BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short clip from this weekends ride on a major Australian highway. It shows the extra skills needed riding in oz.>:)

(Ok the camera rotated, but it’s tightened up now 0:))

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a better (and flipped) version with some hairpins and that [email protected] GS in the way...

And yes, I’ll reposition the camera a little further forward

·
Techmeister
1,813 Posts
She is on the other side of the globe
Umm.... That is oxymoronic. Unless you are a flat-earther.

I upgraded my setup and realigned the previous set to face port and starboard. I have to tell you, people behave nicer to the bike once they see the cameras. And now I have 360 coverage.

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Donna, looks very familiar, which scratching road is that, I'm from Cooma just down the road from you. Baz.

Baz,

Is the Taralga - Oberon road down through Black Springs creek. Its a great ride :smile:

·
Registered
162 Posts
My wife n I were on a camping trip on our GS, stayed at Oberon then rode down that road to Taralga and then continued on West through Crookwell, Boorowa and on to Harden for the night, awesome ride. We are so lucky to have so many winding roads in our area. Haven't had our K16 long but we were away on it last week for the week. Unreal engine!

Attachments

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
Thanks for posting the ride Donna, I did the ride from Newcastle to Goulburn then west past the Police Driving range to Oberon only 4 weeks ago on the new RT then we went over the Blue Mountains via Mt Victoria and the Kurrajong back to Newcastle and the Putty road. Great rinding and fantastic to share the twisty bits. Nice to see you're enjoying your bike and please ride safe enjoy and have heaps of fun. I am thinking I should take the new GTL that way once I get it from BMW so I can run it in over 2 days then get the first service done and out of the way. I have to say the road from the Goulburn police driving range west to Oborne is fantastic with some nice tight corners and long winding stretchers to wind out the bike, although with the drought the Kangaroos are a slight issue at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Thanks for posting the ride Donna, I did the ride from Newcastle to Goulburn then west past the Police Driving range to Oberon only 4 weeks ago on the new RT then we went over the Blue Mountains via Mt Victoria and the Kurrajong back to Newcastle and the Putty road. Great rinding and fantastic to share the twisty bits. Nice to see you're enjoying your bike and please ride safe enjoy and have heaps of fun. I am thinking I should take the new GTL that way once I get it from BMW so I can run it in over 2 days then get the first service done and out of the way. I have to say the road from the Goulburn police driving range west to Oborne is fantastic with some nice tight corners and long winding stretchers to wind out the bike, although with the drought the Kangaroos are a slight issue at the moment.
Yes, we here in New York can relate to your kangaroo problem. While we don’t have many of them here...just a few in a zoo or two, we do have cops. They’ll jump out at you and ruin your day in a flash, and they’re everywhere. I’ll put our cops up against your Roos when it comes to jumping out at you any day! Do ya’ll have radar detectors for Roos down there?

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, we here in New York can relate to your kangaroo problem. While we don’t have many of them here...just a few in a zoo or two, we do have cops. They’ll jump out at you and ruin your day in a flash, and they’re everywhere. I’ll put our cops up against your Roos when it comes to jumping out at you any day! Do ya’ll have radar detectors for Roos down there?
We do have little ultra-sonic whistles that supposedly work on 'roos, but I have the best cop distracting device around - my own badge. And generally about half a dozen off duty highway patrol guys riding with me >:) But don't get me wrong, in all reality those guys would book me if I gave them a reason. And they'd do it with a smile. I'm supposed to know better, set the example, etc, especially is we're identifiable, i.e. wearing the patch.

So be good out there boys and girls 0:)0:)

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
Radar detectors are a big no here the fines for owning one depending on which state or territory can be $5,000.00 plus confiscation of your detector. Plus all Australian lol drive to the speed limit lol (not) .:wink::laugh:>:):grin:

Reactions: earthling and GTLen

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
We do have little ultra-sonic whistles that supposedly work on 'roos, but I have the best cop distracting device around - my own badge. And generally about half a dozen off duty highway patrol guys riding with me >:) But don't get me wrong, in all reality those guys would book me if I gave them a reason. And they'd do it with a smile. I'm supposed to know better, set the example, etc, especially is we're identifiable, i.e. wearing the patch.

Donna, I will have to catch up on next years Wall To Wall Remembrance Ride if you do them as I do each year. I will place some pics from this year's ride below as this year was special as you will know. Being our tenth year.

Attachments

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Donna, I will have to catch up on next years Wall To Wall Remembrance Ride if you do them as I do each year. I will place some pics from this year's ride below as this year was special as you will know. Being our tenth year.
This year was the only one I'd missed, I was in surgery...
I'll be there next year most certainly. Do you ride with any of the police groups? I'm ACT director for the Blue Knights AUS II

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts

We have those same whistles for deer. They don’t work. I think the deer like them. Roos and cops have nothing on deer when it comes to jumping out at motorcyclists. We have signs all over our roads warning of deer. We also have signs warning about falling rocks. These days, I don’t know where to look. I’ve decided that I should just ride as fast as I can to get out of where the signs say it’s dangerous. I also think that a better use of the deer sign money would be signs with pictures of dead deer laying in the road with tire tracks over them. You face the signs toward the woods. Maybe the deer will see em and get the message. The signs with prancing deer that we have now don’t stop us ...or the deer!:wink::wink:>:)>:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember listening to a US radio skit where a lady called wanted the 'Elk (from memory) crossing' sign moved down the road a bit because she thought that the sign (crossing) was in a silly place and if they moved the sign the beasts would see the sign and cross in a safer place. Made me laugh ?

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
This year was the only one I'd missed, I was in surgery...
I'll be there next year most certainly. Do you ride with any of the police groups? I'm ACT director for the Blue Knights AUS II
I do but I ride with a few close mates mostly however I do ride with the Old Bores but not a lot, sadly it was one of the Maitland Old Bores that was killed on the way home from this year's Wall to Wall. I hope you have recovered from your surgery.

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
We have those same whistles for deer. They don’t work. I think the deer like them. Roos and cops have nothing on deer when it comes to jumping out at motorcyclists. We have signs all over our roads warning of deer. We also have signs warning about falling rocks. These days, I don’t know where to look. I’ve decided that I should just ride as fast as I can to get out of where the signs say it’s dangerous. I also think that a better use of the deer sign money would be signs with pictures of dead deer laying in the road with tire tracks over them. You face the signs toward the woods. Maybe the deer will see em and get the message. The signs with prancing deer that we have now don’t stop us ...or the deer!:wink::wink:>:)>:)
Sounds so much like us here the Animals don't seem to take notice lol here are some of our warning signs.

Attachments

Reactions: GTLen
1 - 20 of 23 Posts