’s too soft
It's not about abusive. This is from Bren in a recent post:

"91 octane fuel is not all the same. What we see in MA, midwest, PACNW, Canada, does not equal what you see in CA, AZ, NV. ACN91, as they call it (arizona, california, nevada 91), fuel is easily the worst in the country. Couple that with high ambient temps and the bikes are more prone to knock in both stock or tuned configuration"

"If you get stuck on the stage 2 map with only 91 octane or less around, it's not the end of the world, the ECU will learn out most knock correction by reducing ignition timing. The Bosch ECU's are very smart and can learn knock quickly, turning down ignition timing to avoid issue. Would I rely on this method long term? No"

Do what you want, but I'd think hard about leaving the Stage 2 map on your bike here in California.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Stage 2 wants 93 octane gasoline so get some octane booster and use it if you can't find 93. As @JohnS1955 said, this is per Bren.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thought about getting octane booster already there is a place near my house that sells race fuel hundred octane but I don’t wanna have to go over there every time so I will getting a can of octane boost will probably be the best. it’s staying in stage two

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
The Amsoil booster is popular. A case ought to go a long way. @capav8r is a friendly forum dealer, but there are others as well.

·
Boom
702 Posts
Stage 2 is designed for 93 octane but will run just fine with 91 octane. <---- this is straight off the Bren website...not sure why people keep claiming Bren says not to use 91 octane with stage 2...because they say the opposite. If 93 is available, get it. I would take pure gas at 91 over an ethanol blend at 93 all day long (heck, the place I go locally has 110 octane, but I'd not put it in any of my vehicle). There are, certainly, different "qualities" in similar types of gas which vary from region to region or amongst different manufacturers...just figure out what combination works for your bike.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Stage 2 is designed for 93 octane but will run just fine with 91 octane. <---- this is straight off the Bren website...not sure why people keep claiming Bren says not to use 91 octane with stage 2...because they say the opposite. If 93 is available, get it. I would take pure gas at 91 over an ethanol blend at 93 all day long (heck, the place I go locally has 110 octane, but I'd not put it in any of my vehicle). There are, certainly, different "qualities" in similar types of gas which vary from region to region or amongst different manufacturers...just figure out what combination works for your bike.
@Olistoys1, see post #37 -- Noticed Engine Ping on 91 Octane

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to my local race gas AV gas supplier and they sell 112 and 122 octane but it’s a leaded fuel Can we run that in an unleaded motorcycle

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
So I went to my local race gas AV gas supplier and they sell 112 and 122 octane but it’s a leaded fuel Can we run that in an unleaded motorcycle
Here's what you need: DOMINATOR® Octane Boost

Forum member @capav8r is a distributor and is Johnny-on-the-spot in getting orders shipped.

Reactions: capav8r and Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
The lead in avgas will ruin your catalytic converters.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts