BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People that have cut a Cal-Sci style hole in their stock windshield (or have an actual Cal-Sci windscreen) can you share your experiences? What exactly does the hole do? How does it improve the ride? If you cut your own hole, what size hole did you cut, and how did you do it?

I’m thinking of adding a 2.5” hole to the stock windscreen on my 2018 GTL to try to reduce buffeting and noise around my head, but I’m afraid it will also reduce the wind and cold weather protection, and increase the airflow reaching me. I usually ride with an open face half helmet, and I like being able to lower the screen and get some wind in my face in hot weather, but when it’s cold I’m looking for a nice clean pocket of still air for me and occasionally a passenger.

Any feedback, positive or negative, much appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My shield has a flag that can open or close. Open it helps with buffeting quite a bit. I only close it if heavy rain or extreme cold bc I’m usually not going as fast in either condition

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I tried the Cal-Sci and it didn't work for me for a number of reasons. I ran with it for 2-3 days of riding and then I sold it. It did solve the back pressure and buffeting problems, but it caused others. One of the issues was the blast of air coming through that hole when I had the screen high enough to give my wife decent protection on the back. It hit me in the upper chest/neck area.To get her covered to her satisfaction, I had to look through the top of the screen. I didn't like that. It also has a bad glare/reflection off my bike that was really distracting. That would be highly dependent on screen position, rider height, etc. The screen was just not as clear as the stock screen either. It had a mildly milky look to it compared to the stock screen.

I now have a Wunderlich screen that also has a similar hole, but positioned lower than the Cal-Sci. Optically, it is a much better screen and I'm really happy with it. It solves the backpressue issues and doesn't cause any of the issues I experienced with the Cal-Sci. They no longer sell the one I have....it produced a whistling noise for some. The newer Wunderlich touring screens achieve a similar benefit as the hole by having a larger gap at the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am a little surprised no one has tried this yet.

As for the CalSci hole, a lot of air comes thru there, and basically follows and hugs the windscreen up, which I assume is to push the air coming over the top of the screen over my head. As stated above, that somehow removes the back pressure and allows one to look over the top without feeling the air in the face. It even pushes bugs and light rain over your head.

As for cutting a hole, you can use the windshield screw covers to get an idea of the size and placement of the hole in the attached pic. CalSci's website even gives you info on how to cut the hole.

Cutting a hole like CalSci in the stock? Worst case, you still have crappy windshield. Best case, it works and saves $$$ on the CalSci.

Hole.jpg

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I had a Cal-Sci on my ST and now have a large Cal-Sci on the GTL for fall and spring riding. Tried 5 different windshields before the Cal-Sci on the GTL. Cal-Sci has been the best for us.

I did cut a Cal-Sci hole in my stock screen. Works very well. I bought a extra shield before I tried this just in case it went wrong. Running the stock and then the modified back to back really demonstrates the difference the hole makes. I made the hole about 20% smaller on the stock screen to adjust for the smaller area.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You guys in the USA have a wider choice than we do here in Oz but I used a smaller wider flip screen by Brian Wrecks on my Roadmaster and it was fantastic. However, I don't think he makes them for the BMW to date. If he does I would be very interested in buying one once all the borders are open and trade restarts.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - I cut a 2.5” hole in the stock screen, and I did notice some differences. Buffeting seems to be reduced, but not eliminated. Seems like quite a bit more wind in my face with an open face half helmet instead of the quiet pocket of still air I was looking for.

I also got caught in a quick rainstorm (rare here in Vegas), and water was blowing right through the hole and smacking me in the face. I had to cover the hole with my hand till I could pull over. I’m going to try the shield again when it warms up - it might make a good summer windscreen, but for cold weather it’s definitely not what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have cut triangular holes in my GT shield and on my previous FJR shield. Big help on both bikes for me. The best though was the clip on lip from Puig.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
There is member on this forum that cut a cal sci hole in my stock windshield and it worked great. I sent it to him, he cut it, I paid for return shipping.
Can't remember who it was at this time.

I think it was Vandaldog?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Update - I cut a 2.5” hole in the stock screen, and I did notice some differences. Buffeting seems to be reduced, but not eliminated. Seems like quite a bit more wind in my face with an open face half helmet instead of the quiet pocket of still air I was looking for.

I also got caught in a quick rainstorm (rare here in Vegas), and water was blowing right through the hole and smacking me in the face. I had to cover the hole with my hand till I could pull over. I’m going to try the shield again when it warms up - it might make a good summer windscreen, but for cold weather it’s definitely not what I’m looking for.
Its not just the hole, it is where the hole is located and its shape. The naca duct shape of the Cal Sci hole creates a clean wedge of air that hits the top of the helmet. You can clearly feel the demarcation between the air coming through the duct and the air behind the shield. As far as rain goes, you will get rain but it will typically hit you high on the helmet and really its actually better than just rain soaked air coming over the windshield. I have ridden in moderate rainstorms without issue. Yes, I get a bit wetter but not so much that I would change out the windshield or plug the hole (if that was even an option).

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It was Vandaldog
You talkin' to me?

The hole works and, as I've stated before, I prefer the stock polycarbonate screen as opposed to Cal-Sci's acrylic. A few months ago we reorganized my shop and I told my guys to throw away any old jigs that they didn't know the purpose of -- DOH! I do have a .pdf drawing that's to scale and uses the windshield mounting holes for reference. If anybody would like a copy of it, send me a PM and I'll shoot it to you.

Here's the stock shield with the Cal-Sci hole in it:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
The hole in the Gold Wing windshield has a louver mounted in it...I can open or close it. Was on there when I bought it a few years ago...I have pretty much kept it open in the summer and closed during the colder months. Or...if it rains.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
90% of my riding time with the stock shield and Cal-Sci hole it is perfect, 10% of the time it is not. I'll take that any day.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
You talkin' to me?

The hole works and, as I've stated before, I prefer the stock polycarbonate screen as opposed to Cal-Sci's acrylic. A few months ago we reorganized my shop and I told my guys to throw away any old jigs that they didn't know the purpose of -- DOH! I do have a .pdf drawing that's to scale and uses the windshield mounting holes for reference. If anybody would like a copy of it, send me a PM and I'll shoot it to you.

Here's the stock shield with the Cal-Sci hole in it:
View attachment 140779
That is a fantastic picture.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts