BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some before and after testing when getting my ECM flashed by Bren Tune. Here’s the short report:

1. The super low speed limit is GONE.
2. I didn’t notice any change in throttle (it seemed fine before and after).
3. I saw a whopping 23% increase in performance.

The more detailed version is that I used an iPhone app called “Harry’s Dyno”. It measures time to accelerate from speed X to speed Y. For the test, I had the phone wedged tightly in my cup holder with some gloves. The app uses the phone’s built in GPS, and that isn’t super accurate, but I was on a budget so it is what it is.

The bike is a 2018 K1600B Grand America with no significant mods. I ran suspension in Road mode and 2-up. The throttle was in dynamic mode. Screen was in the same place for all runs, and the tire pressures were the same. Unfortunately the temperature was about 5 degrees cooler for the after runs. The bike reported 72.5 deg F for the first runs and 67.4 deg F for the second. I tried to be in the same riding position for all runs.

I used an uphill on-ramp for testing. Uphill so that the times would be longer, reducing the effect of any timing errors. I didn’t want variations in starting or shifting to get in the way, so I chose 30mph for the starting speed and 80mph as the ending speed. That allowed me to be at a good RPM in second gear to start the test and finish it before redline. That speed range is typical of where I want performance. I did 3 runs each time.

The before runs averaged 5.31 seconds. The after runs averaged 4.10 seconds, a 23% improvement.

I have to admit that I am a bit shocked at the results. I’ve seen the dyno runs that show the bike gaining about 10 horsepower max, with gains all along the rev range, but I didn’t think that would translate into this big of a gain in the real world.

Before runs: 5.38, 5,18, 5.36.
After runs: 3.92, 4.29, 4.10.

Your mileage may vary, but that’s what I found.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow very impressive. Can you tell the power improvements via “seat of the pants”?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow very impressive. Can you tell the power improvements via “seat of the pants”?

A bit at wide open throttle is all, and even then you have to be looking for it. The speed comes not from massive extra power, but from a little extra power at all RPM.

But people with a messed up throttle will see a much bigger difference. My throttle was fine before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those are impressive results, I have ordered one and will post whats my experience.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I had the most recent ECU flash done by the dealer two weeks ago when bike was in for the transmission recall. On Monday I sent in my stock tune ID info over to Chris. I am now waiting to get my tunes to download into my handheld. I am anxious to try the new tunes but our weather in Ottawa area is still pretty crappy. Roads are still salt and grit covered. 🙄

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I just loaded stage 2 from stock. I had the modified file back in three hours after sending the stock tune. I assumed I had bought in to the hype but I'll admit I was wrong. I don't have dyno results. The GTL is a touring bike so no need.there. The best way I can describe it is I was looking for another gear because 6th was pulling like 5th. Forget the slip-ons unless it's for looks. This is the real deal.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Yeah I just loaded the stage 2 this week as well. Went for a ride yesterday. Different bike for sure. Much easier to drive slow speed, more response at all rpm ranges, pulls like a freight train. I'm very happy with everything about it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It's like the beast is on steroids, huh? After I loaded the Stage 2 tune, I thought I was going to tumble off the back of the bike upon cracking open the throttle. It's addictive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts