BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2013 K1600GTL, I have a standard key, as well as a key fob (not all in one). The key fob doesn't work all the time; I seem to have to hit the button multiple times and randomly it will work. Once it locks, a second press of the button arms/disarms the alarm no problem. When I come back to the bike, I have to go through the same process. Does anybody have any insight into how to make it work smoother like a key fob on a car? I'd love to hit the button once and have it lock/unlock.

**Edit: I've changed the battery in the key fob and re-synced per the manual to the same result.

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 2013 GT did the same, sometimes I hardly touched the alarm button and the fob light would flicker. Could never fathom it out. I had to give the button a very firm push and it seemed to work ok then, most times.
Did change the battery but that never seemed to make a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done a search and came up with a lot of people with the same issue but couldn't find any solutions. Seems like something I might just need to learn to live with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upon further inspection, it seems that both switches on the fob light up the LED way before the button ‘clicks’. Any pressure at all activates the LED. Does the button have two functions or do I just have a bad fob?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just took it apart and cleaned the contacts and had the same result. Everything on the board seem to be in good shape. I don't see any wear. I'm guessing the switches are going bad as djfalkenstein mentioned. I have an inquiry at the dealer on a replacement, but he can't seem to sort out the correct part number as there are two numbers that superseded the old number. He's going to reach out to Germany and see if they can sort out the correct part. He's thinking 65759444635 but wants to be sure.

·
Techmeister
K1600GA
2,591 Posts
Inside that FOB is a spring under the button. The spring keeps the contact pads seperate until depressed. If the pads are broken at all from years of repeated acutuation, the function will be intermittent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see a spring anywhere in my fob. Perhaps that's only with the newer style fob (attached to the key)? Below is a link to a youtube video I just took. You can see the LED light up red as soon as I barely touch each button then once I actually push the button down it flashes then the light goes off.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If the LEDs are lighting up, it's obviously making contact. Makes me think that maybe the thing's shot and just needs replaced.

·
Registered
2012 K1600 GT
28 Posts
When I bought my 2012 K1600GT in Jan I got two keys/fobs. One seemed dead and one seemed extremely sensitive. You could just lay your finger on it and it would flash rapidly. I took them both to BatteriesPlus and let them fit new batteries. The one that was dead now has life, but acts the same as the other one. Which with new battery acts the same. I followed the manual and paired them to the bike and they act as yours. You have to push the button several times to get them to actuate the locks. They rapidly flash very sensitive. The BatteriesPlus guy said they could open it up and look at it, but would take no responsibility if they broke it trying to get it open. It depended on if it was heat welded or just glued. After seeing your pictures, I may let them have a look at one of them. How are they sealed and how did you get the case split?

·
Techmeister
K1600GA
2,591 Posts
The spring is inside those two little contact switches which are rectangular with little black dots on them. Those are the actuators. If you manipulate them you will likely feel they are a bit "loose" and not crisply seated. They should be decidedly open or closed and not soft. Net-net you have a FOB which has been used for years and a little piece of plastic and metal. Replace the FOB.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The spring is inside those two little contact switches which are rectangular with little black dots on them. Those are the actuators. If you manipulate them you will likely feel they are a bit "loose" and not crisply seated. They should be decidedly open or closed and not soft. Net-net you have a FOB which has been used for years and a little piece of plastic and metal. Replace the FOB.
Sadly, this is true....No way to band-aid it........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts