BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether or not to knock out the 12k service now or wait until they do the recall work. From what I'm reading, they will have to drain the engine oil anyway. I'm at 11,800 and not exactly putting a lot of miles on the bike at the moment. I just have the time to do some wrenching. I'm prepping to do the services on the other bikes, so I figured the big one could join in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would hold off until tranny work is completed. Never know, that might be included in the repair work. At least oil and filter should be if they drain the oil anyway. Why waste your time and money for oil and filter now.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
From what I'm reading, they will have to drain the engine oil anyway
Where have you read this? Nothing I have seen in the publicized work steps includes anything to do with draining or changing the oil...

:unsure:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the transmission dry then? I don't recall any fluid changes associated with the gearbox. It has a gasket, so I assume it is lubricated and it comes from the engine oil.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Is the transmission dry then? I don't recall any fluid changes associated with the gearbox. It has a gasket, so I assume it is lubricated and it comes from the engine oil.
It is lubricated by engine oil, but it sits well above the oil pan and once the engine stops, the oil drains and the static oil level is well below the lowest part of the transmission.

Here are a couple pictures that might help. The tranny is circled.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether or not to knock out the 12k service now or wait until they do the recall work. From what I'm reading, they will have to drain the engine oil anyway. I'm at 11,800 and not exactly putting a lot of miles on the bike at the moment. I just have the time to do some wrenching. I'm prepping to do the services on the other bikes, so I figured the big one could join in.
Most of the parts are now flowing through to dealerships so I would be checking with your local dealership when you can expect your bike to be done, then make a decision on when to do it. Keep in mind as mentioned by StephenV above. If it is not too far off you could get it done while the recall is being performed at the same time. . Having said that I would not be going over the service time or milage too much as they can get a bit funny when and if you need to claim any warranty in the future.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Great illustrations provided by StephenV; when I was up at the dealership last month, they had that transmission cassette slid out and pointed straight down into the top of the oil reservoir, which was full of oil, replying to my question that there was no need to perform an oil change. I asked if I could take a photo, but they don't like photos of their work in the shop...so I just thanked them for taking me back to get an answer to the oil change question.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If they have to drain the oil, they do so into a clean container and then put it back!
Oil is cheap so why bother and change the filter along the way is cheap preventive maintenance although a little bit of over-servicing. I am not made of money but rather go that little bit further to be sure. I think once my 3D printer comes I might change my mind lol. I can make as much money as I am happy with haha!!! :cool:;):ROFLMAO:(y):geek::unsure:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is lubricated by engine oil, but it sits well above the oil pan and once the engine stops, the oil drains and the static oil level is well below the lowest part of the transmission
That makes sense. It's like the jugs on an R-bike. Might have to top it off at the end, but no need to drain. I still am going to hold off, mostly because I doubt they will top off with the same oil. Not like I'm riding it much now anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts