BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had perfected the art of putting my new bike on the middle stand.
Today I had 13 off factory accessories installed on the bike.
One of them are passenger sports boards and now I just can't seem to put my bike on the middle stand
There is less space and I guess leg is hitting the sports boards adjustable bar.

Any suggestions advice on what to change?
Go back to college and take physics lessons is out of question.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also installed the rear guards and rider sports boards and I am guessing the weight distribution has definitely changed.
But need to figure this out.
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Are you saying the center stand lowers to the floor normally but you just can't get it all the way onto the stand??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a month old Bike and I was able to put it on center stand without a problem on a 1up single rider mode.
When it was in a 2 up I had to change to 1up
Now with a lot of ilum boards and guards In 1up I am just unable to put it on the center stand.
I can try 2 up and see what happens.
May have to buy a wood boatd 1 inch high as a second option is what I am thinking..

Thanks

·
Upside Down
1,488 Posts
I have a month old Bike and I was able to put it on center stand without a problem on a 1up single rider mode.
Now with a lot of ilum boards and guards In 1up I am just unable to put it on the center stand.
May have to buy a wood boatd 1 inch high as a second option is what I am thinking..

Thanks
Where is the issue with getting the center stand down? Is your leg hitting on the back of the riders board or the front of the passenger board? Lastly, if it is a matter of not having enough height to allow you to put the bike on the center stand and you are suggesting using a wood Boat? I use a small board to give me the leverage I need to put the GTL on its center stand. I just place the board at the back of the rear tyre then pull the bike back onto the board this allows enough hight to place the bike on the center stand without straining. I made my own that I carry in the saddlebags so it does not take up any real space. see the photo below for measurements etc. Its no glamour of a device but works and cost about $4.00 AUD I hope it helps you. last, of all you might need to think about raising the passenger boards one notch if the legs if getting caught up.

IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

Reactions: Direwlf

·
Banned
2,214 Posts

Thanks
This really doesn't make any sense. 2-up should always be easier than 1-up as 2-up raises the bike a bit. I really doubt you put enough weight on the bike with the new accessories to notice the difference. If anything, you blocked direct access to the lever and now can't put your weight directly on the lever. That could be a problem, but it isn't one that you can solve short of removing whatever is blocking your access.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all
I will test it this evening with 2up
Because of passenger boards, my foot is hitting the down bar of the rear boards limiting the amount of leg angle and weight I can put in the middle stand.

I will first try with 2 up then if that doesn't work then Ill try out what Geoff suggested.

Without any changes that happened with additional accessories I was never able to put the bike on middle stand, only with 1up.
Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It looks like your passenger boards are on lowered hardware. I have same boards for passenger I flip them up for easier access and 2 up mode definitely is easier than one up.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Where is the issue with getting the center stand down? Is your leg hitting on the back of the riders board or the front of the passenger board? Lastly, if it is a matter of not having enough height to allow you to put the bike on the center stand and you are suggesting using a wood Boat? I use a small board to give me the leverage I need to put the GTL on its center stand. I just place the board at the back of the rear tyre then pull the bike back onto the board this allows enough hight to place the bike on the center stand without straining. I made my own that I carry in the saddlebags so it does not take up any real space. see the photo below for measurements etc. Its no glamour of a device but works and cost about $4.00 AUD I hope it helps you. last, of all you might need to think about raising the passenger boards one notch if the legs if getting caught up.

View attachment 146369 View attachment 146370
Exactly what I had in my garage for when I wanted it on a center stand. It made it easy very easy. You should make some out of light weight carbon fiber and sell them. I would seriously buy one. Just because it would be cool :) And it would save my back.

·
Upside Down
1,488 Posts
Exactly what I had in my garage for when I wanted it on a center stand. It made it easy very easy. You should make some out of light weight carbon fiber and sell them. I would seriously buy one. Just because it would be cool :) And it would save my back.
I am only a silly old Ozzy we invent things then our country sells or gives the ideas to the rest of the world lol :cool::cry::censored:

Reactions: Direwlf

·
Registered
21 Posts
What a great idea Geoff - after struggling for 2 weeks I finally got my K1600GTL onto the center stand and have done it a number of times since - but like you I'm an old fart too and I do find that I'm straining muscles in my right arm in the process - so I'm heading to my garage to make a copy of your device 😃 😃 Thanks for the tip mate.
Cheers
Paul

·
Upside Down
1,488 Posts
Reactions: Magoo222
1 - 15 of 15 Posts