BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing from Sena to Cardo with the DMC Mesh system. According to the research I've done it appears the microphone is always on when connected to the mesh network. If this assumption is correct then if I use the voice commands to control the unit everyone connected to the mesh network will hear me talking.

Is there a way to mute the mike?

Most of my riding is with one other person so I'm wondering if instead of using the mesh functionality we connect using the Bluetooth option and press the Intercom button when we want to talk to each other.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mic might always be listening but its not always on.
I can say hey Cardo and my other Bold cant talk to me for that 1 second.
Also if the GPS is talking it locks out the intercom for a split second.
This can be adjusted so that it doesn't block out the intercom it gives you choices.

Ian

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying if I use the Hey Cardo commands those are not transmitted to everyone else connected via the mesh network?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The system doesn't mute until it either parses the command (understands it) or another bluetooth device cuts in.

Rider 1 " Hey Cardo, Next Track"
Rider 2 hears "Hey Cardo, Next Track"

Rider 1 - GPS Says "Turn Left in 500 Meters"
Rider 2 hears " " (Nothing)

Rider 1 - "Hey Siri (wait for siri prompt) Call my wife"
Rider 2 hears "Hey Siri"

You will also hear the occasional cough, someone singing in their helmet, or the occasional wind gust from someone elses mic (if they are wearing a salad bowl). When this happens your local music (or whatever) mutes and you hear them for a second then the local music comes back up in volume.

You won't hear other riders when they go private (there is no indication that they are not available or talking to each other).

You also have the option of just using the buttons on the cardo to skip tracks, change intercom selections, switch audio sources, etc..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, that's what I thought. So the best option for me and my friend would be to use the standard BT connection so we don't keep hearing each other skipping tracks. I'm coming from a Sena and I have their BT remote unit to control my unit so I don't have to keep taking my hands off the bars and I plan on using the Cardo voice commands with the PackTalk for the same reason.

Thank you for your answer.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Maybe.. I ride in a group of 2-6 depending on the day, we all have packtalk bolds and honestly the occasional 'hey cardo' doesn't bother me. Conversely the wind noise from the Sena rider who occasionally joins (everyone had Sena 20s/30s) is super annoying. Most of the time its just me and my music and the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't ever use the 'hey cardo' command because for it to understand me and work, I have to swap my Brit voice for an American accent, and that's not good at the best of times! I don't find a single push of the skip track button (nearest the front of the unit) to be a problem at all; it depends how often you need to skip track I guess, but once every 10-15 minutes is tolerable for me to use the button.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Maybe.. I ride in a group of 2-6 depending on the day, we all have packtalk bolds and honestly the occasional 'hey cardo' doesn't bother me. Conversely the wind noise from the Sena rider who occasionally joins (everyone had Sena 20s/30s) is super annoying. Most of the time its just me and my music and the road.
I am with you I prefer just to listen to my music rather than have anyone blasting my ear lol I have an Apple iPhone so I need to use the Hey Siri command as the hey Cardo does not work. Plus getting back to the original question you have a cardo App on your phone that you can use to control who is in your group etc.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I am with you I prefer just to listen to my music rather than have anyone blasting my ear lol I have an Apple iPhone so I need to use the Hey Siri command as the hey Cardo does not work. Plus getting back to the original question you have a cardo App on your phone that you can use to control who is in your group etc.
¿ɹǝʌo ɔᴉW ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉuɹnʇ pǝᴉɹʇ noʎ ǝʌɐH

If Hey Siri works, Hey Cardo should work, maybe it doesn't like the accent you guys have from the deep, deep, deep south.

;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

If Hey Siri works, Hey Cardo should work, maybe it doesn't like the accent you guys have from the deep, deep, deep south.

;)
I think it is more to do with the air pressure from the Antarctic winds:cool: and that we tend to ride and drive on the correct side of the roads lol.

·
Registered
525 Posts

I never can get "hey Caro" to work. Was at my desk troubleshooting with a video. In the video, it responded every time the German accented guy speaking English said "Hey Cardo."

At first I laughed, then I got to say it was infuriating. Ok google works, but won't respond to MY Ga accented Hey Cardo. (^&#$^@

¿ɹǝʌo ɔᴉW ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉuɹnʇ pǝᴉɹʇ

Yes.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
:cool::(:unsure: You might have to say Hey Ga or then again it could be like the other half I listen when I want too is the answer I get every time. Funny that I do it when my hearing aids are in and if I want to wear them.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I never can get "hey Caro" to work. Was at my desk troubleshooting with a video. In the video, it responded every time the German accented guy speaking English said "Hey Cardo."

At first I laughed, then I got to say it was infuriating. Ok google works, but won't respond to MY Ga accented Hey Cardo. (^&#$^@

Yes.
Try imitating the voice of the German guy :)

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
If Hey Siri works, Hey Cardo should work,
I never can get "hey Caro" to work. .... Ok google works, but won't respond to MY Ga accented Hey Cardo. (^&#$^@

I wouldn't make that assumption. In the case of Siri/Google, it is the phone doing the processing and deciding to act. For "Hey Cardo", it is the Cardo doing the processing. I'm sure the phone's voice recognition algorithms are FAR more advanced than what Cardo is putting in their devices.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wouldn't make that assumption. In the case of Siri/Google, it is the phone doing the processing and deciding to act. For "Hey Cardo", it is the Cardo doing the processing. I'm sure the phone's voice recognition algorithms are FAR more advanced than what Cardo is putting in their devices.
I've never had an issue with "Hey Cardo" commands. Maybe the trick is to talk like you have marbles in your mouth. :)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Recognizing the audio for simple commands like Hey Anything is relatively simple from a processing standpoint so the phone doesn't have a tremendous advantage.. if the speech was more complex (continuous discussion) that would be different. That wasn't however my point as I was just pointing out that Hey Siri is passing through the same audio path as hey cardo. So it 'should work' as it is very consistent for everyone I know that has a cardo.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts

Yes.
What version of the firmware are you running? You should be on 5.3 for the latest updates on speech recognition and 5.6 is the newest which adds features like better audio mixing and audio sharing over DMC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts