BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Anybody used ceramic coating instead of wax on their unit?
Any problems, tips on using it?
Happy New Year to everybody

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you clarify 'unit'? I presume you mean the paintwork on the bike?
Forgive my ignorance.

Happy New Year also.

Cheers,

Derek

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’m just waiting for the weather to improve before applying it, as it needs to be applied on a decent sunny day...winter sun in UK is not too hot ��

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I had a Audi A6 done 3 years ago. Dirt doesn't stick. Best part is car has nice shine most all the time. You never have to wax it. I had it done and product was Opticoat. Bit $$$ but think i would do it again. Also had entire front clip covered with a film (Xpel). This worked very well and i think i might go that route with a new bike. No tips but i think you can search and it's straight forward. Good luck.

Mike

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
when I got my bike I had it ceramic coated head to toe including motor, wheels, exhaust and of course all painted parts-basically everything but rubber. Its been months and still very easy to clean using Pinnacle Black Series quick detailer which you just spray on and wipe off and has a trace of ceramic in it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
https://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-glass-and-trim-coatings.html

Coatings are so different that prep, application and performance vary greatly. Some require meticulous prepping prior to application. Application of the coating itself seems to be easy but results vary because of certain characteristics of coatings. Some are problematic when you get thick spots. Application methods vary greatly. I just spotted the new Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax for $15.

·
Registered
166 Posts
BTW, F11 Top Coat sounds too good to be true. You see their ads everywhere. I looked up detailer forums and the consensus is that it is over priced and performs no better than commercially available spray waxes.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
I have used the ceramic coatings extensively.

1) Apparently long lasting and durable. I go to car washes with brushes a couple times a week as I am often off-road.

2) Works very well on glass or clear plastic. Rain beads and blows off well. Not as well as the NeverWet for glass though.

3) Way too easy to apply. Works on all smooth surfaces. Not intended for matte finish, but doesn't mess them up like any wax does. So easy you can reapply monthly without thinking it is any effort at all.

https://www.hydrosilex.com/

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I used 22PLE on all of the paintwork and wheels. Makes washing a breeze and it does seem to stay clean longer. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Should I have it professionally done or do you think its easy enough to be DIY? If it is easy, what brands do you recommend? Also I think it would be a good idea to add a clear-bra but I am not sure if you apply the ceramic before getting a clear bra and do you apply the coating on the bra?

thanks guys! I look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been using three quick detailer and banana spray wax by chemical brothers and luv it! It's a hybrid though so not a full on ceramic but it works really well and allot cheaper then f11!

·
Registered
981 Posts
My B16 is covered in bug gore.
"fish-fly" season here in Michigan...
He looks like a warrior that just returned from the Crusades against bugs.
I have tried many of these sprays and still have to use extreme effort to remove the carnage.
But **** it's worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have used the ceramic coatings extensively.

1) Apparently long lasting and durable. I go to car washes with brushes a couple times a week as I am often off-road.

2) Works very well on glass or clear plastic. Rain beads and blows off well. Not as well as the NeverWet for glass though.

3) Way too easy to apply. Works on all smooth surfaces. Not intended for matte finish, but doesn't mess them up like any wax does. So easy you can reapply monthly without thinking it is any effort at all.

https://www.hydrosilex.com/
I also have used hydrosilex on my GA. I used it on all painted and plastic surfaces. Cleaning is a breeze now only need to use water and a microfiber cloth.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I’ve used F11 for three years on all my cars, motorcycles and boats. While it is not cheap it takes very little product during use and may be less expensive to actually use because of this. I ordered three 16 oz bottles three years ago and have done 6 Jeep Grand Cherokee applications and 6 motorcycle applications. I still have roughly 20 ozs of the original 48 ozs ordered. Most importantly is it can be used safely on any of the vehicle surfaces including motorcycle windshields although tires and saddles would obviously not be wise. Just to be clear I’m not associated with F11 in any way that would be a conflict of interest but after 45 years of regular drivers and collector cars, motorcycles and boats this stuff - whatever it is - makes it possible to keep everything in top drawer shape and very clean with about 10% of the annual effort of all manner of waxes and sprays. Just one guy’s opinion but it might be worth trying if you haven’t. Happy to answer questions.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I was washing one of my cars today that had just come back from hail damage repair and had quite a few bugs sticking to it...haven't had a full tank of gas through it yet. Reminded me that the hood and front fender area were new and it was a pretty good bet the body shop did not bother waxing the newly installed parts. Made a note to myself to do so before driving it, again.

Back in 1998, I had bought a new pickup and the local car wash put on three layers of Liquid Glass product as part of an overall detail to the truck. That paint actually held up in pretty good shape for many years and a couple hundred thousand miles. That product, Liquid Glass, is no longer on the market. Maybe an indicator that it wasn't as great as I thought or maybe something else. I had taken another vehicle in for some paint repair last year and the guy at the shop was pushing his ceramic coating pretty hard. I took his card and that was about it. That car I had bought used, low mileage, but the original owner had a lot of the paint protection film put on it. I've now had the car a couple of years, although I only drive it in the nice weather. Paint protection film is raising up in a couple areas around the wheel wells and dirt gets sucked into the lifted spots. I had paint protection film put on my new truck, too. I take that off road quite a bit. The paint protection film has done pretty good with tree branches brushing along the side of the truck, but I will say it tends to grab road grime and the truck can look dirtier in a quicker manner. That said, a good hand washing and it looks fine, again. If I took it to a car wash...not so much. Especially the touchless car washes. I took a big rock into the front of the paint protected front end at 1156 miles on I-80 and ended up with a deep dent into the rather thick metal of the front hood...but the paint didn't chip and the film never split open, even after two years. Kind of mixed bag on how I feel about the paint protection film on the the truck: I covered a lot of it and it was expensive and it pretty much works as promised...but I have some scratches high up where I really didn't think I would get some branch dragging. Taking if off road for hunting and into the mountains for climbing...well, it gets exposed to a lot.

I should be receiving my new GTL in the coming weeks and want to give a good protection coating of something to it before I start putting the miles on it. As I said, the Liquid Glass first came to mind, but that is out of production (not going to use the remnants of the old stuff I found out in the garage). I was thinking a professionally applied coating would have to be cheaper than doing a larger auto, but haven't looked into a price estimate on that yet. Enjoyed reading the thoughts put forth here on some of your experiences. If anyone has anything else to add, I'll be watching!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
My new RS5 will be ceramic coated next week.

My bike is over a year old now. I might give it a go this winter. But I don't know at what age or condition ceramic coating is no longer recommended. There are a couple of minor nicks in the paint. The centerpiece on the tank has some "patina" from my nutsack forward style in the twisties. I have to polish it once in while to bring it back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts