BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Managed to get away to the coast over the weekend which, from where I live involves a two fantastic mountain roads, both listed in the top Australian motorcycle roads. Coming up the Snowy Mountains Highway over Brown Mountain I had a rather scary moment.
The road was empty of traffic, it was cold but not icy, the road surface was dry and it wasn’t raining. Tipped nicely around a tight left hand bend (ok at about twice the advisory speed, 70+ kmh) I hit some evenly spaced corrugations in the tarmac. Only a few inches high, they very effectively robbed me of rear wheel traction and pushed the bike into a pretty unusual corner geometry. The rear was suddenly trying to overtake the front...
I’m still not sure how I recovered it, but I do remember actually saying ‘F#$k’. The following corner was a not so tight right hander and, apart from being a little out of position for the line I was soon back in the groove.
I’ve not seen corrugated tarmac that bad before, especially radiating out like spokes on the apex of a tight corner. Definitely scared me. I’m giving all the credit to the bikes traction control and electronic wizardry, I’m sure all I did was hold on!
This road is prone to landslides and wash aways, I wonder if that was the genesis of these corrugations.
Anyway that speed test of the Illium rear guards will have to wait a little longer :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are not many baggers out there that would have allowed you to get away with that one Donna! I've had the pleasure of riding in Australia (Alpine national park, southern ocean road), there are some great roads. Some a bit like those in the highlands of Scotland where the surface isn't always as good as it could be. Glad you survived unblemished.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Rain mode, try it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Excellent play by play. Glad your skills and machine got you through. Well done and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Donna,
So.... you were doing twice the posted speed limit?

Thats a common problem that plagues many of us.. >:)
Twice the advisory speed (in kmh) only... That’s the maximum recommend speed for that corner for boys, in ‘Rain Mode’ >:)

The posted speed limit for that part of the road is 60 kmh 0:)

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Isn't that two "B"s at the beach? Glad you didn't break a nail!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
YIKES! that definitely sounds like a pucker-inducing moment. Hmmm, that might be one more advantage of your fluffy, pink seat cover -- it hides those pointy spots on the seat after such incidents. Glad skill and luck were on your side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts