BMW K1600 Forum banner

Center Stand... help!

17K views 90 replies 48 participants last post by  Ranger1 
#1 ·
I’ve had my GTL for a few weeks and am loving it. I’ve previously owned a K1200LT and loved it as well. Right or wrong, I’d put the K1200 on the center stand and almost always sat on the bike and rocked it off. Again, right or wrong.

When I bought the GTL, the dealer went to great pains to show me the features of the bike, including how to put it on the center stand. That last part I knew, of course. He even showed me how to get it off the center stand, although I confess I wasn’t paying too much attention at that point - I wanted to go ride.

So... I’ve been using the side stand exclusively. In my garage, when I’m parking, etc. Not because I was intimidated in putting it on the center stand - that’s pretty easy for me. Imagine my surprise, though, when I came out of the place I was in today after having put her on the center stand (really for the first time). I climbed on and tried to rock it off. No way was that gonna happen. Dang, I thought, I’m gonna have to take it off the center stand by myself, never really having done it before. Hmmm. But what if I drop it? That would suck. So I went and found a helper. I left the side stand down (good or bad thing?) and while I had a guy in the other side of the bike, I pretty much pulled it off the center stand.

Clearly I am gonna need more practice. Nothing went wrong today, but I still envision dropping it. Any hints/tips/best practices greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
And I'd recommend always leaving the side stand down before rocking the bike off the center stand. If for some reason you lost your balance just pull the bike in your direction and the side stand will catch it. I'm 'assuming' you're not sitting on the bike but are standing on the left side.

Duane

#6 ·
Perhaps you parked on a slight uphill grade and that's why it was hard to rock it off the center stand. I usually only use mine in my garage on a flat floor and although a little hard to do I can rock it off the center stand, when empty. Harder with full luggage and trunk.

#7 ·
I always put the side stand down when taking the bike off the center stand, I am too short to rock it off the stand with me on the bike. I stand on the left side of the bike facing the seat with my right hand on the pillion grab handle and the left hand the left bar grip, clutch in, bike in first gear. I just pull the bike forward, up and slightly toward me. When it rolls forward off the stand, I release the clutch and let the bike settle into the side stand. I have over 80,000 miles on a k1600 and have never dropped one this way.

#40 ·
I don't know why, but I never thought to leave it in gear. Great tip, thanks. :tb.

Always stood at the side, and did as above. Always have side-stand down. Never had a problem. Never, ever had side stand flip up on it's own!! One up, empty/two up, fully loaded. I actually find my GTL a whole lot easier than my "little" T100 Bonny....

#8 ·
Seems to be opposing opinions on whether the sidestand is down or up when removing the bike from the centerstand. I agree with Gunnert and with his supporting argument. However, I would like to understand the opposing view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#70 ·
I let down the side stand. However, be very conscious about your left foot placement. I look and make sure it is to the right of the side stand. A natural stand could place your toe or whole foot under the side stand and then when the bike rolls forward and drops off the center stand your foot might end up under it and you will get hurt. Because the bike is in gear, it doesn't roll, stops dead where the rear wheel hits the ground.

Also, I raise the bike in neutral on the center stand to make it easier. I use a dolly under the center stand and find it easier in neutral and the brakes on the dolly off when raising it on the center stand. To roll it off however, I need to set the brakes on the dolly.

This bike is unusual in that it is top heavy, it will drop like a ton of bricks if you don't guide it full-time. That's why it is so important to have the side stand down because then it can't drop sideways on you, and more important all you need to do when the dip hits the fan is lean it in towards you and the bike will rest on the side stand. I've owned a lot of heavy bikes, but none as top heavy and tilt affinative as the k1600.

#9 ·
if you can get it up, you can get it down. Put the side stand down so that you don't have to do it while trying to hold the bike upright. On level ground when you pull it forward to get it off the center stand it will settle down on the suspension vertically and if you are keeping it vertical when it does you can lay it on the side stand without a bit of trouble.

#10 ·
Not sure side stand down would give me that much more safety assurance. Even with my short legs, losing my balance kicking the bike off center stand is exceedingly unlikely. In all my yrs of riding, I can't recall ever come close to losing it like that. Other scenarios, oh yeah... but not rocking off the CT. I've ridden plenty of bikes where I'm tippy toe on both sides. Heck, some of my bikes perched on the CT basically left my feet dangling in the air. :D IMO, safety comes more in the technique and paying attention to the ground traction near the bike.

Anyhow... if I do lose my balance, going to the left side is 50/50 chance. Now, I do grab the front brake whole rocking the bike off CT to limit the amount of forward movement, but... the bike still has a good chance of rolling a bit forward right after rocking my bike off CT, which tend to swipe the side stand rearward and UP. So a very small % x 50% x some % the bike is standing still enough for the side stand to catch the bike = a very small %.

Realistically, being that my legs are short and need to head straight down to contact terra firma, the down side stand is quite often in the way of my left foot and more likely to cause me problem than it might help. Your long shanks with telescoping legs that strut out like 45deg outriggers won't be bothered by the side stand, but then again... you should be far less likely to complain of stability problems, no?

Not arguing one way or another on this one. Just relating my own experience. I'd say... do whichever way suit you better.

#17 · (Edited)
What you say about the side stand retracting when rocking the bike off the center stand might only be true when one is sitting on the bike at the time (I don’t know, personally, because I’m too short to do it). Then, maybe, the suspension might compress with the weight of the rider and knock the stand up. What I do know for certain is that the side stand does not touch ground or retract when one is pulling the bike off the center stand while standing to the left of the bike. So, for the sake of clarity and consistency, side stand up when sitting in the bike to rock it off the center stand. If I was sitting on the bike and had legs long enough to reach the ground, I wouldn’t need or want the side stand down when the bike came off the center stand. Side stand down when standing next to the bike while pulling it off the center stand. Safe, easy and effective.

#11 · (Edited)
It's amazing how much thought us humans give to the most basic movements.

All this discussion, and nobody's even considered how the electronically controlled top end of the GTL would affect this maneuver, and don't even think about the 170 mph limit of the GT. :wink:

Maybe we could figure out how to incorporate that neat little fold-out lever (of which I plan to purchase for my bike) I've seen that mounts to the frame to help rock it off the center stand?

I am somewhat intrigued as to why some advise not to rock these bikes off the CT while seated. All I know is the technique works quite well on the LT. IIRC, I've even done it two-up and loaded with full cases.

Maybe BMW could come out with one with those electric/hydraulic center stands like the later LTs have for the K1600?

#12 ·
For clarity’s sake, if I were on the bike, rocking it off the center stand, I’d raise the side stand. I only had the side stand out when not mounted on the bike. Interesting conversation. I’ve rocked a fully loaded LT off the center stand with no problem. I easily have 75,000+ miles on the LT. And while I did have a guy help me with it today, it was pretty easy. I guess it’s gonna require practice so I feel more comfortable with it.

#15 ·
What can happen? I’m thinking. And doing, I’ve been doing it for years without anything but what I intended happening. If, on a very rare occasion, I forget to lower the side stand before I pull the bike off the center stand (I’m not on the bike), I find myself trying to keep the bike upright while I fiddle around trying to get the side stand down. What can happen here is obvious and decidedly not what I would intend.

#16 · (Edited)
When you are not on the bike while removing it from the center stand, the suspension does not compress enough to knock the side stand up. If it did do so once in a while (and, again, it doesn’t), one would be no worse off on those occasions than if one started with the side stand up, but would have the side stand to support the bike all the other times.

#18 ·
Wow...I never would have guessed a center stand question could generate such discussion. Guess I have taken my long legs and size for granted. I was thinking just yesterday how nimble the GTL felt as I wheeled it around the garage in comparison to the Gold Wing. Quite a few suggestions in this thread. I think it best to read and understand each of them as something that has worked for someone and then figure out what might work best for one’s own self, as we all have individual leverage points and strong points at particular angles. One thing is for sure: it would suck to drop the bike.

#19 ·
+1 on leaving the side stand deployed, they feel heavy when stationary and providing its not rolling forward and you feel off balance you have a second bite of the cherry. I have to use centre stand in the garage at home as UK houses aren't that wide, and happy the manual says refuel on side stand

Reactions: st13phil
#22 ·
What an interesting thread...we have the same bike but different takes on how we do this. Personally I thought the only way to get it off the CS was to straddle it and push it forward...in neutral....then squeeze the brake as soon as its on both shoes. But then again...I'm 6' 3" and found this easy.

Totally understand the standing on side, 1st gear and let the clutch out as well but I can tell you I would be so nervous I would probably be able to crack walnuts in my arse cheeks while doing that the first time. I know it can be done...I would just be nervous.

FWIW...someone could build two blocks (shoe box size) out of wood and place each one near the pegs but enough to clear the bike and bags....stand on them while straddling (sitting) on bike and move it forward....make sure the stands don't slide though when pushing....then just let the bike wheel forward until you clear the stands. Can't take them with you but they can be the garage set up. I'm just thinking out loud with this.

I park my bike on the rubber mats sold at Tractor Supply and like the grip they offer...plus I like the bike to be sitting on the rubber over the winter.

#24 ·
This thread makes me wonder

if i started a thread titled

Do You Use Your Left or Right Hand to Button Your Motorcycle Jacket?

How many pages deep would the discussion debate go

lol

#26 · (Edited)
Don't be sexist. It depends if you're a male or female. Female jackets/blouses/shirts typically have the buttons on the opposite side. :kiss:

My jackets have zippers and velcro. My vest has snaps, and I'm left-handed, but I don't necessarily use that hand for all things needing a hand. lol.

Reactions: Ronpie and PLAGUE
#28 ·
.. Nothing went wrong today, but I still envision dropping it. Any hints/tips/best practices greatly appreciated.
FWIW, I have my side stand down when taking my GTL off the center stand if I'm standing beside it and usually have it up when seated on the bike. If the bike is on the side stand and I am going to put it on the center stand, I leave the side stand down.

If you are at all concerned about dropping your GTL (I am), I'd advise installing engine and side bag protection bars. I have Altrider engine bars and Ilium rear bars.

Reactions: bikerj
#29 ·
...If you are at all concerned about dropping your GTL (I am), I'd advise installing engine and side bag protection bars. I have Altrider engine bars and Ilium rear bars.
The OP or someone else might have another concern, which is not knowing how to pickup the bike by himself should the bike wind up on it's side. :surprise:

At which point we could start another one of these threads. :wink:

Reactions: maybeinoregon
#31 ·
This thread is has been entertaining, and interesting.

I just came from several years on an LT, and I always got the bike off the center stand by sitting on it and rocking it forward. I never had as issue. There was no way I was going to wrestle that beast down from a standing position.

So when I got the GTL a few months ago, I continued with the same technique. I never thought about taking it off the center stand while off the bike. I'll try it, and at least at first, I'm going to keep the kick stand down.

#37 ·
I'm in the same camp. I've never come close to losing it as the bike comes off the stand.

My feet don’t touch the ground when the center stand is deployed. With my LT, same thing, but I could sit on the bike and give it a good hip thrust while seated to knock it off the center stand. Tried that with an unloaded GTL the other day and just couldn’t do it. Pretty sure I wasn’t parked on any type of upslope. Anyway, the good news is that I practiced taking it off the center stand today (both with and without the side stand deployed), and am feeling much more comfortable/confident in my ability to do so. ?
You'd think the lighter GTL would be easier to knock off the stand while sitting, but not necessarily. The one time I really struggled to get it down, it turned out there was a very small upslope. It didn't take much. I didn't see it until staring at it after the fact.

#36 ·
I doubt loosing ones balance, footing maybe but you start out fully balanced, as long as the wheel is straight, there is nothing to upset that balance. Standing off to one side you are much stronger on the side you are standing on than the other. The argument should be to do it from the side opposite the kickstand that way if you do lose it, it will get caught by the kickstand as it goes away from you and you have a chance to catch it if it falls towards you. But.. I find doing it from the seated position to be relatively easy. I also don't use the centerstand much outside of the garage.

#35 ·
My feet don’t touch the ground when the center stand is deployed. With my LT, same thing, but I could sit on the bike and give it a good hip thrust while seated to knock it off the center stand. Tried that with an unloaded GTL the other day and just couldn’t do it. Pretty sure I wasn’t parked on any type of upslope. Anyway, the good news is that I practiced taking it off the center stand today (both with and without the side stand deployed), and am feeling much more comfortable/confident in my ability to do so. ?

#41 ·
Some dawning thought on why the issue can occur. If you park on the main road in the UK, the side stand is down camber, do the same thing in the States you have up camber, hence an increased chance of side stand contacting roadway.

Historically side and centre stands were a poor quality on some marks, I've certainly had a part fracture off, the stand to deform over time, wear on the stand pads that all change the geometry.

New properly inflated tyres are easier to roll from centre stand, and a harder two up setting reduces the amount of drop.

I also recall that baggers didn't come with a centre stand and when retrofitted they were considered too tall (not sure of the truth on that)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.