BMW K1600 Forum banner

"Busting the Engine Break in Myth"

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  1004ron 
#1 ·
Interesting video for break-in hard vs soft.

#2 ·
Good video. It's hard to argue with the rigor performed in his testing, and I won't. :)

With respect to K16s, I'm not surprised by the results. Many here report zero oil consumption after an easy break-in, while others have consumption using more extreme methods like the Motoman procedure. And visa-versa. It shows that when it comes to oil consumption, there is something else in play besides break-in method.

#3 ·
I've done it both ways with no adverse issues. It was fun to drag race Steve the first night that we had our 2012 K1600 bikes. Like that Dodge commercial a few years back where brothers couldn't help themselves and just "had to" race each other. That night I think his GT won. On a later date my GTL won. We haven't done that for a few years. I think it's time to do it again.

#6 ·
After several motorcycles and autos using my Owners Manual compliant version of Motoman break-in and I'm pleased to report no oil use warranting adding any oil between changes. In fact, I don't see any reduction on dipsticks beyond what one would expect from normal oil volatility, nearly zero.

There was a discussion about auto, the same with BMW motorcycles, and the 1 quart every 1,000 miles being the standard, on the auto radio program today. More than a quart and it may be a warranty claim, below that and it is considered normal. If I had any vehicle that used even a fraction of that amount of oil, it would be traded in.

My experience with a focused ring seating program has yielded a happy result in far too many vehicles to be considered anything other than lottery winning luck, or actually a good way to break in any gasoline engine.

#8 ·
Engine 1, “By The Book Break-In”
Top Ring End Gap: 0.0130” at install, 0.0145” after 1,000 miles

Engine 2, “Brutal Break-In”
Top Ring End Gap: 0.0130” at install, 0.0150” after 1,000 miles

Little more ring wear on the "Brutal".

Does BMW use a specific break-in oil for the first 600 mi, or is it regular oil?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.