BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a questions that may have been covered here before and honestly I would be surprised if it has not. I have a painted floor in my garage. When I placed my K16GTL on the center stand, I could not get the bike down from the stand while on the slick painted surface. The bike would just slide across the floor.

I had to slide the bike out of the garage onto the concrete drive way, to gain enough traction to remove the bike from the center stand. I am new to center stands, so maybe there's a technique that I am just missing.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
That's a common problem! I park my bike in the garage on a piece of hard rubber matting, problem solved. It was so bad on the Handy lift I rigged a ratchet strap to hold the stand in place when I rocked the bike forward. On the lift, I've since coated the top with a non-skid/truck bed liner paint, again, problem solved.

Duane

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply around you, they sell large thick rubber mates. I believe they have two sizes. Get one large one and you have your problem solved. Plus a little parking spot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A throw rug/carpet remnant will work too. Just be sure it isn't one the wife wants to keep in the house.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
If you're stepping down on the stand and lifting from the seat rail traction doesn't really figure into it. But preload does. If you have it on rider plus luggage or two riders the bike sits a little higher and is way easier to get up on the stand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're stepping down on the stand and lifting from the seat rail traction doesn't really figure into it. But preload does. If you have it on rider plus luggage or two riders the bike sits a little higher and is way easier to get up on the stand.
He's not having difficulty getting it up. His problem is getting it to go back down! o_O

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Oh I see. It's slippy trying to push it off. Huh. Get a rubber mat to park it on. No need to scratch up the shiny floor either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a questions that may have been covered here before and honestly I would be surprised if it has not. I have a painted floor in my garage. When I placed my K16GTL on the center stand, I could not get the bike down from the stand while on the slick painted surface. The bike would just slide across the floor.

I had to slide the bike out of the garage onto the concrete drive way, to gain enough traction to remove the bike from the center stand. I am new to center stands, so maybe there's a technique that I am just missing.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Put a piece of cardboard beneath the stands. It works for me. Low tech fix that protects the floor too.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Put a piece of cardboard beneath the stands. It works for me. Low tech fix that protects the floor too.
I second the cardboard it works. I park my bike on it 4x8 floor mat that borrowed from work a few years ago.;)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You can also just put your foot in front of the CS as you push the bike forward off the stand.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
You can also just put your foot in front of the CS as you push the bike forward off the stand.
I also rock the back down before pushing it forward like in the video. Keeping the bike in first, the side stand down and the bars adjusted to the right a bit so the bike falls toward the side stand.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply around you, they sell large thick rubber mates. I believe they have two sizes. Get one large one and you have your problem solved. Plus a little parking spot.
I use a truck mud flap available at auto parts stores

1 - 16 of 16 Posts