BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Bren is having a 10% off sale. My bike is not up to date as far as I'm told. I read through the process, but I'm not sure if I understand it. From what I gather, they send you the unit, you download your software, and email it to them. They write a tune and email it back? Is there a time limit on when you have to send it to them? I don't know that I'll be able to get the bike to the dealer before then end of the month, especially since we are coming into cold/wet season.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I bought my unit before I actually took possession of my bike last fall, due to the sale. As I pulled the trigger on the brand new bike, my discounted unit is just sitting in the corner for now. I originally planned to get several thousand miles on the bike, without inputting the tune, in case I had any warranty issues that needed to be addressed early on. Now with the transmission recall (I still don't have but 500 miles on the bike), I'm thinking of waiting until I not only get a couple thousand miles on the bike but also have the recall work performed, in case there is an update due to the recall work (don't know that this is happening, but the thought is there). I also don't want to be among the first dozen getting the recall work done :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
No time limit. Just make sure your new bike has the most recent flashes and updates. If the dealer has to do any work to the bike, I was told to return it to the original update. I could be wrong. I called Bren after the recall started and told/asked them if I could delay my install using the handheld. They said no problem.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
... If the dealer has to do any work to the bike, I was told to return it to the original update.
Basic intent of returning it to the original update is to prevent the dealer from tabbing the flash update as a source of problem with the bike. With the capability to store the original tune and the updated tune in the Bren Handheld Tuner, it is possible to go back and forth at ease. Now...if you take your bike in to the dealer and the dealer installs an updated factory tune from BMW, it is at that point that this update factory tune needs to be sent off to Bren (via email) and Bren will then construct an updated tune for your bike. The updated tune should incorporate the changes that were deemed necessary by BMW but will also incorporate the goodies from Bren. Nominal charge when this occurs as Bren has to do some more work. Again...I have not used my Bren Handheld Tuner yet (as I am putting the initial 1000-2000 miles on my bike first), but I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. Those with experience on here can chime in.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
You do have to initially email a file to Bren. This will identify the software version your ECM is using. Bren then emails files back to you based on the correct software version.

The instructions will walk you through how to hook up the unit and gather the information Bren needs. As was stated earlier, you can then switch back and forth using the tuner.

These tuners are designed to only let you write a tuned file to the ECM after it has pulled a copy of your stock tune. If you forget to load back the stock tune and the dealer flashes your ECM, then the tuner will not recognize the tune on the bike and lockout the tuner for writing any tunes to the bike.

There is a nominal fee to update your tuned files to match any BMW updates. Lock yourself out though and it will cost you allot more.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Basic intent of returning it to the original update is to prevent the dealer from tabbing the flash update as a source of problem with the bike. With the capability to store the original tune and the updated tune in the Bren Handheld Tuner, it is possible to go back and forth at ease. Now...if you take your bike in to the dealer and the dealer installs an updated factory tune from BMW, it is at that point that this update factory tune needs to be sent off to Bren (via email) and Bren will then construct an updated tune for your bike. The updated tune should incorporate the changes that were deemed necessary by BMW but will also incorporate the goodies from Bren. Nominal charge when this occurs as Bren has to do some more work. Again...I have not used my Bren Handheld Tuner yet (as I am putting the initial 1000-2000 miles on my bike first), but I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. Those with experience on here can chime in.
Yes that's the way it works. You can also have Bren make custom maps by request and they didn't charge me a dime to do so. I had them leave out the low temp fan turn-on and made some low rpm throttle response changes as it interfered with the hill start which I use just about every time I stop so If I do do get bumped from behind I don't get shot into the car in front of me or the intersection.

·
Registered
668 Posts
A shame there is not a Brendealership here in Australia. I do know of a few guys here that have the Bren tunes but I am an idiot when it comes to doing this,so rather just put up with the standard tunes, then play and stiff up my ECU. As a computer programmer I am a better bike rider lol :cry::censored::cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts