BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own K1600GTL from 2018 that do not have the hill star assist feature. Can it be upgraded ? Do anyone know if it is SW only or require adding HW ?
Thanks, Gil

·
Registered
429 Posts
I own K1600GTL from 2018 that do not have the hill star assist feature. Can it be upgraded ? Do anyone know if it is SW only or require adding HW ?
Thanks, Gil
SHALOM GIL, Nice to know we have some BMW K1600 gangs in the Holy Land. Last time I was there, I saw few RT's in Tel Aviv but not 1600. This bike is crazy expensive in Israel. Good for you, ACHI. In regards to your request and it is a good one, I will forward your question to the head service at my dealer. I am sure someone here can give you a quicker feedback. SHABBAT SHALOM.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
like everything, it will be possible to do, but what parts have to be purchased, installed, programmed is not something that many would do lightly

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
77238536874 part number
You beat me to it. Good catch and this is just software and no pesky hardware.....

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
FWIW, I have really liked my Hill Start Control...wasn't really thinking much about it when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks, Gil
Gil your GTL should have it already, but the US bikes may have it as an option where we have had most of the add on options as standard on most of our BMW`s since around 2016. So if you don't have it on your bike there should be a way of doing it through a BMW dealership or Technician.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, hill start assist can be added. I had a 2015 K1600GT, and I had hill start assist added. There is no hardware, it's a software update that has to be added at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the reply. My motorcycle do not have this option but it can. I ordered it from the local dealer and will install in few days :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don.t think it can be installed on a 2013, but i could be wrong (would not be the first time)
I think you might be correct but like you, I too do make mistakes but I am never wrong lol ;) I learnt that from my better half who is always right.:unsure::censored::cry:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Aaargh!!! Anyone had it fitted to a 2013 GT? That and the quickshifter are the only two things I would like on my bike to make it perfect.(and a quieter and less clunky gearbox, and a new dash etc, etc) Really do not want to spend a ton of money on a new one for these two "must haves".
My dealer does not know which end of the bike is the front, so no use asking them. Give me some good news here, somebody, pleeeez.
I suppose if hillstart was not an option in 2013, the basics would not be preinstalled.
Oh, well, it was happiness for a brief moment. Have to live with the stalling.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I think hill start assist uses the abs/traction control sensors reading and computer to work. I'm pretty sure I remember my dealer, Max BMW telling me the computer pre-15 or 14 can't be flashed with the hill start coding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aaargh!!! Anyone had it fitted to a 2013 GT? That and the quickshifter are the only two things I would like on my bike to make it perfect.(and a quieter and less clunky gearbox, and a new dash etc, etc) Really do not want to spend a ton of money on a new one for these two "must haves".
My dealer does not know which end of the bike is the front, so no use asking them. Give me some good news here, somebody, pleeeez.
I suppose if hillstart was not an option in 2013, the basics would not be preinstalled.
Oh, well, it was happiness for a brief moment. Have to live with the stalling.
There is the ‘13 GT. Hill start for you😀

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, Lou Sid, I saw that and and the one from ViennaK, but sometimes (!) with BMW, what you see is not what you can always get! Maybe someone who has a good relationship with their knowledgeable dealer could find out for sure, then I can push the issue in good old South Africa. Would appreciate it very much. I need this, I want this.....:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a '13 GT and checked out this option last year. After much back and forth with multiple dealers, the answer was that the '13 ABS module had to be replaced as it did not support the hill start option. Once the ABS module was replaced then one could purchase the software update. Personally, seeing the cost involved, I opted to not move forward. The cost of a new ABS module on Max BMW's part fiche is:
#​
Part Number​
Description​
lb​
Qty[IMG alt="This is the recomended quantity.
Price is for each one.
Once you click on BUY, you will be able to specify how many items you want to add to your cart.

'X' means as necessary (could also be length in meters)."]https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/images/Help.png[/IMG]
Each​
01​
34 51 7 715 109​
PRESSURE MODULATOR INTEGRAL ABS GEN. 2​
5.25​
1​
$2016.55​

·
Registered
186 Posts
My friend just had Hill Start added to his 2016 R1200GSA. It cost $300 CDN
That's strange. I couldn't get it added to my '16 GSA, something about the ABS module didn't support the code. It was available in 2017 though.

I had it on my 15 RT and it was not a great implementation, so I wasn't too broken up about not being able to add it on the GSA. It came on my 20 GSA, though, and is much more refined. I've used it for several things but never for starting on a hill :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts