BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
After dealing with someone else's improper use of loctite today, I can't stress strongly enough to NOT use loctite unless it's absolutely necessary. I may have fixed that problem today but it could have cost me about 600 dollars worth of parts because someone followed the recommended path of "use loctite".
OK i'll put my soap box away, it's whiskey 30.

If you insist on using it, use the weakest stuff they make (purple), there really isn't much of anything on this bike that actually requires it.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Remember the K1600 is not a Harley where Loctite must be used on almost everything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
After thinking about changing the bulb - I just realized how much money you saved me. I was going to take it to the dealer and it would have probably costs me $400+, if not $500 (seeing that some of the post say the bulb at the dealer is $327, I paid $56 on Amazon + $8 for the 27mm socket (biggest I had was 21mm) and about an hour's worth of my time - I think it was well spent

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After thinking about changing the bulb - I just realized how much money you saved me.

I should start a Go-Fund-Me for this tip. NOT

I've received more good tips on this forum than I have contributed over the past 6+ years so I'm more than good. I don't know how we did it back in the day before forums and all we had were a few local friends to bounce ideas off of but we survived (lots of milk crates strapped to the seat) and had a good time getting to this stage in modern communication.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
After dealing with someone else's improper use of loctite today, I can't stress strongly enough to NOT use loctite unless it's absolutely necessary. I may have fixed that problem today but it could have cost me about 600 dollars worth of parts because someone followed the recommended path of "use loctite".
OK i'll put my soap box away, it's whiskey 30.

If you insist on using it, use the weakest stuff they make (purple), there really isn't much of anything on this bike that actually requires it.
Anything that uses one of BMWs encapsulated bolts needs at a minimum blue locktite. If you reuse the encapsulated bolts make sure to clean the old locktite from the bolt. If the encapsulated bolt is threaded into aluminium, and what isn't on the K1600, I also run a tap in the threads to clean out the locktite. Heat is your friend when dealing with the larger encapsulated bolts (shock/strut bolts come to mind) you can bugger up the threads without it. I'm not one to second guess engineers regarding the use of locktite on critical fasteners. YMMV... Oh yeah, sorry about the hijack!

·
Registered
18 Posts
lOW BEAM OUT

Thanks Jim, gonna do that. I assume yours is the "Adaptive" Xenon. $100 beats $335 by a rear tire!:smile: Rick

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Jim, gonna do that. I assume yours is the "Adaptive" Xenon. $100 beats $335 by a rear tire!:smile: Rick
Yes it was the Adaptive headlight with a Xenon bulb.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Good job will remember that for next time.I struggled the last time for hours trying to snap that dam clip,ended up making a tool from a piece of 1/8 rod bent just right to snap the clip from on top through the right side of the handle bar with the aid of a camera dennis

·
Mr.Fix It
8,102 Posts
@BluegrassPicker, here you go.

Duane

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the video but the k1600 has a different clip than that on the low beam. Still need guidance on how the clip works. I still can’t unhook the bottom of the clip

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My low beam burned out at 83,000 miles. I provided the bulb and the dealership perform the maintenance. Dealer charged me for an hour and a half of labor - $207.

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL

21 - 40 of 75 Posts