BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm a newbie to BMW/K1600 (thanks in advance for your patience). I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Nav VI (with a new K1600) or just use my iPhone for navigation and music.

I've read through a number of posts in this forum. I'm leaning toward using my iPhone because it feels like spending ~$1000 is a lot that I could spend on other farkles. But, maybe I am missing something because I don't know what I don't know :)

Any input is appreciated. This is what I've figure out so far:

Reasons to just use iPhone:
-Maps always up to date
-Google Maps or Waze have good traffic updates and re-routing
-I am used to using Google Maps and Waze already
-SiriusXM now has an iPhone app (I pay for this already because I have a plan for my car)
-I can use the Scenic app to plan routes
-I can connect directly to phone via helmet bluetooth to listen to music and control navigation through Siri commands

Reasons to buy Nav VI:
-Line of sight to navigation on the bike is better, potentially, than iPhone placement on bars
-Don't have to worry about overheating of iPhone (some have had this experience)
-Nav VI doesn't rely on mobile network connection for graphical maps if I am in remote areas (maybe I could download maps to iPhone, not sure)
-I don't have to connect power to the Nav VI (whereas, with my iPhone, I would need to run a charger cord to it for long trips)

What I don't understand if I go with iPhone only:
-If I connect directly to my iPhone with helmet bluetooth, is there any reason to connect to the BMW system without the Nav VI?
-For the K1600B, where do I run power from to an iPhone that I mount on the bars? Use a powerlet from the pre-installed port?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
You are forgetting the single most important consideration - cell signal. Where you ride, do you always have a cell signal? Many of us do not.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I run power from powerlet on dash to usb power device velcro wrapped and secured to Ramball arm and a Belkin cable from usb to phone on x-mount. And if not using Nav on bike, no sense in pairing to bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are forgetting the single most important consideration - cell signal. Where you ride, do you always have a cell signal? Many of us do not.
Great point. I don’t always have a cell signal. Could I download the Google Map to my phone for the areas I will ride, then revert to that downloaded map when losing a cell signal? (I think an iPhone will use gps with no cell signal, it just can’t render the visual maps without the cell signal, so the download of the map would provide the visual of the map, and the gps location would appear on the downloaded map). Maybe that’s too complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Not at all complicated. I have two cell phones mounted, plus the Nav 6. Both smartphones have an off-line navigation app (I use Sygic and Earthmate) for a total of three GPSs and paper back up. I always know where I am.

I bought the Nav 6 last, and only because I got it new for under $600. The cell phones are my current one, plus my last one which is dedicated to the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Sure, you can download maps to your iPhone. But what are you going to do when you ride an area that you "thought" had cell coverage and all of a sudden you find out it doesn't... Spend the money, buy the NAV VI. My .02. You can get the NAV VI for around $700 from a vendor on the forum.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Hi - I'm a newbie to BMW/K1600 (thanks in advance for your patience). I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Nav VI (with a new K1600) or just use my iPhone for navigation and music.

I've read through a number of posts in this forum. I'm leaning toward using my iPhone because it feels like spending ~$1000 is a lot that I could spend on other farkles. But, maybe I am missing something because I don't know what I don't know :)

-Maps always up to date
-SiriusXM now has an iPhone app (I pay for this already because I have a plan for my car)
-I can connect directly to phone via helmet bluetooth to listen to music and control navigation through Siri commands

Reasons to buy Nav VI:
-Line of sight to navigation on the bike is better, potentially, than iPhone placement on bars
-Don't have to worry about overheating of iPhone (some have had this experience)
-Nav VI doesn't rely on mobile network connection for graphical maps if I am in remote areas (maybe I could download maps to iPhone, not sure)
-I don't have to connect power to the Nav VI (whereas, with my iPhone, I would need to run a charger cord to it for long trips)

-If I connect directly to my iPhone with helmet bluetooth, is there any reason to connect to the BMW system without the Nav VI?
-For the K1600B, where do I run power from to an iPhone that I mount on the bars? Use a powerlet from the pre-installed port?

Thanks everyone!
Reasons to use the iPhone. (additional)
- voice commands not just through siri but for waze, integrates seamlessly with cardo packtalk bold/slim
- also the ability to share route updates, pictures, etc on the fly
- iphone (or other) does not rely on cell phone networks for offline maps and google maps, waze, and of course Scenic support offline maps

Reasons to use the NAV xx (additional)
- Resell value. As useless as it would be to me, the vast majority of people are still going to expect some kind of NAV system integrated onto the bike. If you plan on reselling at some point it will be one of those items that gets compared
- you need something to take up the blank space in your dash

How you should mount your iphone.

Get a center mount adapter (aka ram ball mount) from @Arizona Jim . Pick the ram ball extender of your choice, you can choose any length you feel comfortable with. Use a quadlock or an X-mount (or your favorite ram ball compatible mount). This puts the device closer to you and is easier to read. Have a plus sized phone... even better.

How you should use your phone

Get a cardo packtalk bold. Use voice commands, enjoy riding without ever taking your hands off of the bars

I run power from under my seat to the bar and from there to the ram ball mount (one cable). It charges the phone at high current and I have never had an issue with the charger or the phone this way. I have an SAE adapter that runs from the battery to the left side of the bike that I typically have connected to a battery tender. Before I take off, I disconnect the battery tender and connect the USB charger. The USB charger is connected to a heavy duty USB cable that runs under the plastic and up to the bar. I bought three of them and still have two left in my box of unused 1600 farkles.

Pictures of phone mount.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here’s my take...you’re spending close to $30k on a bike. The Nav system will be no more than two more payments. If you go places that have no cell coverage, or spotty coverage...out west, mountains, etc. and you need a hospital, how are you going to find it? Also, convenience. You don’t have to load maps in your phone, just turn on the Nav and go. How many times have I been on a ride, seen an interesting road, take it...ride for a while, see another road, take that, etc. With a Nav you can never get lost.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I hardly ever use Nav but I like the data. I can keep an eye on water temp in the summer and air temp in the winter thumbnail_IMG_3.jpg .

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Why do people keep posting about cell coverage when most nav apps DO NOT NEED cell access?
I'm no wizard only anything electronic although I'm proficient with a GPS unit. I know you can use your iPhone GPS but don't you have to download the 'area' ahead of time? And isn't the 'area' very limited? And, what do you do when you loose cell coverage unexpectedly?

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I'm no wizard only anything electronic although I'm proficient with a GPS unit. I know you can use your iPhone GPS but don't you have to download the 'area' ahead of time? And isn't the 'area' very limited? And, what do you do when you loose cell coverage unexpectedly?

Duane
Yes, you have to download the maps, the process is similar to a dedicated nav unit, if you can figure out the dedicated Garmin apps you can figure out the phone apps and how to update maps. The map area or detail is not in any way limited, you can start with the equivalent of Garmin NA map and when you add detailed maps you just get a lot more detail and modern phones have a ton more storage.

The GPS function of a cell phone is completely independent of the cellular function. That has been true for about 8-10 years now. Cell phones originally used A-GPS (tower assisted) but that is no longer the case, they now have fully independent GPS systems just like the dedicated units. I have ridden in many places without cell service with no issues and have even used the phone on my snowmobile in areas where cell service will probably never exist.

Moving to the phone has a ton of benefits, voice control being the biggest one but not the only one. Being able to share routes with everyone, being able to send updates easily, route planning and changes on the fly, etc... all of the things you can do with dedicated nav units but easier, not requiring a computer, and you get a bunch of new features. I like the fact that I now have one solution (the phone) which moves between vehicles seamlessly and that I can take anywhere.

I will reiterate that someone looking at a used older bike will be comparing options including any nav unit so there is a resale value consideration when comparing the two. Also you cannot control the phone from the WW without the Wunderlinq from Blackbox embedded and that doesn't work on older bikes (pre-2017). Having said that, I took the nav unit out to install the wunderlinq when I was testing for them about a year ago and after they figured out the problem with pre-2017 bikes I took wunderlinq out and put the dash plate back in. I don't miss the nav unit at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You might want to consider this info posted on the MOA forum before you go too far. Also, Garmin has just released their Zumo XT model.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts

-Maps always up to date

Reasons to buy Nav VI:

Thanks everyone!
Biggest reason to use a GPS, unless you're underground, you always have a GPS signal. There are large areas in the US that still don't have cellular service. So, you iPhone won't provide you mapping capbilities without the cell towers and service!!

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
The GPS function of a cell phone is completely independent of the cellular function. That has been true for about 8-10 years now. Cell phones originally used A-GPS (tower assisted) but that is no longer the case, they now have fully independent GPS systems just like the dedicated units.
I did not realize this. I was not aware of the change. I did not know a GPS antenna would fit in my phone. I’m one of those who would have advocated for dedicated GPS over phone. I utilize both on longer rides as I can touch my phone and search for nearby and have my overall trip on the GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Biggest reason to use a GPS, unless you're underground, you always have a GPS signal. There are large areas in the US that still don't have cellular service. So, you iPhone won't provide you mapping capbilities without the cell towers and service!!
GPS in cell phones works exactly like the GPS in your dedicated NAV unit, no cellular service required. Its been that way for years.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
GPS in cell phones works exactly like the GPS in your dedicated NAV unit, no cellular service required. Its been that way for years.
Yep, I had to Google it to verify. You are correct. They get 4 satellites for their location triangulation and if unavailable then they rely on Assisted GPS using the cell towers and wi-fi

Thanks! Learned something new today!!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Yep, I had to Google it to verify. You are correct. They get 4 satellites for their location triangulation and if unavailable then they rely on Assisted GPS using the cell towers and wi-fi

Thanks! Learned something new today!!
Caution, small, insignificant and most likely pedantic correction. :) The phone will lean on A-GPS (assisted GPS) for the quick positional fix. IF you are using a GPS application it will turn on the GPS receiver and get a more accurate fix. To do that it must have a view to at least 4 satellites but it will happily use more than 4 satellites if they are available. This is why the phone often starts with your initial position in some weird location and then corrects itself. The reality is that our road data is not very accurate either and the GPS software (on phones and dedicated nav) must constantly correct for inaccuracies based on its perception of the world, the data at hand (maps) and its own history (where was it a second ago). All of this is run through some filtering algorithms to give the software equivalent of a good enough guess. (they all work this way, not just phones).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts