BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of CDs and don't want to transfer them to another media. Has anyone out there been able to add a CD player to their K1600 thru the USB port or ??? Thanks for any help out there!

Bob
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
That's a truly new one. Buy a cheap $20 USB CD player and try it out. Port should deliver enough power, the protocol to read data from an USB stick is likely different from a CD player, but who knows what the end result could be. I love it when people go to great length to avoid the obvious solution.....

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I sympathise with the OP. I bit the bullet and digitised my CD collection about 10 years ago. Found a good program to do it and every time I walked past the computer I put another CD in. Took a while but glad I did it. Not sure how a CD player will fair on the bike with the inevitable bumps and jolts though?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It hurts saying goodbye. I spent the fall, 2012 tv season burning my CDs to a hard drive. But $79/year from amazon is less expensive and more convenient for a few million songs.

I am sure when I die one of the 1st things thrown away will $5000 of worthless boxes of CDs. I threw away my cassettes when transferred the CDs. And that hurt too.

I miss holding my music and looking at album art. I'll say it myself. "ok boomer"

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I have a lot of CDs and don't want to transfer them to another media. Has anyone out there been able to add a CD player to their K1600 thru the USB port or ??? Thanks for any help out there!

Bob
[email protected]
That won't work. Even if it could recognize the disc format it would not know how to play the audio. Your only choice would be to splice into the audio system and replace the aux in with a stand alone CD player but for gods sake why... You can easily convert them to lossless format if you are worried about quality. If you were local I would tell you to stop by, I have a robot that rips the disks 100 at a time. I committed to ripping my over 5000 album library 20 years ago and never looked back. Far easier, just get a spotify account or tidal if its about quality, and move on... If for some reason you haven't gotten around to ripping the CDs do it soon as we are passed peak in getting access to technology for ripping disks.

Tidal
Spotify
Amazon Prime
Apple Music

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
11.01 for used - good condition. Don't forget the 3.5mm cable or BT transmitter. But somehow I don't think rockers9 is going to be using Bluetooth.

I'm thinking it should work with the head phone cord run into the 3.5 jack next to the USB jack - assuming new bikes still have that connection in the left side box.

That will work but only through the aux in. No audio information, no integration with the WW except maybe volume.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am sure when I die one of the 1st things thrown away will $5000 of worthless boxes of CDs. I threw away my cassettes when transferred the CDs. And that hurt too.

I miss holding my music and looking at album art. I'll say it myself. "ok boomer"
.......I'm still crying about my 8-tracks !

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Following this thread because I am hoping someone will come up with a way to use my wax cylinders while riding my 21st century motorcycle. I tried smoke signals but the turbulence from passing trucks made them go wonky...

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
He could try this as an external USB CD reader. Probability to get it to work is fairly low, but so is a $20 investment to improve our inventory of solutions for non-existing problems. We have a good selection already on this fine forum......But who am I say that we have enough?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
MP3 quality (lossy) is probably all that you can play through the USB port anyway so you might as well use mp3 downloads (as others have noted already). You can download a kajillion songs for hardly anything nowadays. Put 'em on a thumbdrive or your phone.

To get CD quality (lossless), you might find a bluetooth cd player and stream it to your headset but finding a cd player built to handle the rigors of a motorcycle (anti-skip, weather proofing, etc.) would be difficult.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The amount of time and work spent trying to tie in a janky at best CD player into a motorcycle would likely be better spent just converting the CD's to MP3's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts