BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a Brit living in Switzerland. I've graduated to a 2015 GTL from a K1200LT via a (horrible) Honda ST1300.

Got to say, the GTL is the touring bike that all touring bikes should be. Lots of torque, but also lots of HP. There's no reason touring bikes shouldn't have power and handle well. It's the only bike I don't mind riding in the rain - good weather protection and handling that is good in the wet.

Gripes so far - the gearbox is pretty horrible. I know it has a lot of torque to deal with but I also have a Triumph Rocket III Roadster, and that has a great deal more. I think it's worse than the K1200LT gearbox. Also, the fuel filler cap jammed this morning. Got to work with a range of 12km's. Had to go and buy a torx set to refuel.

But by far the biggest problem is I haven't had time/opportunity to go on a big tour. I look at the weather and keep thinking I should be on my way to Southern Spain.

Anyway - love visiting the forum. Hope to contribute something in the near future.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife and I experienced the thrill of riding in Switzerland last year, and the good fortune to spend some time (and money) in London a couple of months ago. The BMW is certainly a fine touring bike. You might find that shifting at a higher rpm alleviates a bit of the transmission aggravation. The engine sounds very busy, but may not be turning all that fast.
I'm surprised to hear that you didn't like the ST1300. I've never ridden or owned one, but always liked the design philosophy...well, except for the double-linked brakes!

Spain sounds great right now. The temperature here is 15C, and will be down to zero celsius by tonight. A good day for some Fabada Asturiana.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised to hear that you didn't like the ST1300. I've never ridden or owned one, but always liked the design philosophy...well, except for the double-linked brakes!

Buzzy engine, continual transmission whine (the crank drives the gearbox via a straight cut gear), lack of 6th gear, lack of gear position indicator, lack of heated grips, stupid 80's arcade game dash. I never got on with it. In it's defense it has had some technical issues to be resolved, but it was a big disappointment finding out how behind the times it was when its ancestor, the ST1100, was so far ahead of its time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, at least your ST1300 had only two wheels and went forward.

Welcome to the forum. That's a very nice looking moto scooter you have now.

Switzerland huh? Sounds wonderful. As Aggie was saying, the temp here in Texas is already dropping with the wind howling and precip here and there. Makes me want some fondue and maybe a Guinness. :cheers: I'll bet you have some great fondue there in Switzerland.

Jeff

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I have just purchased a 2020 gtl myself although my bike is currently locked away in the dealers due to the gearbox issue.
I also have a k200lt that I have had for the last 14 years. The reason for getting the GTL was due to the k200lt having the usual servo failure and a big tour next year which takes in Switzerland along with Germany,Austria & a few other countries. Hope you enjoy your new bike. -1 at the moment in Scotland.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, I have just purchased a 2020 gtl myself although my bike is currently locked away in the dealers due to the gearbox issue.
I also have a k200lt that I have had for the last 14 years. The reason for getting the GTL was due to the k200lt having the usual servo failure and a big tour next year which takes in Switzerland along with Germany,Austria & a few other countries. Hope you enjoy your new bike. -1 at the moment in Scotland.

I only got rid of my K1200LT because the gearbox got stuck in second gear. I didn't have time to get it sorted.

Ping me when you're riding through Switzerland - maybe I can join you for a while.

Love it in Scotland. I have seriously thought of moving there. In compensation I drink a copious amounts of whisky to remind me of the place!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keep taking the whisky it's good for all alements in this winter weather.
2020 tour not till next June, So a while to go yet but looking forward to it. That's presuming BMW fix this gearbox issue !

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello everyone,

Gripes so far - the gearbox is pretty horrible. I know it has a lot of torque to deal with but I also have a Triumph Rocket III Roadster, and that has a great deal more. I think it's worse than the K1200LT gearbox. Also, the fuel filler cap jammed this morning. Got to work with a range of 12km's. Had to go and buy a torx set to refuel.
Let us know how it copes with the mountain passes, mine overheated 3 times this year when touring Switzerland.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know how it copes with the mountain passes, mine overheated 3 times this year when touring Switzerland.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I bought it in late August, so can't say so far. Copes ok with coming off the motorway into stationary traffic.

·
Upside Down
1,214 Posts
Kurt, First of all, welcome to the forum. I had a 2017 GTL sold that bought a 2018 Indian roadmaster that was a nice bike but really heavy at 422 kg the balance was great but with me being 74 kg trying to pull it back in some loose gravel or on a slop where you could not turn to face the right direction was a bit of an issue sometimes. Regardless I ended up buying another R1250 RT and love the smoothness of that and power compare to the other RT`s I have owned in the past but could not get comfortable on it without having back pain between the shoulders and around my neck. So after a mear 3 weeks I back traded it with a fantastic deal on a new 2019 GTL with Reverse but because of the recall on the Gearbox BMW won't release it to the dealerships til that issue is fixed. Meanwhile, my dealership loaned me an older 2012 GTL that will do until the new bike can be fixed and released. They (BMW) say between December or January next year before it can be addressed. I am ok with that as I have a bike to ride and put the klms. on that till mine comes and use the dealer's insurance. I loved my 2017 GTL So expecting that this will be like the R1250RT with its much smoother gearbox and gear changes. Looking forward to taking delivery of it. Be nice if I can get it by December as a Christmas present to my self lol.

Reactions: bikerj

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I bought it in late August, so can't say so far. Copes ok with coming off the motorway into stationary traffic.
I have had 3 K16's the only one that did not overheat was the one that I put a Rad Guard on that came from Australia. I always seemed to have a problem in Europe, the UK was fine. Going to change it to a R1250RT for next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regardless I ended up buying another R1250 RT and love the smoothness of that and power compare to the other RT`s I have owned in the past

I used to have a R1150GS Adventure (yes, I watched the long way round) and the engine on that was like a chain saw. I had no idea why people raved about boxers.

Apart from anything else, this was the only way I could get on it.

.....until the low seat option arrived (I'm 5" 6").

·
Registered
334 Posts
Kurt, First of all, welcome to the forum. I had a 2017 GTL sold that bought a 2018 Indian roadmaster that was a nice bike but really heavy at 422 kg the balance was great but with me being 74 kg trying to pull it back in some loose gravel or on a slop where you could not turn to face the right direction was a bit of an issue sometimes. Regardless I ended up buying another R1250 RT and love the smoothness of that and power compare to the other RT`s I have owned in the past but could not get comfortable on it without having back pain between the shoulders and around my neck. So after a mear 3 weeks I back traded it with a fantastic deal on a new 2019 GTL with Reverse but because of the recall on the Gearbox BMW won't release it to the dealerships til that issue is fixed. Meanwhile, my dealership loaned me an older 2012 GTL that will do until the new bike can be fixed and released. They (BMW) say between December or January next year before it can be addressed. I am ok with that as I have a bike to ride and put the klms. on that till mine comes and use the dealer's insurance. I loved my 2017 GTL So expecting that this will be like the R1250RT with its much smoother gearbox and gear changes. Looking forward to taking delivery of it. Be nice if I can get it by December as a Christmas present to my self lol.
Geoff, that's pretty neat you get to ride someone else's and put all the miles on it for the time being. I had thought about trying an RT, but I figured it wouldn't go fast enough to suit me. >:)

Jeff- with a "J" :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts