BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am new to the bike and was excited that it had bike BT connection for the helmet to play the radio/XM and MP3s via the USB port. It worked well, for a few times, but I now come to expect it not to work and be more aggravation than it's worth. I thought the USB audio was going to be the best solution, but even that the audio "skips"...Has this always been the case or did BT outgrow the bike and made it incompatible/buggy? If it's always been this bad, why hasn't there been a recall or class-action lawsuit? Has BMW tried to fix the issue, if so, what is it?

At this point I have decided to forget the whole thing. I am now using the Nav VI to put all my music on a SD Card...I can still forward/back the songs via the wonder wheel, though it is more of a chore to do. The feature I was most excited about was the ability to easily switch songs without looking...I guess I still have that but the promise of a easy to use (and usable) media system is dead.

I just can't believe a big company like BMW can't figure this out...especially at this price point of these bikes. I think I would have bought this bike knowing this but it would have given me pause, or at least not be so disappointed. God I wish Honda would have replaced the ST1300 with a modern version, somewhere below the Goldwing, that competes in the same space as the BMW GT. I think BMW was smart making the same platform to compete in the Lux-Tourer and Lux-Sport Tour space. Again, I wish Honda got back in the game...the FJR/Concours were, for me, not contenders. A converted sport bike does not make a sport-tourer, IMO, they need to be purpose built. Good job on BMW for doing that.

If there is an actual FIX, please let me know!

Anyway...still loving the K bike...just disappointed in this one area.

Off the BT subject, I put it on dynamic yesterday coming home form work...GOD it changes the bike...I thought I was on a plane on takeoff...WOW :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe I missed it in your post. What device are you plugging it to the USB for your audio source? The one that is skipping. I have not experienced that.

Zach

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I never had reliable operation pairing a helmet other than the BMW communicator with the bike. The bike is connected to the NAV unit and there is a Bluetooth connection in the nav as you know.

To get music to the bike I use the cheap Amazon Bluetooth receiver plugged into the right front storage compartment on the USB cable. I can control the music with the handle bar wheel without baking my phone.

I personally use a wired helmet connection to the bike but one would think the nav to helmet would also work...it’s been a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I’ve had no issues pairing a Sena 20S or 30K (both with latest firmware) to the bike’s Bluetooth. However, I did find that with a passenger on board that the bike’s Bluetooth antenna gets blocked some how and causes audio dropouts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve had no issues pairing a Sena 20S or 30K (both with latest firmware) to the bike’s Bluetooth. However, I did find that with a passenger on board that the bike’s Bluetooth antenna gets blocked some how and causes audio dropouts.
I've got Schuberth SC1A. But got the same thing with my old Schuberth SRCs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I run a PacTalk Bold and my Bluetooth works fantastic.
I pair everything thru the Nav 6 when using the USB on the Bike the WW controls everything and feeds the Bluetooth.

Do a search under Bluetooth you might have something interfaced wrong there are many threads riddled with errors.

Ian

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Gotta bypass the BMW Bluetooth output. In my experience its fidelity is horrible, and that's an understatement. I came from the old school where we spliced in b4 the BMW BT and used another source BT transmitter. Using the Sena SM10 I can pair audio via BT to the BMW SC1 and pair the NavV to the cell phone and the NavV to the SM10. Audio fidelity is good (considering it's not going to be audiophile quality on a bike). There are several ways to make it happen, and I hope you find your path. Lots of info out here so dig in if you're so inclined. If you're like me, acceptable music quality when tooling down the slab is nice to have.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Bluetooth can be confusing, especially when you have multiple sources to choose from. In a representative case, take me; I have two phones, a GPS and the motorcycle itself - all of these could be sources of a Bluetooth stream. My headset is my sink or the target of my stream. If I had a pillion, that would be a second sink for the connection.

I could configure my connections out in different ways; for example, I can connect the bike to the GPS, and then GPS to the helmet. In this case, the GPS is "the hub of the wheel" or the source for all (bike and GPS) connections.

I can also connect the GPS to the helmet, then my phone also to the helmet. This makes the helmet the 'sink' of two sources.

Because of some technical constraints Garmin had with earlier GPS models the music coming out of a Garmin sucked so I would pair my phones in a multi-source approach I described.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
So I am new to the bike and was excited that it had bike BT connection for the helmet to play the radio/XM and MP3s via the USB port. It worked well, for a few times, but I now come to expect it not to work and be more aggravation than it's worth. I thought the USB audio was going to be the best solution, but even that the audio "skips"...Has this always been the case or did BT outgrow the bike and made it incompatible/buggy? If it's always been this bad, why hasn't there been a recall or class-action lawsuit? Has BMW tried to fix the issue, if so, what is it?

At this point I have decided to forget the whole thing. I am now using the Nav VI to put all my music on a SD Card...I can still forward/back the songs via the wonder wheel, though it is more of a chore to do. The feature I was most excited about was the ability to easily switch songs without looking...I guess I still have that but the promise of a easy to use (and usable) media system is dead.

I just can't believe a big company like BMW can't figure this out...especially at this price point of these bikes. I think I would have bought this bike knowing this but it would have given me pause, or at least not be so disappointed. God I wish Honda would have replaced the ST1300 with a modern version, somewhere below the Goldwing, that competes in the same space as the BMW GT. I think BMW was smart making the same platform to compete in the Lux-Tourer and Lux-Sport Tour space. Again, I wish Honda got back in the game...the FJR/Concours were, for me, not contenders. A converted sport bike does not make a sport-tourer, IMO, they need to be purpose built. Good job on BMW for doing that.

If there is an actual FIX, please let me know!

Anyway...still loving the K bike...just disappointed in this one area.

Off the BT subject, I put it on dynamic yesterday coming home form work...GOD it changes the bike...I thought I was on a plane on takeoff...WOW :)

Despite what some have posted it's NOT your imagination the BT on BMW bikes is awful, and you're right there is no excuse. People here and else where literally spend thousands of dollars and hours to by pass the BMW BT. The sound quality especially the cirrus XM is horrendous. At one point I purchased a wiring harness that tapped into the amp outputs and ran it up to a 3.5mm female plug to hardwire the sound system to my helmet. The current BT is ok for voice direction, even a phone call, but the sound quality of music is horrendous. Here's one riders solution

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Yup. What @Northsquad is showing is the Sena hub becomes the source to the Sena 20C. This has the advantage of being hard-wired simple, with one source point. You are removing options to create this simplicity though. If I had a two-way radio to worry about, I would likely use this hub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I should start with what I THINK I want for a BT setup
1. Bike Radio/XM/USB Music controlled via the WW
2. Nav VI audio directions
3. Use the WW to change songs (and stations for Radio/XM)
4. Phone calls to the helmet
5. Helmet to helmet talk

What I think needs to be connected:
Bike > Helmet.
Helmet > Nav. Is the Bike to Nav hard wired? If so, do I need this? Does the Nav audio go to the bike...then to my bike connected helmet?
Helmet to Helmet.
Helmet (or Nav) to Phone. I have it Nav to phone now

Another possible issue is the MP3s themselves...is there a min/max bit rate of other technical compatibility that is causing issues? I can't remember clearly, but I may have has the "digital skip/garble" issue with XM as well.

I like to see who is calling on the Nav, but haven't figured how to answer using the WW...right now I have to use VOX, push a helmet button or touch the NAV screen. I guess that works, but if I can use the WW that be ideal so may hands stay on the bars instead of fiddling around.

I'd like to not retrofit the bike and spend money to "fix" it. if I can come to a good solution with what I have, so it works, I'd be good with that.

CJ

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Helmet to helmet is another connection profile and is a parallel effort. Wonder Wheel actions are made possible via the cradle connection and are not a factor in Bluetooth.

From the description you have, the GPS audio is wired into the bike via the cradle, so all you need to pair the bike to the headset. Now you have one additional option - the phone. Do you ride another bike? Or use the phone/helmet elsewhere other than this bike?

You can connect the phone directly to the helmet as a second source, or to the GPS as a headset profile to patch calls via the GPS to the bike audio - which your headset is already connected to.

The guiding question for your phone is whether you keep music on it too. Patched via the GPS, the music stored on your phone will be affected in quality because of the HSP profile between a phone/GPS connection.

You see, easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I can use the USB media on the bike I'd prefer that and not the phone media as I can't (i think) control the music via the WW. If the audio is better one one or the other may be a factor in choice. I keep the phone in a bag or the trunk.

So if I read it correctly:
Bike to headset (if I want to use any of the media options)
NAV to bike (already connected hardwired?)
Phone to Nav
helmet to helmet

Any issues with MP3 compatibility?

Thank for the advice!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Maybe I should start with what I THINK I want for a BT setup

1. Bike Radio/XM/USB Music controlled via the WW
2. Nav VI audio directions
3. Use the WW to change songs (and stations for Radio/XM)
4. Phone calls to the helmet
5. Helmet to helmet talk
In order to get what you want, you’ll have to do something similar in what the video posted above shows. I did this and it works well for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Despite what some have posted it's NOT your imagination the BT on BMW bikes is awful, and you're right there is no excuse. People here and else where literally spend thousands of dollars and hours to by pass the BMW BT. The sound quality especially the cirrus XM is horrendous. At one point I purchased a wiring harness that tapped into the amp outputs and ran it up to a 3.5mm female plug to hardwire the sound system to my helmet. The current BT is ok for voice direction, even a phone call, but the sound quality of music is horrendous. Here's one riders solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQx-dSW37g
Yeah...not something I'm willing to do. If I have to use my Nav as the hub, so be it.

Any more suggestions that doesn't require redesigning the bike BT system?

Appreciate the advise!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm coming from a 2012 with Nav V to a 2018 with Nav VI. On my old bike, I paired the Pack Talk Bold to my phone for music and phone calls, and to the Nav V for navigation. I have other bikes, so I'd like to keep the ability to answer the phone and listen to music on them. Is there a better solution now that will let me use the WW with the phone and Nav VI? Would I be better off buying a second module for my other bikes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts