1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Oh boy, here they come...

·
Registered
122 Posts
That about sums it up for our American icon, but to each their own. I do think everyone on this forum has one thing in common we all like riding a motorcycle, and yes we pretty much all have different opinions on tires, oil, seats, helmets and on and on. I have two BMW bikes a GA and a GA my choices, I don't hate Harley's or anyone that rides one but I have heard this phrase more than once about my Euro Trash bikes that I ride. I do think that is jealous rearing it's ugly head.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That about sums it up for our American icon, but to each their own. I do think everyone on this forum has one thing in common we all like riding a motorcycle, and yes we pretty much all have different opinions on tires, oil, seats, helmets and on and on.

I don't really disagree with you except I think everyone should be using synthetic Turn Signal Fluids. I don't know why anyone would use petroleum based Turn Signal Fluids, it just doesn't make sense since this is a fluid change that often gets neglected and goes beyond OEM recommendations.

https://santasperfect.gifts/blinker-fluid-synthetic-blend.html?category_id=11
https://www.ebay.com/i/283437781580?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=283437781580&targetid=474173466669&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1023092&poi=&campaignid=6469980873&mkgroupid=78329391060&rlsatarget=pla-474173466669&abcId=1141186&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcFJOxhdnaYQDSIx_pQ3I6_m1nG-7VHVpFoNU5WFoxV5fjQSp_saGnBoC53UQAvD_BwE
:wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I still enjoy My 2018 HD Road Glide Special its not going any where my 2018 GA is Great too but so is my Triumph Tiger 1050 and some folks don't like that either.... had on 07 Tiger 1050 sold it and regretted it 9 years later found a nice 09 special addition and bought it ..... great little adventure bike for me ( very little dirt ridding )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haters are gonna hate! Harley is not just an American icon but an international icon, with dealerships all over the world.

Coming from a Harley (forums), I've heard many more complaints (B&M), on this forum than most Harley forums, which is reflected in motorcycle customer satisfaction surveys.

All bikes have their issues and appeal to various styles of riding and appreciation of aesthetics, and performance levels.

The opinions that really count are where people are willing to put their hard earned dollars. Fewer sales translates to fewer dealerships, price also consdered.

I love my K1600B, but I still love Harley as well. It's all good!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Haters are gonna hate! Harley is not just an American icon but an international icon, with dealerships all over the world.

Coming from a Harley (forums), I've heard many more complaints (B&M), on this forum than most Harley forums, which is reflected in motorcycle customer satisfaction surveys.

All bikes have their issues and appeal to various styles of riding and appreciation of aesthetics, and performance levels.

The opinions that really count are where people are willing to put their hard earned dollars. Fewer sales translates to fewer dealerships, price also consdered.

I love my K1600B, but I still love Harley as well. It's all good!
Don't disagree with you. Simply accept the fact that a Harley is what it is. Rode them for 28 years. I'd own a Harley along with my B if I could afford both. Prefer the B as my only bike. Because it's spoiled me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't disagree with you. Simply accept the fact that a Harley is what it is. Rode them for 28 years. I'd own a Harley along with my B if I could afford both. Prefer the B as my only bike. Because it's spoiled me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Exactly. A Harley ain't a BMW or a Goldwing or any other kind of bike.....it's a nostalgic air-cooled V-twin with enough of a customer base to make them popular. That video was just a cheap shot by a Harley hater. I've been to every major rally (Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, Americade, Myrtle Beach) and never seen or been in a drunken brawl. The springer front end is an updated, modern version of a similar suspension offered in the 40's. The Hells Angels tend to wear full face helmets these days so as not to be photographed by Law Enforcement, not doo-rags. I wonder if Zion HD gave it's permission to be used in the video. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but please keep your negative comments to yourself.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Everybody has different tastes, riding types and styles it's not a one size fits all when it comes to bikes. If I see a Harley (or any other bike) on the side of the road I'm going to stop and see if they need help. The only person that has to like my bike is ME, and the only person that has to like any other bike is the ones riding there's.

I've had a couple really good experience's with Harley guys on the side of the freeway. Once I was stopped under an overpass trying to get the stupid Cardo I had at the time back up. A very loud straight piped bobber with a tated up dude pulls up to make sure I'm okay. Told him yes and thanks for checking, off he went.

Another time I was riding down Hwy 50 home and see a Harley and a car on the side of the highway. I stop, dude says "thank's man were all good, and thank's for checking ride safe brother".

When my Cousin who is a hard core Harley guy (like my Dad) found out I bought a BMW he didn't have too much to say. When he finally saw it last week and sat on it he started asking a lot of questions. Then say's "that's a nice bike". Both him and my father will probably never own anything but a Harley, BUT they both now have respect and some level of appreciation for it.

It's all good, at the end of the day we are all people who ride. If I could I'd have my B, a GT and a GS or Triumph ADV, and a Ducati or 1000RR.

The vid was funny though! I'm sure someone could make the same video but about BMW riders.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
First Amendment states that you have the right to freedom of speech.
It's not always the smart thing to use that right but none the less, it's his right.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't hate the Motor Company, though I'd admit that I'm not happy with many of the people who ride their products who have dictated how the Motor Company should design their bikes (e.g. air cooled, v-twin, driveway eye candy) holding them back from moving forward. I've heard more then one established H-D owner say they would not own a new one because they where too complicated and couldn't work on it. When I asked they where referring to they mentioned fuel injection, electronics... that sort of thing. These particular riders I was talking to had open pipes, various stage engine kits, and other less then neighborhood friendly attributes to their bikes. We all know that when left stock the Harley's are reliable and perform adequately to get the job done.

Thankfully a sizeable part of the Motor Company's income is from their accessory catalogue which has helped keep them in business. But until relatively recently H-D ignored or set aside the idea of bringing in a new generation of riders, and catered to their established customers. Previous attempts to bring a different demographic of riders with products like the V-Rod and Buell were dropped. I've been told from several that the dealers wouldn't service these bikes because their traditional customers were spending their money on parts and service for their traditional V-Twins which created a higher profit margin and more money in the dealer's pockets. This is only a small part but important reason these products were eventually dropped. Unless the Motor Company forces the dealers to pay attention to ALL their products they're going to eventually be doomed.

You have to admire the Motor Company's marketing, how many brands of any product would get someone to tattoo someone else's family name on their body? It is also this mentality that has harmed their ability to move forward into next-gen products.

Live Wire is intriguing and a step into a more diverse world. I am intrigued by the Pan America and look forward to seeing if they're on track to compete with the rest of the adventure market. But for the most part I mostly see their bikes in disappear in my mirrors and am grateful for in-ear monitors with music being piped in so I don't have to listen to these rolling jack hammers going down the street.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
First Amendment states that you have the right to freedom of speech.
It's not always the smart thing to use that right but none the less, it's his right.
As Ron White said, in a drunken state, "I had the right to remain silent....but not the ability."

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I came of age in the late 70s, early 80s. And I rode Japanese manufactured bikes. The HD crowd referred to them derogatorily as "rice burners". We didn't care so much and adopted it and made it our own so it didn't sting as much as it was intended to. When I rode down the road, every other make of bike (mostly 'wings) would hand gesture or wave. But 1 in a 100 HD riders would recognize a fellow motorcycle enthusiast on any other brand than HD. Now, being a bit of a problem youth, I hung out at keggers and band parties with plenty of HD guys. And they were as sweet and kind as any other beer drinker at those types of soirees. So individually, like in most circumstances, they didn't have attitude toward any other bike riding individuals. But the group think mentality common to us all, affected them to identify with their tribe of HD pirates and look down on the other tribes of other-than-HD riders. And it was palpable. And frankly, I got tired of it. Eff some of those guys. I didn't appreciate their condescension. Still don't. I don't know the ratio, but sooo many of the guys riding want to ID with the 1%ers. So a LOT of them are just posers. A minority fraction are guys who just like the comfort and ride of the glide etc. One on one, as individuals, I get along with them as they do with me. I ride with some on occasion. But there is some truth in the stereotypes played up in the video. And I'm guilty of some of the BMW stereotypes as well. And would be if I rode a 'wing. Or adventure bike. Or scrambler. As consumers some of the basis of purchase is identifying with the brand. The good, and the not so good. It's just a video poking fun at some of the stereotypes many folks outside of HD find absurd. They are some of the reasons we don't make that purchase and don't want to be identified with that brand. They outnumber all other bikes on the road combined if I'm not mistaken. If the ribbing is annoying to folks, I suggest that perhaps too much of their personal ID is wrapped up in the branding. I hope HD thrives and overcomes its challenges well into the future. My heart still bumps when I hear that exhaust thump like it did when I was a little kid. A gorgeous HD makes me feel nostalgic. I have respect in my heart. But there has also been a slight turning in the tide. Dad told me, if you can't take it, don't dish it out. The leather vest ought to deflect some of the barbs.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
That video was just a cheap shot by a Harley hater.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, but please keep your negative comments to yourself.
The first statement is incorrect. Actually, that guy is a guy who gave H-D his money for a Buell he loves, and thinks they gave Erik Buell the shaft. So does he have an axe to grind? Yes, he does, and he's admitted it. But it’s not the axe you think.

The second sentence is commonly expressed among H-D riders, but you just don’t see owners of other brands get angry or defensive very often, no matter how much they love the brand or their motorcycle. I love my bike and I love BMW (and Yamaha, for that matter), and I couldn’t care less if someone insults either. I laugh at jokes with stereotypes of BMW riders. If a burly H-D dude calls my FZ-09 a “rice-burner,” who cares?

If riders of other brands can take a joke, why can’t H-D riders? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I came of age in the late 70s, early 80s. And I rode Japanese manufactured bikes. The HD crowd referred to them derogatorily as "rice burners". We didn't care so much and adopted it and made it our own so it didn't sting as much as it was intended to. When I rode down the road, every other make of bike (mostly 'wings) would hand gesture or wave. But 1 in a 100 HD riders would recognize a fellow motorcycle enthusiast on any other brand than HD. Now, being a bit of a problem youth, I hung out at keggers and band parties with plenty of HD guys. And they were as sweet and kind as any other beer drinker at those types of soirees. So individually, like in most circumstances, they didn't have attitude toward any other bike riding individuals. But the group think mentality common to us all, affected them to identify with their tribe of HD pirates and look down on the other tribes of other-than-HD riders. And it was palpable. And frankly, I got tired of it. Eff some of those guys. I didn't appreciate their condescension. Still don't. I don't know the ratio, but sooo many of the guys riding want to ID with the 1%ers. So a LOT of them are just posers. A minority fraction are guys who just like the comfort and ride of the glide etc. One on one, as individuals, I get along with them as they do with me. I ride with some on occasion. But there is some truth in the stereotypes played up in the video. And I'm guilty of some of the BMW stereotypes as well. And would be if I rode a 'wing. Or adventure bike. Or scrambler. As consumers some of the basis of purchase is identifying with the brand. The good, and the not so good. It's just a video poking fun at some of the stereotypes many folks outside of HD find absurd. They are some of the reasons we don't make that purchase and don't want to be identified with that brand. They outnumber all other bikes on the road combined if I'm not mistaken. If the ribbing is annoying to folks, I suggest that perhaps too much of their personal ID is wrapped up in the branding. I hope HD thrives and overcomes its challenges well into the future. My heart still bumps when I hear that exhaust thump like it did when I was a little kid. A gorgeous HD makes me feel nostalgic. I have respect in my heart. But there has also been a slight turning in the tide. Dad told me, if you can't take it, don't dish it out. The leather vest ought to deflect some of the barbs.
Nailed it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts