BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a ceramic paint coating on my bike and rims. I happen to use Avalon King products but there are many others out there,

The idea is to seal up the paint to make it easier to clean and keep it shinier I did the rims too since they are always a challenge

Since my bike was new the prep was easy. A good washing with dish soap to remove all wax, dry, buff out any water marks so there was a clean surface then wiped down with alcohol to make sure there was nothing left on the surface of the paint.

Then you just use the applicator sponge to wipe the coating over the bike and rims. You can use it on anything except the seats. Let set for 3-5 min and wipe off.

I put on 2 coats to make sure I got good coverage and since one bottle is for a car there was no issue with having enough.

You have to let the bike sit for 24-48 hours after application to cure. Can not get it wet during that time.

I can say the results look good but the real test is long term shine and how easy it is to clean since that was one of the reason I put it on the bike.

I did use some of my Zaino final polish spray on coating after letting the bike set for the 48 hours just to add a bit deeper shine and have to say it looks great.

Will let you know what I think about it after a few months and especially after I have to wash but I expect it should help this is the same stuff auto dealers try to sell you for $100s that cost me like $40 and 4-5 hours of work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weights were already there this time around but do not think there will be an issue when I replace the tire they will just glue on a new set I have not heard of any issue with them staying

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just googled the wheel weight question and did not find anyone who has had a problem. Lots of people asking the same questions but no one I saw responded that they had had any issues. This was on both car and motorcycle blogs

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I did mine with Avalon King last year. Since then I have done the tractor (hood and cab), my buddies potato machine (100th anniversary HD), and my daughters car. All look great.
So does the road grime and bugs clean off the rims easier now that you have the Avalon King coating?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
So does the road grime and bugs clean off the rims easier now that you have the Avalon King coating?
I haven't done the wheels on the k1600 but on all the plastics, yes, its easier to clean now and micro-scuffs that used to glaze the paint no longer have any effect on the paint. I should go do the wheels.. like now.. or I should just add it to the list.. On my daughters car we did everything and its actually easiest to see the impact on the wheels as they get very dirty (dirt roads+road grime) and they clean with a fairly basic spritz and rinse. The spritz is some mild cleaner she bought to break up the surface of the grime, and then we rinse with water (we have a hot tap outside).

Next week we are doing another riding buddies HD, we have it torn down already and will spend the weekend cleaning up the plastics and wheels. Lots of buffing to do. The trick with the ceramics is to make everything you are putting it on as good as it can possibly be (best possible shape) because once you apply the coating you are trapping the paint or plastic or chrome in whatever condition you left it in until the ceramic wears off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts