BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an octane booster to use when traveling in areas with lower octane gas.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
What @Arizona Jim says. Many of us have ran 87 octane when 89 was not available with no ill effects. The couple of times I've used lower octane I take it kinda easy; e.g. no full throttle, etc..

Duane

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know if I am superstitious- but when I was in Arkansas last month I put 87 in and left the gas station just to have the bike go into limp mode about 3 miles down the road. After getting towed back to STL they said it was the throttle valve actuator value ( I think I said that right ). Which may have absolutely nothing to do with the gas I put in but I connect the filling up, with lower octane gas ,to breaking down.

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
What @Arizona Jim says. Many of us have ran 87 octane when 89 was not available with no ill effects. The couple of times I've used lower octane I take it kinda easy; e.g. no fun throttle, etc..

Duane
Kinda easy for you is sorta fast for the rest of us.:sneaky:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
As others have stated, a lower octane rating won't hurt anything. That, of course, assumes you're running the stock tune. If you're operating with the Stage II Bren tune, carrying a bottle of octane boost makes sense, though, as it wants 93 octane. James (forum member @J-Luv) and I each got a case of Amsoil octane boost from forum member @capav8r. Here's a link to the Amsoil page: DOMINATOR® Octane Boost AOB - AMSOIL

Reactions: Muegge and J-Luv

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I run whatever is available.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
When I know I will have to use lower octane before I'll reach a place with something higher, I try to stop earlier than later so that there is more premium in the tank from the last fill OR I don't top it off but get enough to get me safely to the next stop with more options. In both options, the effective octane is improved since you're mixing a larger amount of premium with a smaller amount of regular.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has BMW changed the recommended octane rating? The rider's manual for my 2020 says 87 minimum.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Isn’t there a knock sensor that would automatically reduce timing and curtail the detionation. The higher Octane would allow rated HP and better efficiency.

Having never used less then 93 so have no K1600 lower octane experienc.

Ian

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,324 Posts
Has BMW changed the recommended octane rating? The rider's manual for my 2020 says 87 minimum.
Just checked my 2019 manual: Super unleaded, max 15% ethanol. 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON) or 90 AKI.

So here in the States, Super is recommended and mid-grade is fine, apparently. But I’ve never had a gas issue with this bike, and I’d doubt it would need it, especially with the way Germans choose their words and recommended is not something they‘d say if 87 would cause it go into limp mode.

As to the OP, I ALWAYS carry octane booster with me on the K1200S, as those bikes are happier, especially at low rpm, on really high octane, so I throw a can in every bike now, out of paranoia, if I’m stuck with 87 only anywhere. My preferred brand is Liqui-Moly. Beemer Boneyard runs regular specials, and I order by the case.

Reactions: Muegge

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
Isn’t there a knock sensor that would automatically reduce timing and curtail the detionation. The higher Octane would allow rated HP and better efficiency.

Having never used less then 93 so have no K1600 lower octane experienc.

Ian
No these bikes don't have an anti-knock sensor. Octane in gasoline ONLY address pre-ignition knock. It does nothing for HP, fuel efficiency or make the engine run cleaner.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This is generally accepted as the best octane booster commonly available

On that page, there is a link to blending it with 87 octane.

Most other octane boosters usually say they boost octane by X amount. X is usually in tenths of a point, so beware. Most are snake oils.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,324 Posts
This is generally accepted as the best octane booster commonly available

On that page, there is a link to blending it with 87 octane.

Most other octane boosters usually say they boost octane by X amount. X is usually in tenths of a point, so beware. Most are snake oils.
No doubt, but the LM product is conveniently available in little motorcycle cans, so you just dump it all in with however much you put in the tank (no doubt it would be wasted on a full 7 gallons), chuck in the trash and go. 😁No calculating or measuring. I know with different amounts of gas mixed in, you’ll get different results, and I’ve only been able to detect better results at idle and low rpm with crappy gas and using this stuff, but I also take it easy when using low octane junk gas.

I’d better knock on wood, because with this bike, I‘m like @flyjets, and I’ve never had to put anything but 93 in the K16 so far. He’s been happy, happy, happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As others have stated, a lower octane rating won't hurt anything. That, of course, assumes you're running the stock tune. If you're operating with the Stage II Bren tune, carrying a bottle of octane boost makes sense, though, as it wants 93 octane. James (forum member @J-Luv) and I each got a case of Amsoil octane boost from forum member @capav8r. Here's a link to the Amsoil page: DOMINATOR® Octane Boost AOB - AMSOIL
How much of that do you put in at a time per gallon?

·
Techmeister
1,463 Posts
My rule is 1. anytime I travel, 2. anytime I travel to high altitudes I carry a bottle. I run a stage 2 tune almost all of the time, but I can down-tune on the road.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
How much of that do you put in at a time per gallon?
23.6 ml per gallon bumps 89 octane to 93 (165.2 ml per 7 gallon fill up). Bren says that 91 octane, while not optimal, will be sufficient for the Stage 2. If you want to go ahead and bump it to 93, you'll want to add 11.8 ml per gallon (82.6 ml per fill up).*

*These numbers are based on Amsoil Dominator Octane Booster which adds 4 octane points.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts